Feb 19, 2013, 12:50 PM EDT
United States under-20 national team is off and running in World Cup qualifying thanks to a big performance from Daniel Cuevas, currently property of Santos in Mexico’s Liga MX.
The United States got off to a good start result-wise – although perhaps not an outstanding one performance-wise – Monday night in Mexico. Cuevas and Real Salt Lake’s Luis Gil had a first half goal each as the Americans opened the 2013 CONCACAF U-20 Championship with a 2-1 victory against Haiti in Puebla, Mexico.
Four teams from the ongoing CONCACAF qualifying tournament in Mexico will advance to Turkey for the 2013 FIFA Under-20 World Cup.
Tab Ramos’ team had a 2-0 lead after 26 minutes, but the defense had its iffy moments and the United States was in “hang on” mode by the end as Haiti threatened to snatch a late equalizer.
What Ramos said: “It was a difficult match for us. We knew that Haiti had very good players. I think we did a good job in the first half, coming out strong and trying to put the game away. I felt that once we didn’t get that third goal before halftime that there was a good chance that if [Haiti] got a goal that somehow it would turn into a game, and it did.”
J.R. Eskilson from Top Drawer Soccer, a site dedicated to the elite youth and college elements of domestic soccer, didn’t grade many of the young American men very well.
He handed out middling “5s” to Gil and to the LA Galaxy’s Jose Villarreal, who were expected to lead the U.S. attack.
[on Gil] … The Real Salt Lake youngster scored the opener, but he should have had at least two other goals. Gil missed an open header in the opening stages of the game, and later shanked a shot from eight yards out. Either finish likely would’ve have been the contest to bed in the opening half.
[on Villarreal] The LA Galaxy winger had a couple of decent services on set pieces, but did not have much from the run of play.
But he did have good things to say about Cuevas, who grew up in Sacramento.
Jun 19, 2013, 2:00 AM EDT
Feel free to ask yourself at this point: where would the United States be in World Cup qualifying without its young, in-form striker:
Jun 18, 2013, 11:54 PM EDT
Jozy Altidore was the hero for the United States, cooly slotting a left-footed shot to hand the Stars & Stripes a 1-0 victory over Honduras.
Jun 18, 2013, 8:33 PM EDT
The LA Galaxy coach has taken aging players and made them useful parts of the roster before:
Jun 18, 2013, 7:14 PM EDT
Everyone loves “The Pope”
Jun 18, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
Our weekly re-ordering of Major League Soccer teams, following 16 rounds of play:
Jun 18, 2013, 2:05 PM EDT
Some of the best U.S. success in the past has come when the United States was backed into a corner. Tonight looks much different:
Jun 18, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
There are a few choices to be made ahead of Tuesday’s match in Utah:
Jun 18, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Unsaid in this narrative is this: most U.S. sites are bright and alive these days.
Jun 18, 2013, 11:06 AM EDT
Stuart Pearce has been relieved of his duties as manager of England’s U-21 squad.
Jun 18, 2013, 9:34 AM EDT
Australia join Brazil and Japan as nations that already have booked their place in next summer’s World Cup.
Jun 18, 2013, 7:56 AM EDT
Hearts have put the entire squad up for sale to raise the reported £500,000 needed to get the club to the start of the season.
Jun 18, 2013, 12:10 AM EDT
Brazil has infrastructure concerns. They’ve also spent $3.3 billion on soccer stadia. No surprise, people aren’t happy.
Jun 17, 2013, 10:43 PM EDT
The mythology of Ajax, Dutch soccer and one stars’ struggles outside the Dutch league make this potential transfer difficult to evaluate.
Jun 17, 2013, 8:23 PM EDT
It’s only a matter of time before Ancelotti’s holding pattern’s resolved.
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Heat force Game 7
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public