Feb 26, 2013, 10:18 AM EST
The LA Galaxy reminded us last year that while so many elements of Major League Soccer have matured through the years, this much has remained a constant:
In MLS, you only have to be right near the end; you can seriously stink up the joint in the early weeks but reliably get away with it.
It is a bit harder to pull off these days as more clubs gain further stability in organizational footing. Translation: more organizations have their doggone acts together, and that means stronger links through the 19-team MLS chain. Still, it can be done.
That’s good news in 2013 for the Galaxy, who overcame a horrendous start last year, rallying to make the playoffs and then successfully defending their MLS Cup crown. They were “right” in the end.
Looks like Bruce Arena’s team may need more of the same for the 18th MLS campaign. Landon Donovan’s absence over the first few regular season weeks has been well chronicled.
And we know the Galaxy hunt for a third Designated Player (to replace new Parisian David Beckham) goes on, almost certain not to arrive at resolution until the summer.
Now comes word that Mike Magee, the very picture of the modest-salaried, highly dependable work-a-day the Galaxy must have in order to balance a DP-heavy roster, may miss the club’s 2013 opener this weekend.
Galaxy manager Bruce Arena is being typically coy about Magee’s injury, and Magee (pictured, center) is not being made available to media this week.
The Galaxy opens Sunday against Chicago (5 p.m. ET on Univision). The entire opening week schedule is here.
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 3
- Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018 3
- MLS announces Bayern Munich as opponent for 2014 All-Star Game in Portland 4
- WATCH: Can Tottenham stop Luis Suarez and can City beat Arsenal? 0
- UK Twitter chat in 2013 dominated by soccer. Good thing or bad thing? 2
- UEFA rules set up Arsenal, Manchester City for tough Champions League Round of 16 draws 3
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (14)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint