Feb 21, 2013, 3:45 PM EST
Hotspur waited until the death, but they got what they came for in France.
Mousa Dembélé’s 90th-minute goal put the North London club through to the Europa Cup round of 16. The description on UEFA.com is magical: “Dembélé (Tottenham) scores! With time running out, the cultured midfielder buries the ball in the far corner with a thunderous low shot from 25 metres out on the left.”
For nearly the entire game, it looked as though Lyon would advance. In the 17th minute, Maxime Gonalons put the French side up 1-0 and evened the home-and-home 2-2 on aggregate. Lyon, however, led, thanks to the away goal it scored in the previous match.
But Tottenham kept on fighting. Clint Dempsey came on in the 66th minute for Aaron Lennon and nearly equalized himself but blasted a header over the crossbar. Twenty-four minutes later, his teammate would make amends.
Tottenham will meet Inter Milan in the round of 16.
The trip to the Continent wasn’t all good, however, as a group of Tottenham fans were attacked in Lyon the night before the match. Roughly 50 assailants threw chairs and made Nazi salutes after breaking into a Spurs supporters party. Stay classy, Europe.
And here’s a link to a gif of Brad Friedel trolling the Lyon faithful because why not?
- WATCH: Premier League TV Schedule – Week 16 1
- Manchester United’s Robin van Persie faces lengthy spell out 0
- Behind the Brazuca: NBC’s extensive research hints less “knuckle-ball” in Brazil, NASA agrees 3
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 3
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 3
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 5
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (16)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Group B: No Walk In The Park