Feb 17, 2013, 9:46 PM EST
PORTLAND, Ore. — “The competition is going to show us our strengths and weaknesses,” FC Dallas coach Shellas Hyndman said after the match. He was right. Against an AIK team that is still a month-and-a-half away from their season opener, Dallas looked like the side that needed more fine-tuning despite the fact the match ended 0-0.
It was the first of a three-match set in Portland, where Dallas is competing in the Timbers’ 2013 preseason tournament. The San Jose Earthquakes are also part in the four-team competition that will take place over the next week.
The Stockholm-based “visitors” nearly went behind early, allowing Dallas big man Blas Pérez an open chance from the middle of the penalty area in the 16th minute. Goalkeeper Ivan Turina came off his line to block what would prove Dallas’s best change of the match.
The next 74 minutes laid out what Dallas needs to solve before the team opens the season March 2 against Colorado. Despite a respectable scoreline, most of Sunday highlighted areas Hyndman has to address:
- The team is clearly struggling with a new system. Having typically being a five midfielder, one forward team in recent seasons, Dallas’s glut of No.9s is inspiring a shift to a two-striker system. It’s still a work in progress.
- Kenny Cooper and Blas Pérez got the call on Sunday. Eric Hassli didn’t dress. Cooper played a slightly more advanced role, often shading right. Perez leaned left and was more withdrawn, if only slightly. David Ferreira sat behind the duo in the middle of a 4-1-3-2 formation that at times became a diamond. For the most part, Jackson and Fabio Castillo played very wide. Trialist Michel served the first half in defensive midfield before giving way to Andrew Jacobson.
- The major problem this setup presented was in middle. The gap between Ferreira and his defensive midfielder was often too much. “I thought we gave up a little too much in the center of midfield,” Hyndman said after the match, “but I was expecting that.” It’s preseason, it’s a work in progress, and now he knows.
- We’ll double back on Dallas’s formation issues tomorrow.
- Dallas’s fullbacks also struggled, but since we’re talking about Zach Loyd and Jair Benítez, you have to think the duo will come around to their normal level of performance. Loyd looked shakey covering runs behind him from AIK left midfielder Nabil Bahoui while Benítez was forced into too many negative balls from the pressure for Daniel Gustavsson.
Positives for Dallas:
- George John and Matt Hedges were strong in defense. John showed some midseason feistiness in a first half confrontation with forward Viiktor Lundberg while Hedges’s all-around game continued to show the promise of the partnership.
- Both Chris Seitz and Peruvian international Raul Fernandez were strong in goal. Hyndman was specifically complimentary about Fernandez, one of the team’s offseason acquisitions.
- Jackson was active at right midfield, proving valuable both pushing onto left back Nils-Eric Johansson and coming in to help in the middle. His second half pass to Cooper’s feet at eight yards out should have been a goal (Cooper struggled to get it out of feet before the shot was blocked).
Mar 8, 2014, 2:40 PM EST
Big wins for Man United, Chelsea and Cardiff on a stellar Saturday of PL action:
Mar 8, 2014, 2:35 PM EST
Sporting’s title defense begins at CenturyLink Field, with MLS’s first game of the 2014 season available on NBCSN and NBC Sports Live Extra.
Mar 8, 2014, 2:27 PM EST
Goals from Eto’o, Hazard and Ba with two hands Chelsea crucial win, as title race intensifies:
Mar 8, 2014, 1:45 PM EST
Barca could find themselves in third place by the end of the weekend, after losing 1-0 to Valladolid.
Mar 8, 2014, 1:22 PM EST
American forward Johannsson does it again, scores beauty to put AZ ahead:
Mar 8, 2014, 1:01 PM EST
The Fulham manager is convinced that his side can avoid the drop. But is that sort of optimism misplaced?
Mar 8, 2014, 12:10 PM EST
Other sides fighting the drop will be thrilled that Stoke and Norwich split the points available at Carrow Road.
Mar 8, 2014, 12:05 PM EST
Massive London derby at the Bridge, can Chelsea extend their lead at the top? Watch live, here:
Mar 8, 2014, 12:04 PM EST
Fulham remain dead last in the league after losing to fellow strugglers Cardiff – who themselves aren’t yet out of the woods.
Mar 8, 2014, 12:03 PM EST
Saints seal hard-fought win, as Eagles continue to battle at the wrong end of the table:
Mar 8, 2014, 11:32 AM EST
Moyes’ offense clicks as United turn on the style against the Baggies:
Mar 8, 2014, 9:42 AM EST
West Brom are in real danger of being relegated after losing to Manchester United at the Hawthorns.
Mar 8, 2014, 9:38 AM EST
Gunners seals FA Cup semi spot for first time since 2009:
Mar 8, 2014, 9:30 AM EST
Both Cardiff and Fulham are in desperate need of all three points – but will either manage to claim victory?
Mar 8, 2014, 9:25 AM EST
Is it a relegation dogfight or simple pursuit of safety? Check out Norwich – Stoke and decide for yourself.
Mar 8, 2014, 9:20 AM EST
Can the Eagles seal a big win to climb clear of the bottom three? Will Saints get back on track? Watch live, here:
Mar 8, 2014, 7:53 AM EST
Since his appointment as Tottenham manager, Tim Sherwood has elevated the side from seventh into fifth. But how much praise does he truly deserve?
Mar 8, 2014, 7:12 AM EST
Find out how to watch every single PL game live online of via the app:
Mar 8, 2014, 7:03 AM EST
West Brom are becoming masters of the late draw. Will they be able to catch United unawares?
Mar 7, 2014, 10:40 PM EST
Tony Fernandes is in hot water following his massive spending in attempts to keep QPR in the Premier League.
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Watch Live: Sporting Kansas City at Seattle Sounders (Lineups and discussion) 0
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- David Moyes on Manchester United’s win vs. West Brom: “That’s more like it” 0
- Arsenal 4-1 Everton: Gunners book FA Cup semifinal spot 0
- 2014 MLS Season: Hoping & Fearing with Montreal Impact
- Top Four Serie A Teams to Meet in Couple of Crucial Encounters
- Liverpool Eyeing Valencia Midfielder Dani Parejo
- Barca Have $83M for Transfers Plus Funds Raised from Sold Players
- What am I Watching?: The Paradox of the National Team
- Preview: Seattle Sounders vs Sporting Kansas City
- Liga MX Week 10 Round-Up: Toluca Keep Climbing
- New Look Whitecaps Aim to hit Ground Running Against NY Red Bulls
- Three Star Toluca Dominate in Victory Over Puebla
- Sweden Smash U.S. Women's National Team Undefeated 2-Year Record