Feb 18, 2013, 6:33 PM EDT
If Adam Serrano does not know it about the LA Galaxy, it’s probably not worth knowing.
So I was intrigued when I saw the Galaxy blogger throw down some lineup predictions for the champs – a team with a little more roster tumult at the moment than manager Bruce Arena would probably prefer.
As you examine what Serrano says and his array of lineup predictions / options, consider the pressure points from Bruce Arena’s standpoint, which include:
- Working out the ideal lineup without one Designated Player yet to be replaced (David Beckham) and another who will miss a month of matches at very least (Landon Donovan).
- Selecting a center back partner for Omar Gonzalez. Tommy Meyer and A.J. DeLaGarza (pictured) have both sat alongside the big U.S. international in preseason contests. DeLaGarza can play along the right or centrally.
- Finding the best spot for Mike Magee relative to Donovan and where the club’s all-time scoring leader will eventually fit. Colin Clark’s emergence as an apparent force that will demand defensive attention along the left – Are we about to see the Clark who was rampaging with the Rapids three years back, prior to a crushing knee injury? – gives Arena one more option.
- Getting the best of a midfield that looks a little tame at the moment compared to last year’s.
- Arena has two preseason contests to sort it out, vs. Club Tijuana on Feb. 19 and the Colorado Rapids on Feb. 22. Remember, the Galaxy need to get it right early, not so much for MLS but for those March quarterfinal matches in CONCACAF Champions League.
- MLS Atlanta urges David Beckham, Miami to share stadium with Dolphins 3
- Reality check: Outclassed by Real Madrid, what now for Liverpool? 0
- After winless October, USA drop out of top 20 in latest FIFA rankings 3
- PST’s MLS Rookie of the Year: Shipp, Hagglund, Akindele or Birnbaum? 0
- It’s official: World No. 3 Colombia to face USMNT in London on Nov. 14 0
- VIDEO: Top 10 goals of the MLS season (heading into the final weekend) 2