Feb 16, 2013, 2:11 PM EDT
Here we go again.
I say that because Seattle has already been linked to a player out of Spain, but after a year of seeing another La Liga-based rumor bled until it wilted, we should approach this with a note of caution. The transfer of midfielder Joan Verdu from Espanyol got more traction in fantasy than real worlds. How do we know Javier Saviola’s rumored move won’t be the same?
First, the rumor: Saviola, a former Argentina international, is supposed to move to Seattle this summer. The 31-year-old former Barcelona and Real Madrid attacker just moved from Benfica to Málaga this summer and is second to only Isco in league goals for the club. Counting Champions League and Copa del Rey, Saviola has seven goals in 26 games, a relatively low ratio for a starting forward.
There are a couple of reasons this one makes more sense than Verdu. First, it’s being reported by TyC Sports in Argentina, a respected (though far from irreproachable source). Second, Saviola is out of contract in four months, having moved to Málaga on a one-year deal. Third, Saviola is at a place in his career where a move to Major League Soccer makes sense. Fourth, he fits a need, one that Seattle doesn’t appear to otherwise be filling. Finally, this one is being reported with confidence. Saviola’s supposedly set to be Seattle’s next Designated Player.
Almost none of those things were true for Verdu. Most of the Verdu reports were tenuous links that seemed to serve alternative club and agent purposes. Verdu’s contract also runs until this summer, meaning at the time rumors were most intense, he would have required a transfer fee. Still 29, a regular starter in midfield, and the team’s leading goal scorer (seven in 22 games), Verdu wouldn’t be short of options if he wanted to leave Espanyol. He’d also be moving to a team that has Ozzie Alonso, Brad Evans, Christian Tiffert and (relevant to how he could be used) Mauro Rosales.
So while there is a bit of de ja vu to this, there may always be a tedium to stories about Seattle’s open Designated Player spots. It’s an ambitious team with lots of money and (perhaps most importantly to this discussion) has its activities picked through with a fine-tooth comb. We’re going to constantly hear rumors surrounding the Sounders. Some will stick. Some won’t. Some make sense. Others don’t.
But whereas the Verdu rumor always seemed thin and never made complete sense, Saviola’s is the opposite. There’s a good source attaching an available player to a team with a need. It’s not difficult to see Saviola connecting with Eddie Johnson later this summer.
Sounders FC didn’t comment to local media about the speculation, so you’re just going to have to content yourself with highlights of Saviola’s Saturday goal against Athletic Bilbao, with the Andalusians winning 1-0 ahead of their mid-week, Champions League meeting against FC Porto:
May 22, 2013, 10:06 AM EDT
Yankee Stadium, Citi Field, Red Bull Arena… which venue could work best as a temporary home for New York City FC?
May 22, 2013, 8:54 AM EDT
The magic of the Cup lives on, as four PDL sides now face trips to MLS teams in the third-round. Is this the stuff dreams are made of?
May 22, 2013, 8:19 AM EDT
Pulis joins long list of EPL managers departing… is English soccer becoming more ruthless?
May 21, 2013, 8:02 PM EDT
Wait a minute … didn’t MLS commissioner Don Garber say there “is no Plan B …” beyond the Queens location?
May 21, 2013, 6:40 PM EDT
Well, phooey! Didn’t Dempsey just go through a summer of transfer instability?
May 21, 2013, 4:50 PM EDT
This and that as the U.S. contingent preps to gather in Cleveland ahead of five matches over the next few weeks:
May 21, 2013, 4:10 PM EDT
The updated ordering in ProSoccerTalk’s ranking of Major League Soccer teams following 12 rounds of play:
Officials from MLS, Yankees, Manchester City and NYC mayor Michael Bloomberg to speak tomorrow on expansion news
May 21, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
How very convenient that Manchester City just happens to be in the States for a brief two-game tour.
May 21, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
It’s really about two things, and not much else:
May 21, 2013, 2:05 PM EDT
By forming NYC FC, City and the Yankees have created a ‘sister-club’ relationship – an innovative bond between a Premiership and MLS club.
May 21, 2013, 1:23 PM EDT
Early thoughts on the facility and the ripples of today’s big announcement on the 20th MLS franchise:
May 21, 2013, 11:45 AM EDT
By swapping Dzeko for Cavani, City can hamstring Manchester United and Chelsea, as both are rumored to be seeking a world-class striker.
It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team.
May 21, 2013, 11:16 AM EDT
The league’s 20th franchise will begin play in 2015:
May 21, 2013, 9:33 AM EDT
During his Premiership tenure Toure has proven himself a leader, captaining both the Gunners and the Citizens, as well as Cote d’Ivoire.
May 21, 2013, 8:37 AM EDT
Has Daniel Levy already forgotten about what happened when he tried to pin Luka Modric down with this ‘no sale’ line of bull?
May 20, 2013, 11:58 PM EDT
Expect this one to get worked out.
May 20, 2013, 11:23 PM EDT
If Real Madrid’s going to shake things up, Higuaín could do worse than land at The Emirates.
May 20, 2013, 9:45 PM EDT
Four players were on the original list. None of them may end up at Stamford Bridge.
May 20, 2013, 8:13 PM EDT
Our sympathy continues to grow for a man in a bad spot.
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC 0
- Another EPL manager goes, as Tony Pulis leaves Stoke City 2
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market 14
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. 34
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? 8
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (34)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (14)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (13)
- Portland ball kid correct to deny Mario de Luna (12)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- Play Video: Premier League drama set to thrill
- Play Video: Premier League: Real English drama
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team