Three good questions for: Red Bulls coach Mike Petke

Feb 17, 2013, 8:30 AM EST

Petke head shot

Young coaches who once passed and trapped in the league are all the rage.

Two years ago, Ben Olsen was plucked from the recent player rolls to take charge at D.C. United. Last year it was Jay Heaps, wearing the label of the 30-something, MLS alum, rookie manager. He’s at New England.

Now it’s Mike Petke’s turn to uphold the honor of young buck managers and former MLS men attempting to demonstrate what seems clear to some of us: that knowledge of the league trumps international soccer savvy in terms of steering clubs here.

Of course, Petke isn’t thinking about all that; he’s just trying to keep it together during a crash course on head coaching. Now on the job for about a month, it’s on Petke to squeeze the most from the New York Red Bulls talented roster, one that just might include the most skillful man ever to wear MLS colors in Thierry Henry.

As you go through your first preseason – your first days as a professional head coach –do you have moments in the day where you might feel overwhelmed?

Absolutely. Being overwhelmed is a daily thing right now. But it’s how you react to it that matters. I’ve learned very quickly that I have to take moments out of the day, whether it’s to do a crossword puzzle, call my wife, just sit in the room and close my eyes. Just those couple of minutes are very important. I don’t get those every day. But, yes, there are definitely some overwhelming moments.”

You recently hired Robin Fraser, a highly respected figure who has been an assistant coach and head coach in MLS. How much does it help having that guy next to you in daily sessions, etc.?

He brings a ton of experience that is so vital for me as a coach, and for the team. His personality gels so well not only with me, but with the team. I knew Robin before he came here for the most part, but I’ve really gotten to know him over the last couple of week. He understands, I think, how I tick. And I made it clear to him, as I would have made it clear to anybody who got the job … that I didn’t want a ‘yes’ man. I can’t have a ‘yes’ man. I need someone to challenge me, to tell me when he disagrees with me. At the end of the day, of course I am going to make the decisions. But you need that give and take with somebody.”

Fans love talking tactics. What can you tell us about the basic formation you’d like to play?

We’re going to play a variation of an attacking style of play. You can put a label on it if you like. At times it’s going to be a 4-4-2, at times it’s going to be a 4-1-3-2, at times it’s going to be a 4-2-3-1, at times it’s going to be a 4-3-3. To us, it’s what happens when we lose the ball and how we react, to win it back. So to have the offensive power of Henry, of Cahill, of Espindola [and others …] for me, at this moment, to tell them we are going to play ‘this’ system handcuffs the type players we have. Of course, there has to be a basic starting point. But they are free to flow, to interact. The beauty to me is to see, especially, Henry and Espindola when they are interchangeable. “

Latest Posts
  1. Cesc Fabregas claims he’s playing the best football of his life

Nov 26, 2014, 8:32 PM EST

Let's talk about Cesc... Getty Images

“I feel that right now I am playing some of the best football of my career,” Fabregas said.

2. Emile Heskey offers himself to Leicester City to help scoring woes

Nov 26, 2014, 7:38 PM EST

FBL-ENG-PR-DISCRIMINATION-HESKEY-SIN

“It goes without saying, I’d love to come,” Heskey told BBC Radio Leicester.

3. Franck Ribery lashes out at “politics” behind the Ballon d’Or

Nov 26, 2014, 6:44 PM EST

gareth_bale_franck_ribery AP

Poor Franck. All fired up and not even on the 23-man shortlist.

4. Despite their struggles, Liverpool’s season intact as spirit shines through

Nov 26, 2014, 6:00 PM EST

Can Liverpool build off this draw in Sofia? Their manager Brendan Rodgers has cause for optimism.

5. Champions League roundup: Arsenal, Atletico Madrid through, tense elsewhere

Nov 26, 2014, 5:21 PM EST

All the action from the penultimate games in Groups A-D, as two teams booked their spot in the last 16.

6. Paul Mitchell named Tottenham’s new head of recruitment

Nov 26, 2014, 5:19 PM EST

Paul Mitchell

The raid on Southampton continues, as their recruiting guru heads to Spurs.

7. Arsenal 2-0 Dortmund: Sanogo and Sanchez send the Gunners through to the Knockout Stage

Nov 26, 2014, 4:43 PM EST

Arsenal FC v Borussia Dortmund - UEFA Champions League Getty Images

It was an upbeat display from the Gunners, who move on to the Champions League knockout stage.

8. Ludogorets 2-2 Liverpool: Late equalizer spells more misery for Reds, but there’s hope

Nov 26, 2014, 4:42 PM EST

Reds cough up late goal, but can still advance to the last 16 of the UCL with a win over Basel in their final group game.

9. VIDEO: Real Madrid’s Cristiano Ronaldo scores 71st Champions League goal

Nov 26, 2014, 4:10 PM EST

FBL-EUR-C1-BASEL-REAL FBL-EUR-C1-BASEL-REAL

Watch Ronaldo go level with Raul as he puts some pressure on Messi.

10. At The Half – Arsenal 1-0 Dortmund: Sanogo’s strike the difference

Nov 26, 2014, 3:41 PM EST

Arsenal FC v Borussia Dortmund - UEFA Champions League

Good start for the Arsenal, scoring early through Yaya Sanogo.

11. Pochettino wants more rest between European and Premier League matches

Nov 26, 2014, 3:10 PM EST

Tottenham Hotspur FC Training and Press Conference Getty Images

As Tottenham continue to struggle, Mauricio Pochettino believes his team needs more rest between competitions.

12. Zenit St. Petersburg 1-0 Benfica: Danny strike eliminates Portuguese champs

Nov 26, 2014, 2:27 PM EST

FBL-EUR-C1-ZENIT-BENFICA Getty Images

The Zenit skipper earned three points for the home side as Benfica’s Champions League dreams ended in St. Petersburg.

13. LIVE – Champions League: Arsenal host Dortmund, Liverpool face Ludogorets

Nov 26, 2014, 1:58 PM EST

Britain Soccer Champions League AP

Follow all the action from the UCL’s eight games on Wednesday, right here.

14. Liverpool legend says Simon Mignolet is ‘worse than Dracula’

Nov 26, 2014, 1:13 PM EST

Norwich City v Liverpool - Premier League Getty Images

Former Reds’ goalkeeper Bruce Grobbelaar had some choice words for the struggling Simon Mignolet as Liverpool’s tumultuous season continues.

15. Arjen Robben: Bayern were ‘brutally punished’ by City

Nov 26, 2014, 12:29 PM EST

Manchester City FC v FC Bayern Muenchen - UEFA Champions League Getty Images

The Bayern star was outshone by Sergio Aguero’s hat trick in Munich’s 3-2 loss to Manchester City.

16. Victor Moses out up to eight weeks with injury

Nov 26, 2014, 11:30 AM EST

Stoke City v West Ham United - Premier League Getty Images

Stoke City will be without their on-loan winger as the Nigerian international is sidelined with a thigh injury.

17. Men in Blazers podcast: Kyle Martino joins to talk Thanksgiving and tie knots

Nov 26, 2014, 10:45 AM EST

meninblazers

Rog and Davo scrutinize Arsenal, Manchester United and Liverpool and welcome Kyle Martino to the pod.

18. Champions League Wednesday preview: Arsenal can advance, Liverpool need kick-start

Nov 26, 2014, 10:19 AM EST

FBL-EUR-C1-LIVERPOOL-LUDOGORETS Getty Images

Eight Champions League matches take place today as Arsenal and Liverpool both look to rebound from Premier League losses.

19. Cesc Fabregas offended by Sergio Ramos’ comments

Nov 26, 2014, 9:25 AM EST

Chelsea v Arsenal - Premier League Getty Images

Spanish defender Sergio Ramos questioned some players loyalty to the national team, which didn’t sit well with Cesc Fabregas.

PST Extra: Top 4 showdowns on Sunday