Feb 21, 2013, 10:09 AM EDT
Ah, citizen journalism. It can change the world, as we know.
Clearly, Landon Donovan’s words spoken to a USC business class Wednesday are not somehow historic in the way, say, the citizen journalist’s pictures that showed Rodney King’s brutal beating were, or the vital chronicles of the Arab Spring.
But for soccer supporters, this represents the first we’ve heard from Donovan since the moments after his LA Galaxy won MLS Cup last December.
Donovan appeared in a regular University of Southern California forum called “The Competitive Edge.” A student identified on Twitter as Jesse Xiao went to the social media forum to alert the world that, among other things, Donovan did want to get back into the national team.
Have a nice day, Jurgen Klinsmann! That should put a little more pep in his step.
Donovan has taken time off since MLS Cup; he recently announced through the Galaxy a return to the MLS club set for late March.
While the quotes attributed to Donovan have yet to be corroborated, the U.S. national team and LA Galaxy all-time leading scorer has ample ability through either organization to disclaim the words attributed to him. Presumably, he would have by now if any were less than accurate.
Among what Xiao tweeted:
- UEFA Champions League preview: Can PSG, Bayern come back from 3-1 down to Barcelona, Porto? 0
- MLS Team of the Week — Stars of Week 7 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Big climbers galore as momentum kicks in 1
- Premier League Playback: Manchester United prove they can challenge Chelsea for the title 2
- Sepp Blatter: Putin, Russia will host “best ever World Cup” in 2018 3
- Real Madrid’s Gareth Bale set to miss three weeks, Champions League clash vs. Atletico, with injury 1