Feb 26, 2013, 1:26 PM EDT
If the Seattle Sounders can find a way to add Obafemi Martins, they will have really pulled off something here.
I spoke to Sigi Schmid about 10 days ago. He explained all the reasons the club’s salary cap situation looked so much different than the past couple of years. The bottom line was that Seattle was right up against the salary cap, with pretty much zero wiggle room.
The Levante striker (pictured, on the left) is unhappy with his Spanish club, which is surely one reason Sounders officials had traveled to Spain to be so aggressive about this move.
On the back side, this surely means a conclusion to Christian Tiffert’s days at CenturyLink Field. So the Sounders would add considerably to their striking power along the front line – Martins plus Eddie Johnson looks pretty sweet – while reducing the depth in midfield (which looked like the best in MLS and remains quite strong despite the reduction).
While the international transfer window in most countries closed on Jan. 30, the window remains open in MLS through April.
- Two last points on the Robbie Rogers trade news 0
- Champions League final preview: A bitter rivalry with much higher stakes 0
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land 11
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? 25
- Champions League Final infographic: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich 1
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (25)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- USA Today reports LA Galaxy trade Mike Magee for rights to Robbie Rogers (12)
- Follow LIVE: Champions League final
- Live box score: UEFA Champions League final
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona