Three good questions for: Red Bulls coach Mike Petke

Feb 17, 2013, 8:30 AM EST

Petke head shot

Young coaches who once passed and trapped in the league are all the rage.

Two years ago, Ben Olsen was plucked from the recent player rolls to take charge at D.C. United. Last year it was Jay Heaps, wearing the label of the 30-something, MLS alum, rookie manager. He’s at New England.

Now it’s Mike Petke’s turn to uphold the honor of young buck managers and former MLS men attempting to demonstrate what seems clear to some of us: that knowledge of the league trumps international soccer savvy in terms of steering clubs here.

Of course, Petke isn’t thinking about all that; he’s just trying to keep it together during a crash course on head coaching. Now on the job for about a month, it’s on Petke to squeeze the most from the New York Red Bulls talented roster, one that just might include the most skillful man ever to wear MLS colors in Thierry Henry.

As you go through your first preseason – your first days as a professional head coach –do you have moments in the day where you might feel overwhelmed?

Absolutely. Being overwhelmed is a daily thing right now. But it’s how you react to it that matters. I’ve learned very quickly that I have to take moments out of the day, whether it’s to do a crossword puzzle, call my wife, just sit in the room and close my eyes. Just those couple of minutes are very important. I don’t get those every day. But, yes, there are definitely some overwhelming moments.”

You recently hired Robin Fraser, a highly respected figure who has been an assistant coach and head coach in MLS. How much does it help having that guy next to you in daily sessions, etc.?

He brings a ton of experience that is so vital for me as a coach, and for the team. His personality gels so well not only with me, but with the team. I knew Robin before he came here for the most part, but I’ve really gotten to know him over the last couple of week. He understands, I think, how I tick. And I made it clear to him, as I would have made it clear to anybody who got the job … that I didn’t want a ‘yes’ man. I can’t have a ‘yes’ man. I need someone to challenge me, to tell me when he disagrees with me. At the end of the day, of course I am going to make the decisions. But you need that give and take with somebody.”

Fans love talking tactics. What can you tell us about the basic formation you’d like to play?

We’re going to play a variation of an attacking style of play. You can put a label on it if you like. At times it’s going to be a 4-4-2, at times it’s going to be a 4-1-3-2, at times it’s going to be a 4-2-3-1, at times it’s going to be a 4-3-3. To us, it’s what happens when we lose the ball and how we react, to win it back. So to have the offensive power of Henry, of Cahill, of Espindola [and others …] for me, at this moment, to tell them we are going to play ‘this’ system handcuffs the type players we have. Of course, there has to be a basic starting point. But they are free to flow, to interact. The beauty to me is to see, especially, Henry and Espindola when they are interchangeable. “

Latest Posts
  1. Russia to cut budget for 2018 World Cup, as economy continues to struggle

Jan 29, 2015, 3:18 PM EST

FIFA FIFA

Putin and Russia have already had to cut costs for the 2018 World Cup.

2. Alexis Sanchez an injury concern for Arsenal

Jan 29, 2015, 2:43 PM EST

Arsenal v Southampton - Premier League

Arsenal’s main man is touch and go for this weekend’s game against Aston Villa.

3. Daniel Sturridge could return from injury for Liverpool this weekend against West Ham

Jan 29, 2015, 2:00 PM EST

Liverpool FC Training Session Liverpool FC Training Session

Liverpool’s leading striker could return to action this Saturday after five months out.

4. How will Chelsea, Manchester City line up in huge Premier League clash?

Jan 29, 2015, 1:02 PM EST

Manchester City v Chelsea - Premier League Getty Images

With players out and title dreams on the line, how will Chelsea and City line up on Saturday?

5. VIDEO: Jurgen Klinsmann’s a stud, backheels TWO balls at the same time

Jan 29, 2015, 11:43 AM EST

jurgen_klinsmann Getty Images

Watch Klinsmann’s insane piece of skill from the friendly vs. Chile on Wednesday. My word.

6. Lots drawn: Guinea in, Mali out as Africa Cup of Nations quarterfinals set

Jan 29, 2015, 11:08 AM EST

FBL-AFR-2015-MATCH24-GUI-MLI FBL-AFR-2015-MATCH24-GUI-MLI

Guinea won the lottery and are through to the last eight. Here’s the quarterfinal field for AFCON.

7. Freddy Adu heading back to MLS? Reports claims two teams interested

Jan 29, 2015, 9:45 AM EST

Fredy Adu made his first start for Bahia in Brazil. Getty Images

Former D.C. United, RSL and Union player heading back home?

8. DONE DEAL: Arsenal, West Brom and Villarreal all got new players Wednesday

Jan 28, 2015, 11:10 PM EST

arsenal.com arsenal.com

So what went down on Wednesday, as the transfer window took another step toward slamming shut?

9. VIDEO: Christian Eriksen scores a free kick for the ages in League Cup semi

Jan 28, 2015, 10:20 PM EST

Sheffield United v Tottenham Hotspur - Capital One Cup Semi-Final: Second Leg Getty Images

Set up for a free kick outside the 18, Eriksen not only sent an arrow whizzing over the goal, but he managed to spin it into the far upper 90.

10. Real Madrid will change the name of the Santiago Bernabeu

Jan 28, 2015, 9:58 PM EST

Bernabeu Getty Images

The La Liga giant has woked out a sponsorship deal with United Arab Emirates-based International Petroleum Investment Company (IPIC).

11. USMNT postgame reaction: Jozy unsure of 3-5-2, Klinsmann explains changes

Jan 28, 2015, 9:17 PM EST

Klinsmann AP

Jurgen Klinsmann remained upbeat, while Jozy Altidore was obviously disappointed.

12. Player Ratings: Some good, some not so good in Chile’s 3-2 win over the U.S.

Jan 28, 2015, 8:42 PM EST

Chile US Soccer AP

Breaking down the good, the bad and the ugly from Wednesday’s 3-2 loss in Chile.

13. 3-5-2 system shows life, but plenty of work is needed

Jan 28, 2015, 8:15 PM EST

Yedlin Getty Images

Jurgen Klinsmann said he played the 3-CB system because he had DeAndre Yedlin available. So did it work?

14. Chile 3-2 USMNT: Another lead disintegrates for Klinsmann’s crew

Jan 28, 2015, 8:00 PM EST

Chile US Soccer AP

Another match fell apart in a haze of substitutions and mistakes as the United States blew a 2-1 lead in Rancagua on Wednesday night.

15. WATCH: Yedlin to Diskerud to Altidore, and U.S. goes up 2-1 over Chile

Jan 28, 2015, 7:03 PM EST

Honduras v United States Getty Images

Maybe Sunderland just doesn’t know how to use its forwards.

16. At the half: Altidore, Shea have USMNT leading Chile 2-1 (video)

Jan 28, 2015, 6:54 PM EST

@USSoccer @USSoccer

It was sloppy at times, with the States very much getting used to the 3-5-2 and both sides using a bevy of second-choice players.

17. WATCH: Brek Shea opens the scoring for the USMNT in Chile

Jan 28, 2015, 6:48 PM EST

Ukraine v USA - International Friendly Getty Images

Brek Shea’s first USMNT goal in a year and a half was a pretty nice finish.

Top five Premier League goals: Week 22