Feb 21, 2013, 2:15 PM EST
Alexi Lalas dropped by the Colbert Report on Wednesday night to talk match-fixing scandals and tangle with the host. There was chatter, there was fake diving, there were some good times.
A personal favorite line: “Don’t be a boob, Steve.”
But did you know that Lalas has been on the show before? We tracked down his two other stints in the hot seat.
His first appearance came in 2006, when the duo discussed the World Cup. Lalas was the LA Galaxy president at the time — pre-Beckham, yo — and played straight man as Colbert worked in some fantastic barbs about the Czechs, Ghana, and Fat Ronaldo:
In 2009, Lalas wandered onto the set to help a very close-cropped Colbert figure out if Americans should care about soccer after the 1-0 victory over Spain and before the Gold Cup. Conclusion: “Soccer, it’s the new American sport.”
It’s good stuff, all of it. Lalas does well to battle Colbert, better than most of his guests anyway. More of this, please.
- CONCACAF Champions League: D.C. United battered by Alajualense, 5-2 0
- Keller, Hejduk, Conrad headline 13 new eligibles for National Soccer HOF 0
- Europa League roundup: Tottenham, Liverpool out; Everton, La Liga sides advance 0
- Besiktas 1-0 (1-1) Liverpool: Arslan makes, Lovren misses final PK as Reds go out of Europe 7
- Fiorentina ousts Tottenham from the Europa League with 2-0 win at the Stadio Artemio Franchi 1
- Strike season? Real Salt Lake owner calls free agency “go nowhere conversation” 7