Feb 16, 2013, 5:33 PM EST
Two weeks after knocking off Real Madrid, Granada positioned themselves for an even bigger upset when they took a 26th minute lead today on visiting Barcelona. But after taking halftime to think it over, Lionel Messi, who came into Saturday’s match with 299 career all-competition goals, decided Barça wasn’t going to replicate their rivals’ error. Thanks to his second half double, Messi brought Barcelona back for a 2-1 victory.
The double raises Messi’s season total to 48 goals in 36 games. His 37 league tallies are 13 more than second-best Cristiano Ronaldo. He’s also scored 13 times (in 11 games) since the turn of the calendar.
Messi’s first came with Granada packed deep into their own end just after halftime. Cesc Fabregas let loose from 23 yards, and when Granada goalkeeper Toño blocked the shot back in front of goal. With Messi having peeled away from the defense after Fabregas released the shot, he was in perfect position for the put back:
Messi’s second could have been a response to Gareth Bale’s mid-week golazo, with a direct kick from the middle of the field giving the Barcelona star his choice for posts from just over 24 yards out. He chose left:
The win leaves Barcelona 15 points up on Atlético Madrid, who play at Real Valladolid tomorrow. They have a +53 goal difference and is on pace for 126 goals and a record 103 points.
They also take on Mario Balotelli and Milan on Wednesday in UEFA Champions League.
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 0
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 0
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 4
- Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018 3
- MLS announces Bayern Munich as opponent for 2014 All-Star Game in Portland 4
- WATCH: Can Tottenham stop Luis Suarez and can City beat Arsenal? 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (14)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Group B: No Walk In The Park