Feb 25, 2013, 7:30 AM EDT
PORTLAND, Ore. — FC Dallas got lucky in Jan. 2012. That’s when when Matt Hedges, the best defender in that year’s draft, fell to them with the 11th pick. Hedges wasn’t supposed to last that long, but when he did, FCD had a potential solution at center back. With George John investigating options overseas, Dallas needed somebody who could step in next to Ugo Ihemelu.
Fast-forward 13 months and Hedges and John form one of the more intriguing center defense pairings in Major League Soccer, a tandem that leaves Schellas Hyndman with few doubts in defense. John’s authoritative presence combined with Hedges’ skill and athleticism allow Dallas’s head coach to focus on his skill-evolving attack.
The duo has the potential to be one of the league’s best central pairings, but that kind of status will depend on how Hedges progresses in his second professional season. ProSoccerTalk caught up to the former Tar Heel as his team was completing their part in Portland’s preseason tournament:
Can you talk a little about you and [George John], how you see your guys’ relationship as far as who plays which role and what you’re trying to do when you’re playing along side him?
I think we’re both taking a pretty active role. Communication is key. I’m trying to improve mine, and he’s fantastic at that, so I think he is more of the communicator of the two.
I’m trying to help him out. We’re kind of similar players. I think it’s going to work out really well for us.
I like to knock [the ball] around a little bit more, so him being big and strong, he can get up and win it. If we can keep possession through me, then I’m perfectly fine with that. And I’ll get into it sometimes, too.
On the perception of John as the “hammer” while he serves as more of the “all-arounder”: “Yeah, I’m alright with that.”
Last year you had Kevin (Hartman) behind you … This year, he’s gone, you have two relatively inexperienced guys behind you (Chris Seitz and Raul Fernández). What difference does that make for you? What difference do you see that making for the team?
Note: Fernández, a Peruvian international, has spent most of his career in his domestic league.
I definitely learned a lot from Kevin, and it was really helpful having him behind me. At the same time, Chris and Raul are both fantastical goalkeepers.
We’ll be alright, I think. They both communicate well. Raul’s English is getting better everyday. Seitz – you know what he’s going to bring. I’m not really worried about it at all.
What kind of goals do you set personally after a pretty successful rookie year?
Yeah, (it was) definitely had a very successful rookie year, but I’m just looking to get better every day, every game – improve. Make less mistakes, improve with the ball distributing, winning aerial challenges, being smarter. Just improving every facet of my game, every day.
It’s an obvious answer from any young player — just get better — but how Hedges improves will be the most intriguing part of Dallas’s center back duo. Still only 22, Hedges has the potential to develop into a rare MLS center back who can be a plus player distributing the ball.
With John to his right, the second-year pro should have the freedom to develop that part of his game, something that will help Dallas get the most out of their attacking talents.
Jun 18, 2013, 8:33 PM EDT
The LA Galaxy coach has taken aging players and made them useful parts of the roster before:
Jun 18, 2013, 7:14 PM EDT
Everyone loves “The Pope”
Jun 18, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
Our weekly re-ordering of Major League Soccer teams, following 16 rounds of play:
Jun 18, 2013, 2:05 PM EDT
Some of the best U.S. success in the past has come when the United States was backed into a corner. Tonight looks much different:
Jun 18, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
There are a few choices to be made ahead of Tuesday’s match in Utah:
Jun 18, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Unsaid in this narrative is this: most U.S. sites are bright and alive these days.
Jun 18, 2013, 11:06 AM EDT
Stuart Pearce has been relieved of his duties as manager of England’s U-21 squad.
Jun 18, 2013, 9:34 AM EDT
Australia join Brazil and Japan as nations that already have booked their place in next summer’s World Cup.
Jun 18, 2013, 7:56 AM EDT
Hearts have put the entire squad up for sale to raise the reported £500,000 needed to get the club to the start of the season.
Jun 18, 2013, 12:10 AM EDT
Brazil has infrastructure concerns. They’ve also spent $3.3 billion on soccer stadia. No surprise, people aren’t happy.
Jun 17, 2013, 10:43 PM EDT
The mythology of Ajax, Dutch soccer and one stars’ struggles outside the Dutch league make this potential transfer difficult to evaluate.
Jun 17, 2013, 8:23 PM EDT
It’s only a matter of time before Ancelotti’s holding pattern’s resolved.
Jun 17, 2013, 7:39 PM EDT
It’s early days, but while City close the gap, Manchester United have yet to act.
Jun 17, 2013, 6:51 PM EDT
With a buy-out in his contract, Villas-Boas likely will be given a choice between Paris and London.
Jun 17, 2013, 5:59 PM EDT
Steve Bruce reunites with a player he brought to Wigan Athletic.
Jun 17, 2013, 5:19 PM EDT
Tahiti are a great story, but nobody wins when small countries get slaughtered by the world’s top teams.
- Can the United States deal with success vs. Honduras? 1
- Lineup prediction for U.S.-Honduras qualifier 2
- Big opportunity ahead as United States faces Honduras in World Cup qualifying action 1
- Huge cost of World Cups: Did we need a protest like Brazil’s to point out the obvious? 9
- Early returns from England’s offseason tell a tale of two Manchesters 0
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- LIVE: Spurs-Heat, Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public