Feb 23, 2013, 10:23 AM EST
It happened earlier than you may have expected, but it was only by a matter of minutes.
In the 24th today at Craven Cottage — a place where Brian McBride and Clint Dempsey saw so much success — former FC Dallas winger Brek Shea came on for Stoke City, replacing Matthew Etherington. When the Potters’ first choice left wing went down with a back injury, the 22-year-old Texan became the 40th American to play in the English Premier League.
It was a mixed day for Shea, with Stoke going on to lose to the Cottagers, 1-0. Twice Shea gave Fulham pause on volleys inside the box. His first earned a penalty when it found Ashkan Dejagah’s arm, though Jonathan Walters’ ensuing attempt was saved by Mark Schwarzer. His second minutes later went just wide of the post. The tries hinted at the threat Shea can provide at the far post when Stoke build play through Walters on the right.
In other faects, Shea looked like a debutant. He gave the ball away too easily, which led to his being one of the lowest passing rates on the team.
But as debuts go, it was a positive one for Shea, especially considering he’s still coming back from a foot injury. Seventy-six minutes may have been more than Tony Pulis was anticipating for his new signing’s debut, but Shea showed he can hold his own.
If Etherington can’t recover for next Saturday’s match with West Ham, Shea will get a chance to see if he can hold his own for 90 minutes.
- Behind the Brazuca: NBC’s extensive research shows less “knuckle-ball” in Brazil, NASA agrees 1
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 3
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 3
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 4
- Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018 3
- MLS announces Bayern Munich as opponent for 2014 All-Star Game in Portland 5
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (16)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)