Feb 26, 2013, 10:18 AM EDT
The LA Galaxy reminded us last year that while so many elements of Major League Soccer have matured through the years, this much has remained a constant:
In MLS, you only have to be right near the end; you can seriously stink up the joint in the early weeks but reliably get away with it.
It is a bit harder to pull off these days as more clubs gain further stability in organizational footing. Translation: more organizations have their doggone acts together, and that means stronger links through the 19-team MLS chain. Still, it can be done.
That’s good news in 2013 for the Galaxy, who overcame a horrendous start last year, rallying to make the playoffs and then successfully defending their MLS Cup crown. They were “right” in the end.
Looks like Bruce Arena’s team may need more of the same for the 18th MLS campaign. Landon Donovan’s absence over the first few regular season weeks has been well chronicled.
And we know the Galaxy hunt for a third Designated Player (to replace new Parisian David Beckham) goes on, almost certain not to arrive at resolution until the summer.
Now comes word that Mike Magee, the very picture of the modest-salaried, highly dependable work-a-day the Galaxy must have in order to balance a DP-heavy roster, may miss the club’s 2013 opener this weekend.
Galaxy manager Bruce Arena is being typically coy about Magee’s injury, and Magee (pictured, center) is not being made available to media this week.
The Galaxy opens Sunday against Chicago (5 p.m. ET on Univision). The entire opening week schedule is here.
- Chile 2-1 Peru: Vargas’ wondergoal puts the hosts through to Copa America final (video) 0
- Men in Blazers podcast special: USWNT’s Klingenberg talks defense, Germany, karate 1
- It’s official: Petr Cech has swapped London clubs, Chelsea to Arsenal 4
- Spanish football league becomes first to take legal action over Qatar World Cup dates 3
- England’s case of World Cup fever just what the doctor ordered for women’s soccer in Britain 3
- Agent confirms Carlos Bacca has reached agreement with AC Milan 0