Feb 26, 2013, 8:33 PM EDT
Final verdict for U.S. under-20 men’s national team in its drive for redemption, after the notorious qualification failure for the FIFA U-20 World Cup last time out: not the best performance in the world, and not exactly pretty, but job done.
Tab Ramos’ young bunch of Yanks downed Canada tonight in Mexico, 4-2, qualifying for this summer’s FIFA Under-20 World Cup in Turkey.
The CONCACAF qualifying tournament goes on, but this was the money match; all four quarterfinal winners move on Turkey.
While the run has been less-than-perfect, Ramos’ side has managed to improve each time out, which is certainly something to take away from the team’s trip into Mexico. Further credit, too, for not getting undone by Canada’s 23rd-minute goal Tuesday.
U.S. attacker Luis Gil was strong once again, recording the equalizer six minutes after Canada’s first-half strike. We told you about him earlier today on the blog, about this being a big year for the young man at Real Salt Lake.
The LA Galaxy’s Jose Villarreal had two goals for the United States.
Mar 12, 2014, 11:40 AM EDT
Gregarious ex-player mourned across US soccer after passing away from cancer early Wednesday.
Russian politicians want US kicked out of World Cup because US politicians want Russia kicked out of World Cup
Mar 12, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
I’m sure Blatter is going to spend loads of time with the letters sent to him by US and Russian lawmakers.
Mar 12, 2014, 10:04 AM EDT
It’s hard to imagine another player at United seizing the captaincy, but how about England?
Mar 12, 2014, 9:13 AM EDT
“The biggest way you can tell that right off the bat is training,” Parkhurst said.
Wambach scores twice as US women end disappointing Algarve Cup with win over North Korea, 7th place finish
Mar 12, 2014, 8:53 AM EDT
With the victory, the U.S. avoided going winless in four consecutive games for the first time since 2001.
Mar 12, 2014, 8:31 AM EDT
PST’s own Joe Prince-Wright is slated for an exclusive interview with Krueger later this morning, so keep it tuned here.
Mar 12, 2014, 8:04 AM EDT
“If you lose, don’t start complaining about silly things,” Robben said.
Mar 12, 2014, 7:28 AM EDT
Champions League injury forced German midfielder off at halftime, will have Ozil out of lineup.
Preview: Barcelona, Manchester City stumble into Champions League second leg; PSG set to rest Ibrahimovic
Mar 12, 2014, 6:09 AM EDT
Barcelona carry a two-goal lead into Wednesday’s visit from City, while PSG’s four-goal edge has Laurent Blanc set to rest his stars.
Mar 12, 2014, 12:23 AM EDT
A 95th minute goal from Alan Gordon gives San Jose momentum ahead of next week’s second leg.
Mar 11, 2014, 11:54 PM EDT
Last year’s MLS Cup qualifiers start the season 1-2 in our rankings.
Mar 11, 2014, 9:43 PM EDT
Gunners prospect could soon be locked into an international career with Germany.
Mar 11, 2014, 8:56 PM EDT
Champions League was Milan’s last battle. Now, two months of auditions for next year’s team begin, with Seedorf decide who will return for the Rossoneri’s restart.
Mar 11, 2014, 8:06 PM EDT
Over the course of two legs, Arsenal was outshot 41-15 and had only 27 percent of the ball.
Mar 11, 2014, 7:02 PM EDT
Legacy didn’t matter, Costa is ready for your love, and Atlético improved but imperfect.
Mar 11, 2014, 6:34 PM EDT
Another sickening blow for Holden, who suffers knee ligament damage after latest comeback game goes horribly wrong:
Mar 11, 2014, 6:17 PM EDT
With the Gunners falling at the first UCL knockout hurdle once again, what did we learn this time?
Battling Arsenal bow out, as Bayern Munich reach UEFA Champions League quarters after 1-1 draw (3-1, agg.)
Mar 11, 2014, 5:42 PM EDT
Defending champions Bayern down Gunners to reach quarterfinals of Champions League:
Mar 11, 2014, 5:38 PM EDT
With seven goals in five Champions League games, Costa has led Atlético into the quarterfinals.
Mar 11, 2014, 4:44 PM EDT
Three Vancouver Whitecaps, three Columbus Crew take their place in the first week’s Best XI.
- American soccer mourns the death of former MLS player Shawn Kuykendall, 32 0
- Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney muses on captaincies, laments Liverpool’s strong season 0
- Southampton name former Edmonton Oilers coach its new chairman 0
- Robben and Wenger have war of words in latest Champions League diving debate 0
- Arsenal’s Ozil out for “at least a few weeks” after injury in Champions League 0
- Preview: Barcelona, Manchester City stumble into Champions League second leg; PSG set to rest Ibrahimovic 0
- CR7 is a Superstar Both on and Off the Pitch
- Pareja Could Have Decision Looming at D-Mid
- Quakes Hit 94th Minute Goal to Tie Toluca in CONCACAF CL
- For the Red Bulls, Mistakes are Better Early Than Late
- If Man City Ever Stood a Chance, it’s Right Now
- Strootman Loss Detrimental to Roma
- Rooney Reveals Desire to Captain United and England
- Thistle Manager Sent Off While Playing For His Team's Under-20s
- Is CONCACAF Champions League Format Working Against MLS?
- Disappointing Opener for the Chicago Fire