Seattle Sounders Eddie Johnson an “old man” at 28

Feb 15, 2013, 10:20 AM EDT

Guatemala v United States - World Cup Qualifier Getty Images

TUCSON, Ariz. – I had a few minutes to chat with Eddie Johnson yesterday at the Kino Sports Complex, where the ongoing Desert Diamond Cup approaches its second day of matches Saturday.

We had a good chat about U.S. national team matters and about his place with the Seattle Sounders. Remember, at this time last year the man’s career was seriously on the skids; we might have all reasonably concluded that Johnson’s time as a pro was kaput before that profound career resurrection in Seattle. We talked about some times back in the day; I first covered Johnson when he was 17 years old, the youngest every to score in MLS at the time.

As we chatted, Johnson kept saying things like “at my age” and “as an older player.” Meanwhile I’m thinking, “He’s 28!”

So I teased him about being an “old man” and how I was older than 28 when I first got to know him. (If I was already an old man then, and he’s an old man now … I don’t want to think about what that makes me today!)

But then I thought about it a second. Johnson (his MLS career stats are here) scored his first goal in 2001. If we started looking around for MLS men still passing and trapping who scored pre 9/11 goals, it’s going to be a mighty short list.

Johnson is entering his 13th professional season. His career has now wandered through four countries. (Five if you include last year’s failed trial in Mexico.) The guy does have a lot of wear on the tires. So many talented players cannot squeeze 12 or more years from their professional career.

So as he talks about his goals for 2013, there’s a healthy base of knowledge helping to create those targets.

Johnson stopped short of saying he would score 20 goals this year – which is a pretty shrewd way to say it. He wants 20 goals, and he truly appreciates how much faith Sigi Schmid and the Sounders have placed in him by loaning out Fredy Montero, entrusting that Johnson, a young strike partner and that stacked-and-packed Sounders midfield can provide goals in ample supply.

“I just want to do better than I did last year. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t want to score 20 goals,” Johnson said. “I feel like, with the players around me, the environment I’m in week-in and week-out, and most importantly staying healthy … I think 20 goals is doable. But it’s not going to be easy.”

Johnson went on to talk about an ever-improving league, about how different clubs approach matches and how that all ties into the difficulty of scoring 20 goals over a season.

All the marks of a man who has seen a lot over his long career.

Latest Posts
  1. MLS Snapshot: FC Dallas 0-0 Seattle Sounders

Mar 28, 2015, 10:41 PM EDT

Zach Loyd, FC Dallas Zach Loyd, FC Dallas

A disappointing result for FCD, given Seattle’s lack of Dempsey and Martins, but a great one considering their early red card.

2. MLS Snapshot: Vancouver Whitecaps 2-1 Portland Timbers

Mar 28, 2015, 10:06 PM EDT

Vancouver Whitecaps Vancouver Whitecaps

Three more points for Vancouver, who win it late on Robert Earnshaw’s Whitecaps debut. He scores for everyone.

3. MLS Snapshot: D.C. United 1-0 LA Galaxy

Mar 28, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT

D.C. United D.C. United

It was the late, late, late show at RFK Stadium, and despite being thoroughly outplayed, D.C. United go home with three points.

4. MLS Snapshot: New York City FC 0-1 Sporting Kansas City

Mar 28, 2015, 9:04 PM EDT

Ike Opara, Sporting Kansas City Ike Opara, Sporting Kansas City

Sporting KC get their first victory of the season, while NYCFC suffer their first defeat of the year — and history.

5. EURO 2016 qualifying roundup: Netherlands, Italy rescue draws; Bale, Wales go top

Mar 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT

Gareth Bale, Wales Gareth Bale, Wales

It wasn’t a great day to be a traditional European giant, but it was a great day to be Gareth Bale and Wales.

6. MLS Snapshot: New England Revolution 2-1 San Jose Earthquakes

Mar 28, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT

Kelyn Rowe, New England Revolution Kelyn Rowe, New England Revolution

A dominant performance — and the three points to match — from the Revs…finally.

7. Orlando City SC field a four-man bench due to injuries, MLS playing through int’l window

Mar 28, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT

Kaka, Orlando City SC Kaka, Orlando City SC

Think that MLS playing through int’l windows isn’t a big deal? Let’s ask Orlando City what they think about it.

8. If you only read one story on Sol Campbell today, let it be this one.

Mar 28, 2015, 2:50 PM EDT

Preview Screening of 'Invincibles' Getty Images

Campbell was capped 73 times, and is England’s second-youngest captain. Clearly he knows that, too.

9. WATCH: Gareth Bale just scored a nice free kick for Wales… if you’re into that sort of thing

Mar 28, 2015, 2:21 PM EDT

Israel Wales Euro Soccer AP

A win would give Wales a two-point lead in Group B with a game-in-hand on both Israel and Cyprus.

10. Freddy Adu has joined a new club, this one in Finland

Mar 28, 2015, 1:39 PM EDT

CBMeXdCVIAAteBM-300x225

The Canaries finished in 7th place last season in the Veikkausliiga, Finland’s top-flight.

11. Klinsmann’s USMNT struggles, experimentation in friendlies: Does it really matter?

Mar 28, 2015, 12:54 PM EDT

Denmark Soccer Usa AP

Should the States’ losses in friendlies represent anything other than a concern at the lack of US youth readiness for the big stage?

12. Liverpool’s Glen Johnson linked with summer move to, January start date with Barcelona

Mar 28, 2015, 12:08 PM EDT

Liverpool Training Session Getty Images

This likely comes as a surprise to Liverpool fans, as Johnson is widely treated rightly or wrongly as a scapegoat by Reds supporters.

13. Klinsmann explains philosophy behind mad scientist lineups, formations for USMNT

Mar 28, 2015, 10:37 AM EDT

Denmark US Soccer AP

Does the embattled USMNT coach have a point? I’m again bracing for the comment section when I say… I think so.

14. Russia wants full points from match abandoned after Akinfeev struck in head by flare (video)

Mar 28, 2015, 8:50 AM EDT

Russia's Igor Akinfeev hit by flare at Montenegro, match later abandoned Getty Images

Given UEFA president Michel Platini’s concerned words and warning about fan violence just this week, could he do something even more harsh?

15. Marsch critical of Klinsmann’s experimentation, lack of USMNT “identity”

Mar 28, 2015, 7:55 AM EDT

Jesse Marsch AP

The States are 1-4 in their last five matches, all four coming on the road (Colombia, Ireland, Chile and Denmark).

16. Injury update: England likely facing Italy without Welbeck, Sterling

Mar 27, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT

England v Slovenia - EURO 2016 Qualifier Getty Images

Both Danny Welbeck and Raheem Sterling will most likely be out of England’s friendly vs. Italy on Tuesday.

Week 30: Headline PL moment