Feb 21, 2013, 3:45 PM EST
Hotspur waited until the death, but they got what they came for in France.
Mousa Dembélé’s 90th-minute goal put the North London club through to the Europa Cup round of 16. The description on UEFA.com is magical: “Dembélé (Tottenham) scores! With time running out, the cultured midfielder buries the ball in the far corner with a thunderous low shot from 25 metres out on the left.”
For nearly the entire game, it looked as though Lyon would advance. In the 17th minute, Maxime Gonalons put the French side up 1-0 and evened the home-and-home 2-2 on aggregate. Lyon, however, led, thanks to the away goal it scored in the previous match.
But Tottenham kept on fighting. Clint Dempsey came on in the 66th minute for Aaron Lennon and nearly equalized himself but blasted a header over the crossbar. Twenty-four minutes later, his teammate would make amends.
Tottenham will meet Inter Milan in the round of 16.
The trip to the Continent wasn’t all good, however, as a group of Tottenham fans were attacked in Lyon the night before the match. Roughly 50 assailants threw chairs and made Nazi salutes after breaking into a Spurs supporters party. Stay classy, Europe.
And here’s a link to a gif of Brad Friedel trolling the Lyon faithful because why not?
- Transfer Rumor Roundup: Spurs to snatch Laporte, Liverpool in for Reid 0
- Southampton 0-1 Swansea: Shelvey snatches win with sensational late strike 0
- Arsenal 5-0 Aston Villa: Gunners torch hapless Villa with deadly counters 0
- Diego Costa maintains his innocence, says “I’ve not done anything wrong” 4
- DONE DEAL: Seydou Doumbia to Roma headlines quiet Saturday for transfers 0
- Premier League Sunday preview: Top-half teams jockey for position 0