Feb 24, 2013, 9:25 AM EST
I keep seeing Marcus Hahnemann making saves that are not merely quality stuff, but stops that are nudging into the “game-changing” category.
I saw it two weeks ago when Seattle began the Desert Diamond Cup in a contest against New England. And I saw it again Saturday night in the tournament final, as Hahnemann did his part in the Sounders’ 1-0 win to claim the tourney final in Tucson.
Seattle’s goalkeeper brilliantly turned away Alvaro Saborio’s header within the game’s first 20 minutes and later manufactured a swell double save, just before the break. He was quick off his line on a couple of occasions, too. (A couple of rebounds left in bad places do, on the other hand, need a little tidying up.)
At age 40 there seems to be little question that Hahnemann, who made two U.S. World Cup rosters as the country’s third ‘keeper, can do the job in MLS. You have to say, with Michael Gspurning as the starter (and among the league’s standard bearers in the nets, according to our PST goalkeeper rankings), Seattle has one of the best overall situations in goal in MLS. Very possibly the best.
To know how important a little goalkeeping “insurance” can be – having a strong backup, that is – look only to Seattle’s 2012 campaign.
Gspurning missed 14 league starts last year, and his team struggled without him. With the Austrian vet between the pipes the Sounders were a healthy 12-4-5 and well under a goal a game scoring allowed. Without him, just 3-4-6 and well over a goal a game.
That’s a mighty difference.
Here are the highlights from Seattle’s 1-0 win Saturday in the desert, a contest shown live on NBC Sports Network:
.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- MLS Cup 2000 flashback: Molnar, Meola the heroes for Kansas City – video 0
- Premier League Roundup: Moyes defeated in Everton reunion; top five snag wins 0
- David Moyes bemoans bad luck as former side Everton come back to haunt him 1
- West Bromwich Albion 2-3 Manchester City: Citizens address road worries with convincing performance at The Hawthorns 0
- Sunderland 3-4 Chelsea: Blues grab crucial away win as Hazard dazzles 0
- Arsenal 2-0 Hull City: Bendtner and Ozil keep Gunners top 0
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw 17
- How well did Major League Soccer’s format work in 2013? Few qualms with this year’s results 8
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- USA drop one spot to 14th in latest FIFA World Rankings, Portugal surge to fifth (19)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (17)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (17)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (14)