Feb 25, 2013, 8:25 AM EDT
Houston Dynamo manager Dominic Kinnear has been on the job for almost a decade. Not only is that easily the longest tenure for any MLS manager – Kinnear is now in his 10th season at the club’s coaching helm – he’s among the most enduring head coaches in U.S. professional team sports.
Jason Kreis, about to begin his seventh season at Real Salt Lake (his sixth full season) is next closest in MLS. Kreis retired as a player to take the coaching seat in May of 2007.
But look at the research done by Matt Pedersen in Houston. At the Houston Dynamo team blog, he’s got the goods on where Kinnear ranks among all coaches in MLS, the NBA, the NHL, MLB and the NFL.
Only six men have lasted longer in their current head coaching position.
The San Antonio Spurs highly respected head coach Greg Popovich, in place since 1996, has ‘em all beat. From there …well, Pedersen did the work, so you should probably check out the link above.
(FYI, Houston’s team preview will be up shortly this morning, the next in our ongoing series of team outlooks.)
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 3 0
- Premier League Preview: Burnley vs. Manchester United 0
- MLS Weekend Preview: Derbies close weekend kicking off off at Sporting Park 1
- Premier League Power Rankings: Familiar faces jostle for the top spot – Week 1 2
- U.S. roster for Czech Republic: Quick look at some of the newer names 5
- Plenty of surprises in US national team roster for Czech Republic friendly 4