Feb 19, 2013, 3:03 PM EDT
Scoring in soccer is undeniably thrilling. But seriously, guys! Must you completely lose your minds?
Is it really so difficult to celebrate with some old fashioned jumping, hooting, hollering, fist pumping, chest bumping, cradle rocking or any of the other trusty old stand-bys?
Every once in a while, some overly excited type runs afoul of the celebration police with a t-shirt message that crosses the line.
And we have long known that shirt removal is a cautionable offense, although players regularly treat that as more guideline than rule – and reliably get booked for it.
We have even had some notorious cases where players are shown yellow for celebrating with the crowd. (Punishing that one just seems mean.)
But this … this one is a head-scratcher. Who thought some celebratory crotch-grabbing was really a good idea?
According to Reuters, Liga MX’s disciplinary committee has fined two players in Mexico for obscene gestures while celebrating goals over the weekend. Luis Carlos Tejada and Efrain Velarde will each pay about $10,000 for that lapse in good judgment.
The aforementioned offenses, first from Velarde of UNAM Pumas; he scored his team’s only goal in a 1-0 weekend win over Morelia:
And then from Toluca’s Tejada, whose teams scored in added time to manage a 2-2 draw at fabled Azteca Stadium with Pumas. The real kicker here: Tejada didn’t even score the darn goal!
- Alan Pardew handed hefty ban, fined for headbutt 1
- Preview: Atlético Madrid back on track before Champions League visit from goal-shy Milan 0
- Preview: Bayern Munich on guard ahead of Arsenal’s Champions League visit 0
- Third time’s the harm: Fan violence forces abandonment of Trabzonspor’s match with Fenerbahce 2
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 1
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 4
- Sporting KC's Television Network Expands
- American Investment Firm Buying Up Man United Stock
- Earthquakes vs. Toluca: CONCACAF Champions League
- San Jose Earthquakes Acquire Benfica Midfielder Yannick Djalo
- Revs Waive DelPiccolo; Roster Stands at 27
- Inter President Denies Holding Talks with Chicharito
- Nearly Perfect Start for Galaxy, Result Aside
- USWNT Lose to Denmark 5-3 in Algarve Cup
- Real Salt Lake's Nick Rimando Named MLS Player of the Week
- Will Johnson Signs New Multi-Year Contract With Portland Timbers