Feb 21, 2013, 10:09 AM EDT
Ah, citizen journalism. It can change the world, as we know.
Clearly, Landon Donovan’s words spoken to a USC business class Wednesday are not somehow historic in the way, say, the citizen journalist’s pictures that showed Rodney King’s brutal beating were, or the vital chronicles of the Arab Spring.
But for soccer supporters, this represents the first we’ve heard from Donovan since the moments after his LA Galaxy won MLS Cup last December.
Donovan appeared in a regular University of Southern California forum called “The Competitive Edge.” A student identified on Twitter as Jesse Xiao went to the social media forum to alert the world that, among other things, Donovan did want to get back into the national team.
Have a nice day, Jurgen Klinsmann! That should put a little more pep in his step.
Donovan has taken time off since MLS Cup; he recently announced through the Galaxy a return to the MLS club set for late March.
While the quotes attributed to Donovan have yet to be corroborated, the U.S. national team and LA Galaxy all-time leading scorer has ample ability through either organization to disclaim the words attributed to him. Presumably, he would have by now if any were less than accurate.
Among what Xiao tweeted:
- Transfer needs – Everton, Hull, Leicester, Liverpool, Manchester City 1
- Olivier Giroud undergoes ankle surgery, out 3-4 months for Arsenal 0
- $410 million Las Vegas soccer stadium deal closer; next stop, Major League Soccer… 10
- Report: Arsenal bid $82 million for Edinson Cavani. Remy, Falcao, Welbeck linked 9
- Confirmed: Neil Warnock takes over at Crystal Palace; what will he bring? 0
- PST’s Major League Soccer Power Rankings – Whole New World Edition 1