Feb 23, 2013, 11:39 AM EST
You can prepare all you want for a team like Manchester United, but some things are unstoppable. Sure, Queens Park Rangers may have been able to prevent some of the events that led to this shot, but when Rafael hits this kind of ball from 20 yards out, all you can do is throw your hands up and ask why.
Why do soccer gods who already create teams with United’s resources than endow them with strikes like this?
But it goes hand-in-hand, doesn’t it? If you’re Manchester United, you so many great players that even the player who’s arguably 11th out of 11 starters can beat you.
That’s what QPR was left with in the 23rd minute after a Robin van Persie shot had been blocked clear of the box by Julio Cesar. Rafael accelerates away from his man and hits his shot first time, one of those screaming tries that seem to curve in midair as they approach goal.
Unfortunately for QPR, that curve meant Rafael’s shot dove right into their goal. Courtesy FOX Soccer:
The goal put Manchester United up 1-0 at Loftus Road, a lead they’ve maintained late into the second half of what’s played out as a typical Manchester United game. Up early, the Premier League leaders have been in control. But playing to type, they’ve also been unconvincing.
It’s hard to say who’ll score the next goal, if there’ll even be one. QPR doesn’t look willing to test what’s been a leaky United defense.
For Rafael, it’s the third league goal of what’s turning into a breakthrough campaign for the 22-year-old Brazilian. Coming into this season, he’d never started more the 15 league goals. Today was the 21st start of a season that’s proved his most consistent.
More Premier League fun:
Dec 20, 2013, 7:55 PM EST
Tim Sherwood has not only expressed his interest in the vacant Spurs managerial position, he insisted he’s the only man for the job.
Dec 20, 2013, 7:15 PM EST
Out of Premier League action since the beginning of November, Joe Hart could get a lifeline against lowly Fulham.
Dec 20, 2013, 6:05 PM EST
Euro 2016 will definitely feature 24 teams – up from 16 – and now we know how they’ll get there.
Dec 20, 2013, 5:13 PM EST
19-year-old M’Baye Niang is a wanted man, just not at the San Siro.
Dec 20, 2013, 4:25 PM EST
With names tossed around left and right, the Swansea manager has taken himself out of the running for Tottenham’s next manager.
Dec 20, 2013, 3:48 PM EST
It nearly came to pass that Fernando Torres attempted a professional career as a shot-stopper, not a goal-scorer.
Dec 20, 2013, 2:26 PM EST
Landon leads the way as U.S. Soccer Federation honors greatest XI of all-time:
Dec 20, 2013, 1:00 PM EST
Can City keep the pressure up on those above them by beating struggling Fulham?
Dec 20, 2013, 12:24 PM EST
With a new deal inked and his future secured, now Suarez wants to bring UCL success back to Anfield:
Dec 20, 2013, 11:22 AM EST
All the details on where to watch every single PL game live this weekend:
Dec 20, 2013, 10:50 AM EST
New deal extends apparel deal which began in ’95… Will the USA now get creative with jersey design?
Dec 20, 2013, 10:00 AM EST
In the latest PST Extra, JPW and Prindi chat about Sherwood’s potential, a massive London derby and Guzan vs. Cameron:
Dec 20, 2013, 8:56 AM EST
Star striker signs lengthy new deal to hand Liverpool huge boost:
Dec 20, 2013, 8:32 AM EST
Get ready, “Fulhamerica” is about to be back on the map as Dempsey finalizes loan switch:
Dec 20, 2013, 8:10 AM EST
Cardiff boss expected to be fired, as owner Vincent Tan shocks English soccer with appalling behavior:
Dec 20, 2013, 7:25 AM EST
Top teams across Europe scrambling to get AVB on board:
Dec 19, 2013, 11:05 PM EST
They couldn’t wait until January. Swansea’s goalkeeper had to go under the knife as soon as possible.
Dec 19, 2013, 10:01 PM EST
Simple, cheap, and already in wide use. Giving the okay to vanishing spray was an obvious choice.
Dec 19, 2013, 8:54 PM EST
SI.com tabs the NBC studio host as this year’s best newcomer.
Dec 19, 2013, 7:33 PM EST
Six serious injuries but no casualties resulted tonight’s near-miss in Bekal.
- Could Joe Hart return to Premier League action this weekend against Fulham? 0
- U.S. Soccer names All-Time Best XI, do you agree? 6
- Luis Suarez signs new long-term deal at Liverpool 3
- Clint Dempsey undergoes medical at Fulham ahead of loan move from Seattle Sounders 3
- Hamm, Wambach, Morgan lead U.S. Soccer’s all-time women’s best XI (but no Solo, Milbrett) 11
- Manchester derby in cards for League Cup final 1
- Report: Clint Dempsey will join Fulham on Jan. 1 for two-month loan (12)
- Is Google a player in the game of sports media rights? (12)
- Hamm, Wambach, Morgan lead U.S. Soccer’s all-time women’s best XI (but no Solo, Milbrett) (11)
- Spurs in hunt for new boss after sacking Andre Villas-Boas (10)
- Mexico’s Monterrey dumped out of FIFA Club World Cup (7)
- Bank of Brazil to Release Special World Cup Coins
- Nightmare for Socceroos in Real Group of Death
- Hodgson's Manaus Plan is Flawed
- Wilmer Cabrera on WC Draw: ''It's an Even Group''
- Germany Building Training Facility in Brazil
- Spain Thinking of US Camp Before World Cup
- Don't count out Chile in WC Group B
- Kicking it Off with a Final
- VIDEO: Visa World Cup Promo
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy