Feb 26, 2013, 1:26 PM EST
If the Seattle Sounders can find a way to add Obafemi Martins, they will have really pulled off something here.
I spoke to Sigi Schmid about 10 days ago. He explained all the reasons the club’s salary cap situation looked so much different than the past couple of years. The bottom line was that Seattle was right up against the salary cap, with pretty much zero wiggle room.
The Levante striker (pictured, on the left) is unhappy with his Spanish club, which is surely one reason Sounders officials had traveled to Spain to be so aggressive about this move.
On the back side, this surely means a conclusion to Christian Tiffert’s days at CenturyLink Field. So the Sounders would add considerably to their striking power along the front line – Martins plus Eddie Johnson looks pretty sweet – while reducing the depth in midfield (which looked like the best in MLS and remains quite strong despite the reduction).
While the international transfer window in most countries closed on Jan. 30, the window remains open in MLS through April.
- UEFA Champions League Preview: Manchester United, Bayern Munich look to finish group stage on top 0
- Some very interesting names now available through Major League Soccer’s re-entry process 0
- Premier League Playback: Everton in the mix, miserable Mourinho, basement boys battling 0
- United States national team 2014 friendlies coming into view 4
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (20)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014