Paris Saint-Germain changes logos. Again.

Feb 22, 2013, 9:21 AM EDT

New PSG logo

I was about to twist off on Paris Saint-Germain for changing its logo, for rejecting the very element that makes soccer supporters in the New World so very jealous: that European soccer comes attached to real history.

I was aware that Paris Saint-Germain’s relatively late establishment (in 1970) made it much younger than most of the European heavyweight clubs. Still, that’s a good, solid 40 years and change.

But then I did the research. Turns out, PSG changes logos about as often as Larry King changes wives.

So, I guess the new logo isn’t such a big deal. It does have a certain cleanliness and tidiness about it, eh?

(And I will resist the cynical notion that the newest logo switcheroo is somehow attached to David Beckham’s arrival, to the desire to squeeze the most possible splash from Becks’ ballyhooed arrival. … Must. Resist. … Difficult …)

Here are the PSG logos through the years. The new one, of course, is above and to the right.

source:

1. randomhookup - Feb 22, 2013 at 10:05 AM

What’s that in the older logos under the Eiffel Tower? It looks like a baby carriage.

• wesbadia - Feb 22, 2013 at 11:16 AM

It reflects the St Germain side of the club, which was the birthplace of King Louis XIV. Both are apart of royal Parisian/French history. It’d be like putting “1776” on the Revs kit; or the Screaming Eagle on the DCU kit.

• randomhookup - Feb 22, 2013 at 11:34 AM

But is it a baby crib? It’s not exactly as stirring as “1776” if it is.

• wesbadia - Feb 22, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Lol, a cradle, but yes… for a baby.

Commence the obligatory French pansy comments, I suppose.

• wesbadia - Feb 22, 2013 at 12:56 PM

What I find less “stirring” about the cradle is the fact that it represents Louis XIV, the dude whose rule led directly to the French Revolution. It’d be like the US honoring King George on our flag.

• randomhookup - Feb 22, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Nothing says “winning team” like a cradle… I suppose.

2. j_cortinovis - Feb 22, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Louis XIV was born in Saint Germain en Laye. The baby crib is the symbol of the city because the king was born there. That’s why the crib appears on the coat of arms of this city and appeared on the logo of Paris Saint-Germain

3. sdbeisbol - Feb 22, 2013 at 4:34 PM

What I find interesting is that they are focusing on “Paris” more so than “Paris Saint-Germain” by separating the words and using a bigger font for Paris. But I guess that’s marketing at its finest lol

4. krimsonyx - Feb 22, 2013 at 6:51 PM

It looks great though.

5. bwholl - Feb 23, 2013 at 5:55 PM

I didn’t know PSG used to be a TV Network (1992-1996)

6. thereep - Feb 26, 2013 at 9:11 AM

They won’t need a logo when France begins taxing their best players 75% of their income.

7. unclemosesgreen - Feb 26, 2013 at 12:02 PM

It works like this: sign David Beckham, make small changes to logo, sell enough shirts to clothe China.

Official: Welbeck signs for Arsenal