Feb 17, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
There are lots of reasons to like Chicago this year. The midfield is improved over late last year, especially by the presence of Jeff Larentowicz, who is having an outstanding preseason.
In the central defensive pairing of Arne Friedrich and Austin Berry the Fire have an ideal blend of young talent guided by veteran know-how. Attacking leader Chris Rolfe gets the full benefit of preseason training that he didn’t have a year back.
Young goalkeeper Sean Johnson, about to begin his fourth season as a starter, is getting to the point where we can’t call him “young goalkeeper” anymore.
But there are also other pieces falling into place, like Logan Pause’s changing role.
Injuries are out there over a 9-month season. Believe it. Every team could use versatile men who can fill in ably at several positions, with precious little drop in experience, guile and ability. Pause is demonstrating the ability to be a valuable utility knife for Fire manager Frank Klopas.
Pause, 31, has been a steady starter for Chicago since 2003. His assignment has almost always been at holding midfielder. This year, with Larentowicz and Joel Lindpere brought in to man the center of Toyota Park, Pause has been shifted out to right back.
Saturday, as the Fire defeated Houston to open the annual Carolina Challenge Cup, Pause added yet another option for Klopas, displaying his work at left back.
Fire left back Gonzalo Segares left the match after 30 minutes with an ankle injury. Pause, the Fire captain, had started on the right but shuffled ably across the field as Jalil Anibaba came on to the play the right side.
Anibaba and Pause are competing for starter duty on the right side of Chicago’s back line. (Veteran trialist Pascal Chimbonda could have a say, too, if the Fire find reason to sign the former Spurs, Wigan and Blackburn right back.)
But if Pause can work along the right or left, not to mention providing an emergency chute for Klopas in the holding midfield spot – or an option during busy stretches – that becomes a tremendous value for Klopas and the Fire.
Jun 19, 2013, 11:22 AM EDT
Fabio Capello is the latest manager to say “no” to the defending Ligue 1 champions.
Jun 19, 2013, 10:23 AM EDT
Liverpool take a huge net loss on the 24-year-old while West Ham set their transfer fee record.
Jun 19, 2013, 9:48 AM EDT
Tragedy struck Chivas USA’s youth squad Monday night.
Jun 19, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT
At the call of fans and media alike, the FA Cup final at Wembley will return to its post-league date.
Jun 19, 2013, 8:35 AM EDT
The United States had the perfect lineup to slowly whittle away at the Honduras defense before it finally broke.
Jun 19, 2013, 7:45 AM EDT
The 24-year-old American has found a new team after spending 5 seasons at Villa Park.
Jun 19, 2013, 7:08 AM EDT
The Premier League has released its fixture list for the 2013/2014 season in its entirety. Find out the opening fixtures plus your favorite team’s derby here!
Jun 19, 2013, 2:00 AM EDT
Feel free to ask yourself at this point: where would the United States be in World Cup qualifying without its young, in-form striker:
Jun 18, 2013, 11:54 PM EDT
Jozy Altidore was the hero for the United States, cooly slotting a left-footed shot to hand the Stars & Stripes a 1-0 victory over Honduras.
Jun 18, 2013, 8:33 PM EDT
The LA Galaxy coach has taken aging players and made them useful parts of the roster before:
Jun 18, 2013, 7:14 PM EDT
Everyone loves “The Pope”
Jun 18, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
Our weekly re-ordering of Major League Soccer teams, following 16 rounds of play:
Jun 18, 2013, 2:05 PM EDT
Some of the best U.S. success in the past has come when the United States was backed into a corner. Tonight looks much different:
Jun 18, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
There are a few choices to be made ahead of Tuesday’s match in Utah:
Jun 18, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Unsaid in this narrative is this: most U.S. sites are bright and alive these days.
Jun 18, 2013, 11:06 AM EDT
Stuart Pearce has been relieved of his duties as manager of England’s U-21 squad.
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Pats' Hernandez questioned in murder case
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public