Feb 20, 2013, 11:16 AM EST
Nobody seriously thought a World Cup qualifier in Denver would not sell out, right?
There did seem to be some concern about a United States contest at DSG Park outside of Denver. Some might have been typical, envious grousing; there aren’t enough World Cup qualifiers to go around now, considering all the worthy soccer-specific facilities equipped to handle the high-profile matches.
Some of us tried to tell everyone just to relax,not to get their darn soccer shorts in a twist, that the March 22 match against Costa Rica would sell out, no problem.
Sure enough, weeks ahead of the match, every seat inside Dicks Sporting Goods Park has been sold. So says U.S. Soccer in a release.
By the way, this is not exactly a “must-win.” But considering the less-than-ideal result two weeks ago in Honduras, and considering the pressure that would build to weapons-grade level, it’s not far from being one.
- UEFA Champions League recap: Barça, Chelsea, Dortmund claim groups; Arsenal through; Juve out 0
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- Arsenal advance in Champions League, but Napoli out despite win 0
- Venue Guide: Check out where the USA will play at 2014 World Cup in Brazil 5
- Premier League Power Rankings: Everton flying, Manchester United nosedive – Week 14-15 1
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"