Feb 20, 2013, 6:27 PM EDT
September 11, 2010 was the last time Barcelona lost a game that mattered by more than one goal. That’s when Nelson Haedo Valdez scored twice at the Nou Camp to lead Hercules over the then-Spanish Champions.
Barcelona did lose a Copa del Rey match at Real Betis 3-1 later that season, but having build a 5-0, first leg lead at home, the match in Seville was a formality.
That’s how rare today’s result is. Milan, a team that was 0-2-2 in their four meetings with Barcelona over the last two years, took a 2-0 lead after the teams’ first leg in Milan on Wednesday.
Goals from Kevin Prince Boateng and Sulley Muntari gave the victory a very Ghanian feel while also putting the tournament favorites on the brink of elimination. Failing to generate a decent scoring chance, Barcelona leaves Milan without a road goal. If they don’t keep a clean sheet at the Nou Camp, Barcelona will need four goals to go through.
It’s been six years since Barcelona failed to get past the Round of 16, but after Barça’s lackluster performance in Italy, were looking at a potential Champions League quarterfinal without the Blaugrana or Real Madrid.
Here are the highlights, courtesy of FOX Soccer:
Later today we’ll break down Schalke 04′s performance in Istanbul against Turkish champions Galatasaray.
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 0
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 2
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Juventus Prove They Know how to Win Despite Weak Performance Against Fiore
- Liverpool is Ready to Spend $100 Million in Summer Transfers
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return