Feb 17, 2013, 1:02 PM EDT
Chelsea could probably have done without Sunday’s FA Cup contest, another match to clutter up the West London side’s ongoing ambition in league and tournament play.
But it did, at least, provide the stage for Frank Lampard’s latest bit of history building around Stamford Bridge.
The longtime England international and virtual institution around Chelsea recorded goal No. 199 during his team’s FA Cup romp Sunday over tiny Brentford, a West London neighbor of the far more decorated Premier League outfit.
Juan Mata ran the show for Chelsea, but much of the talk will be about Lampard, who is about to become the second player in club history to round the 200-goal milepost.
Only Bobby Tambling has more with the club, striking 202 times in his days with the Blues from 1959-70. Obviously, that leaves Lampard will within striking distance of ensconcing himself as the club’s all-time scoring leader, something particularly impressive for a midfielder.
In fact, only four other Chelsea man scored as many as 150 with the club. The list of Chelsea all-time leading goal scorers:
- Bobby Tambling, 202
- Frank Lampard, 199
- Kerry Dixon, 193
- Didier Drogba, 157
- Roy Bentley, 150
- Peter Osgood, 150
What are Lampard’s chances of gaining the club’s all-time scoring leadership? Quite good, you’d have to say. First, he still takes penalty kicks for the club. Plus Lampard finds himself in absolutely wonderful form, hitting five goals in the Blues’ last six matches.
He has at least one more FA Cup contest plus 12 league matches. Rafa Benitez’s club looks good to go through in Europa League action, which means three more contests there.
His future with the club remains highly in doubt – but Lampard’s place in history around Stamford Bridge is clearly secure.
- PST Extra: Who are the Premier League’s top offseason acquisitions so far? (video) 0
- Premier League defenders: Who’s in our Top Five? And how to choose just five? 5
- Maps, rivals, stadiums: Location of all 20 Premier League teams for 2015-16 season 4
- On his way out of PSG, should Arsenal or Manchester United sign Zlatan Ibrahimovic? 1
- Tuesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Rose to Chelsea, Traore to Liverpool 1
- AZ Alkmaar agree to sell USMNT forward Aron Johannsson to Werder Bremen 3