Feb 21, 2013, 2:15 PM EDT
Alexi Lalas dropped by the Colbert Report on Wednesday night to talk match-fixing scandals and tangle with the host. There was chatter, there was fake diving, there were some good times.
A personal favorite line: “Don’t be a boob, Steve.”
But did you know that Lalas has been on the show before? We tracked down his two other stints in the hot seat.
His first appearance came in 2006, when the duo discussed the World Cup. Lalas was the LA Galaxy president at the time — pre-Beckham, yo — and played straight man as Colbert worked in some fantastic barbs about the Czechs, Ghana, and Fat Ronaldo:
In 2009, Lalas wandered onto the set to help a very close-cropped Colbert figure out if Americans should care about soccer after the 1-0 victory over Spain and before the Gold Cup. Conclusion: “Soccer, it’s the new American sport.”
It’s good stuff, all of it. Lalas does well to battle Colbert, better than most of his guests anyway. More of this, please.
- Real Madrid’s Perez says De Gea move failed because Manchester United lacks transfer “experience” 0
- Preview: USMNT to face Peru in tune-up for CONCACAF playoff vs. Mexico 0
- Three things we learned from USA U-23’s defeat vs. England U-21 0
- If you’ve ever criticized Jurgen Klinsmann or his USMNT, you don’t understand soccer 33
- How will USMNT line up in friendly vs. Peru? 8
- VIDEO: PST Extra analyzes how Deadline Day played out across the Premier League 0