Feb 26, 2013, 4:05 PM EDT
This is a terribly disturbing report of shameful stuff, and not just for the obvious reasons.
While most of Germany long ago confronted its dark history in meaningful, progressive ways, this city in the heart of Germany’s industrial Ruhr (and a place with steadfast devotion to its soccer and its Bundesliga side) have had a tougher time moving on. From today’s AP piece:
Dortmund, in the heartland of the industrial Ruhr area, is a magnet for immigrants from all over the world. It also serves as a focal point for neo-Nazis in the state of North Rhine-Westphalia. In no other German state are more right-wing offenses recorded.
So, yes, it’s terrible on its face.
But it’s also so horribly unfortunate because there are so many great things going on with the club, the two-time defending Bundesliga champs.
Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp is so highly thought of these days, blessed with so much remarkable talent (and displayed in a high-paced, dynamic way that makes Dortmund so thrilling to watch.)
Dortmund remains alive in the Champions League chase, and few of the UEFA survivors would relish being drawn against Klopp’s talented assembly.
I have been fortunate to see games at the Westfalenstadion, and even for someone blessed to see matches in as many places as I have, it was truly an amazing experience. This place, in so many ways, defines passionate soccer support.
So it’s a real pitty to see anything siphon off attention from the array of positive elements around Dortmund – especially something this sorry.
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land 7
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? 18
- Champions League Final infographic: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich 0
- NWSL Game of the Week: Sky Blue FC vs. FC Kansas City 0
- Yahoo! reports: Mourinho to sign 4-year deal with Chelsea, will be unveiled June 2 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (19)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights