Feb 22, 2013, 11:17 AM EST
Leaving camp is never a good sign. Everyone around Toronto FC was put on, ahem, “Red Alert,” when Torsten Frings flew away from the team’s preseason training in Florida to:
A) Attend to personal matters, or
B) Continue rehabilitating an injury that most people didn’t know existed
Either way, nothing should be too surprising considering the sea change now unfolding at BMO Field. New president Kevin Payne is wheeling and dealing. New manager Ryan Nelsen is scouring England for talent – and if we’re honest, it still seems to be in rather short supply for Toronto FC.
There was a reason we led with TFC in rolling out our MLS team previews, last teams first in order of predicted finish.
We may be closer to the truth today, as Duane Rollins from Canadian Soccer News drops this Twitter hammer:
Frings surely is a risk as a highly paid man of a certain age, and one who tends to be injury nicked. On the other hand, whoever finally lands on the roster – and there presumably will be a few players added … right? – will require leadership. Frings never shrank from the work. And he played wherever asked under two different managers.
He would seem to have ample value around Exhibition Place, if only until things become a little more settled in a year’s time.
- WATCH: Premier League TV Schedule – Week 16 1
- Manchester United’s Robin van Persie faces lengthy spell out 0
- Behind the Brazuca: NBC’s extensive research hints less “knuckle-ball” in Brazil, NASA agrees 3
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 3
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 3
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 5
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (16)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Group B: No Walk In The Park