Feb 19, 2013, 3:03 PM EDT
Scoring in soccer is undeniably thrilling. But seriously, guys! Must you completely lose your minds?
Is it really so difficult to celebrate with some old fashioned jumping, hooting, hollering, fist pumping, chest bumping, cradle rocking or any of the other trusty old stand-bys?
Every once in a while, some overly excited type runs afoul of the celebration police with a t-shirt message that crosses the line.
And we have long known that shirt removal is a cautionable offense, although players regularly treat that as more guideline than rule – and reliably get booked for it.
We have even had some notorious cases where players are shown yellow for celebrating with the crowd. (Punishing that one just seems mean.)
But this … this one is a head-scratcher. Who thought some celebratory crotch-grabbing was really a good idea?
According to Reuters, Liga MX’s disciplinary committee has fined two players in Mexico for obscene gestures while celebrating goals over the weekend. Luis Carlos Tejada and Efrain Velarde will each pay about $10,000 for that lapse in good judgment.
The aforementioned offenses, first from Velarde of UNAM Pumas; he scored his team’s only goal in a 1-0 weekend win over Morelia:
And then from Toluca’s Tejada, whose teams scored in added time to manage a 2-2 draw at fabled Azteca Stadium with Pumas. The real kicker here: Tejada didn’t even score the darn goal!
- Can the United States deal with success vs. Honduras? 1
- Lineup prediction for U.S.-Honduras qualifier 2
- Big opportunity ahead as United States faces Honduras in World Cup qualifying action 1
- Huge cost of World Cups: Did we need a protest like Brazil’s to point out the obvious? 9
- Early returns from England’s offseason tell a tale of two Manchesters 0
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- LIVE: Spurs-Heat, Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public