Feb 26, 2013, 9:01 AM EST
News that two-time MLS Golden Boot winner Chris Wondolowski has a new contract worth about $600,000 takes one pressure point away from the San Jose Earthquakes, where a litany of injuries has dented the preseason for last year’s Supporters Shield winner.
SI.com’s Grant Wahl had the story Monday night, reporting that the contract is for four years, including three guaranteed.
The Earthquakes had previously had been slow to dive into Major League Soccer’s Designated Player game. Teams are allowed three; the Earthquakes had none on roster before Monday’s announcement. Wondolowski was the team’s highest paid player at a salary of about $300,000, which is below the DP threshold.
(Commanding center back Victor Bernardez, by the way, was surely the bargain of Major League Soccer in 2012, an MLS Best XI defender who made just $100,000 during his first MLS season. The league’s 2012 salaries, listed by club, are here.)
Reports last fall that Wondolowski would demand a salary close to $1 million a year during winter negotiations proved measurably off base. Not that he probably is not worth it.
Last year Wondolowski tied the MLS single season record for goals, hitting 27 times while equaling a record set in 1996 (by Roy Lassiter) during a very different time in Major League Soccer.
No one has come close to matching Wondolowski’s production over the last three years; he has 61 goals in that time.
Dec 10, 2013, 7:40 AM EST
It’s believed Eto’o will move to Los Angeles Galaxy, DC United and Club Deportivo Chivas USA, Seattle Sounders or Chicago Fire.
Dec 10, 2013, 4:53 AM EST
Groups A through D finish on Tuesday, with the tournament’s holders and England’s champions hoping to clinch top spots.
Dec 9, 2013, 11:34 PM EST
Whoever is next up in the Whitecaps’ managerial seat would surely love to have a 22-goal scorer to build around:
Dec 9, 2013, 10:50 PM EST
Still a highly regarded goalkeeper, Nielsen calls it quits just 48 hours after winning MLS Cup 2013:
Dec 9, 2013, 10:10 PM EST
Might the wandering Goats actually do something right?
Dec 9, 2013, 9:22 PM EST
Once again, Major League Soccer will become the globe’s first league to employ the new World Cup match ball:
Dec 9, 2013, 8:55 PM EST
Chicago’s Chris Rolfe, Houston’s Bobby Boswell, Seattle’s Steve Zakuani among the intriguing options:
Dec 9, 2013, 8:18 PM EST
Don’t miss the last save from the package, an absolute show-stopper from Aston Villa’s U.S. international Brad Guzan:
Dec 9, 2013, 8:01 PM EST
An alternative look at all the action from Week 15 of the PL:
Dec 9, 2013, 7:53 PM EST
Who says the MLS off-season is too short?
Dec 9, 2013, 7:30 PM EST
Round 15’s Team of the Week includes a throwback man in John Arne Riise:
Dec 9, 2013, 6:52 PM EST
FC Dallas had a busy day … but, uh, who is going to coach the team?
Dec 9, 2013, 6:32 PM EST
Martin Rogers of Yahoo! Sports talks about Arsenal, Manchester United and more:
Dec 9, 2013, 5:48 PM EST
One versus England potentially being arranged in Miami? And another against Canada ahead of next year’s World Cup?
Dec 9, 2013, 4:59 PM EST
Hull pick up a valuable road point as Swansea’s season of missed opportunities at home continues:
Dec 9, 2013, 3:59 PM EST
Major League Soccer has been steadfast on this one all along:
Dec 9, 2013, 2:48 PM EST
Can the Swans surge back into the top 10? Watch live on NBCSN:
Dec 9, 2013, 2:29 PM EST
We caught up with ‘beardless’ Howard after his impressive outing vs. Arsenal. Here’s what he had to say:
Dec 9, 2013, 1:27 PM EST
With a shortlist of over 50 names to choose from, what is your current best starting XI in world soccer?
Dec 9, 2013, 12:59 PM EST
With Michu in-line to return, could the Swans blow the Tigers away?
- Chelsea’s Samuel Eto’o set for move to Major League Soccer 0
- UEFA Champions League Preview: Manchester United, Bayern Munich look to finish group stage on top 0
- Some very interesting names now available through Major League Soccer’s re-entry process 0
- Premier League Playback: Everton in the mix, miserable Mourinho, basement boys battling 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (20)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014