Monday “Meh” list: MLS preseason version

Feb 25, 2013, 3:32 PM EDT

Chris Wondolowski;  Marvin Chavez;  Steven Lenhart; Victor Bernardez

Our quick-hit list returns! People, places and things we noticed during Major League Soccer’s preseason that land on the over-done or overly praised side. Not necessarily awful but, you know, just “meh.”

• Making a huge to-do over homegrown player signings
  • Preseason power rankings for clubs (Patience, please!)
  • 2010 as a reference point (uh, guilty … that year is now past it’s sell-by date)
  • Sherjill MacDonald
  • Wondering if 2012 was a fluke for San Jose (didn’t we do enough of that last year?)
  • Paulo Nagamura as “replacement” at SKC for Roger Espinoza
  • Thick crusted pizza
  • Early days of Toronto FC’s (newest) makeover
  • Preseason foreign trips for MLS clubs (that’s so 2004)
  • Rookie praise
  • Having a “bye” on opening weekend (More “Yuk!” than “Meh”)
  • Coaches who claim “real competition for spots” in spots where we know better
  1. mkbryant3 - Feb 25, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Hope this doesn’t make it to MLS this season. So much meh in Euro goal celebrations where the scorer feigns sucking his thumb. I see it so often, I’m wondering if it really means they’ve had a new birth in the family. At least that’s what I thought it used to mean. Guess strikers score a lot in other ways.

Good luck with the start of the season, SD and crew. I’m sure you’ve got a loaded rifle of stories rearin and ready.

Next time in SF, be sure to check out Ragazza for some thin crust deliciousness.

2. pensfan603 - Feb 25, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Having a bye opening week.
    Dance Dance Revolution
    Ill be honest I like having the bye this week.

3. pensfan603 - Feb 25, 2013 at 4:31 PM

well in 1600s sucking your thumb was an insult so..

4. charliej11 - Feb 25, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Most of the time I agree with you. Just a bunch of guys thinking the US is developing in mass away from the college system.

Yedlin for the Sounders is the real deal. 19 years old and looks like he can start right now. Many think he should start.

• Steve Davis - Feb 26, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Awesome! I hope he’s everything you (and others) say. My take is always the same: “Tap me on the shoulder when they are starting and making a regular difference in league matches.” Until then, I just cannot get on board with the big splashy headlines clubs want guys like me to make over their latest home-grown signing. (Although I do see what these mean in the bigger picture.)

5. tylerbetts - Feb 25, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Steve, Denver hosting a World Cup Qualifier is the perfect opportunity to show you that thick crust pizza is not “meh” when done right and in a unique way. Get a Colorado-style pie at Beau Jo’s while you’re here. You’ll thank me.

Week 8: Saturday PL recap