Feb 26, 2013, 8:33 PM EDT
Final verdict for U.S. under-20 men’s national team in its drive for redemption, after the notorious qualification failure for the FIFA U-20 World Cup last time out: not the best performance in the world, and not exactly pretty, but job done.
Tab Ramos’ young bunch of Yanks downed Canada tonight in Mexico, 4-2, qualifying for this summer’s FIFA Under-20 World Cup in Turkey.
The CONCACAF qualifying tournament goes on, but this was the money match; all four quarterfinal winners move on Turkey.
While the run has been less-than-perfect, Ramos’ side has managed to improve each time out, which is certainly something to take away from the team’s trip into Mexico. Further credit, too, for not getting undone by Canada’s 23rd-minute goal Tuesday.
U.S. attacker Luis Gil was strong once again, recording the equalizer six minutes after Canada’s first-half strike. We told you about him earlier today on the blog, about this being a big year for the young man at Real Salt Lake.
The LA Galaxy’s Jose Villarreal had two goals for the United States.
- Official: Neymar to join Barcelona 0
- Bayern Munich – Borussia Dortmund: The tactics and the game’s shifting momentum 0
- Bayern Munich 2-1 Borussia Dortmund: Robben the hero, Bayern crowned Champions League winners 4
- Two last points on the Robbie Rogers trade news 1
- Champions League final preview: A bitter rivalry with much higher stakes 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (25)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- USA Today reports LA Galaxy trade Mike Magee for rights to Robbie Rogers (14)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect