Feb 26, 2013, 7:06 PM EDT
Hints from ProSoccerTalk late Sunday of a logo change for Major League Soccer had so many domestic supporters in an enthusiastic tizzy.
Who knew so many people were this into branding? Seems that everyone does love them some logo talk. Even NBC pal Arlo White messaged me about it, in a distinctly British-accented tizzy, I assume.
I ran some traps at Major League Soccer and was told any logo change chatter was better characterized as “preliminary,” and quite so. Marketing movement is rampant at the league’s New York HQ, and in a wide variety of areas. This very week, for instance, is Jersey Week in MLS, where a full baker’s dozen of clubs are unveiling new kits.
Talk of logos and spinning the branding wheel fell under a larger umbrella, more macro than micro, apparently. (Which does not mean it won’t happen … just not in the immediate future.)
Said MLS executive VP of communications Dan Courtemanche in a short, prepared statement: “We regularly review all aspects of our business operations, including marketing. While the possibility of a new or refined MLS logo has been discussed, no final decisions have been made.”
Judging by the traffic that careened in great numbers to our piece Sunday, perhaps MLS needs to give the notion a strong “think;” plenty of MLS supporters seemed to check the box beside “Fine idea!”
We also told you last week that Chivas USA may be in a little hot water. The wee naughty deed here, surely more about MLS unfamiliarity than any skullduggery or message sending, had the club’s new manager talking up his desire to one day snag Gabriel and Michael Farfan from Philadelphia.
League director of communications Will Kuhns told me the ignition for any league action would come from a club, not the league itself. In this case the Philadelphia Union would need to file an official complaint; that hasn’t happened as yet.
Kuhns also winced at the characterization of Jose Luis Sanchez Sola’s words as tampering, wondering if his misdemeanor offense (my words, not Kuhns’) rose to the level of the league’s definition?
Which is (from the official league rules) …
Tampering means any attempt, whether direct or indirect, to hire, negotiate with, make an offer to or influence a Player on another team (or his representative) or an employee or another Team Operator without first receiving written consent from that Team Operator.”
Maybe we’ll go with “Tampering-lite” and let it go with a warning.
May 21, 2013, 4:50 PM EDT
This and that as the U.S. contingent preps to gather in Cleveland ahead of five matches over the next few weeks:
May 21, 2013, 4:10 PM EDT
The updated ordering in ProSoccerTalk’s ranking of Major League Soccer teams following 12 rounds of play:
Officials from MLS, Yankees, Manchester City and NYC mayor Michael Bloomberg to speak tomorrow on expansion news
May 21, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
How very convenient that Manchester City just happens to be in the States for a brief two-game tour.
May 21, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
It’s really about two things, and not much else:
May 21, 2013, 2:05 PM EDT
By forming NYC FC, City and the Yankees have created a ‘sister-club’ relationship – an innovative bond between a Premiership and MLS club.
May 21, 2013, 1:23 PM EDT
Early thoughts on the facility and the ripples of today’s big announcement on the 20th MLS franchise:
May 21, 2013, 11:45 AM EDT
By swapping Dzeko for Cavani, City can hamstring Manchester United and Chelsea, as both are rumored to be seeking a world-class striker.
It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team.
May 21, 2013, 11:16 AM EDT
The league’s 20th franchise will begin play in 2015:
May 21, 2013, 9:33 AM EDT
During his Premiership tenure Toure has proven himself a leader, captaining both the Gunners and the Citizens, as well as Cote d’Ivoire.
May 21, 2013, 8:37 AM EDT
Has Daniel Levy already forgotten about what happened when he tried to pin Luka Modric down with this ‘no sale’ line of bull?
May 20, 2013, 11:58 PM EDT
Expect this one to get worked out.
May 20, 2013, 11:23 PM EDT
If Real Madrid’s going to shake things up, Higuaín could do worse than land at The Emirates.
May 20, 2013, 9:45 PM EDT
Four players were on the original list. None of them may end up at Stamford Bridge.
May 20, 2013, 8:13 PM EDT
Our sympathy continues to grow for a man in a bad spot.
May 20, 2013, 7:21 PM EDT
MLS will not have arrived until it has a high-profile feces incident.
May 20, 2013, 6:40 PM EDT
It probably won’t happen this summer, and if it does … I’m sure we’ll run that into the ground, too.
May 20, 2013, 5:45 PM EDT
For a moment, it looked like Milan had fired their coaching staff … via an open letter from a television show.
May 20, 2013, 4:55 PM EDT
Real Madrid would have been in line for an eight-digit payday had they sold Mourinho to Chelsea.
May 20, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
Odds on current U.S. Men’s National Team boss Jurgen Klinsmann to become Everton’s next permanent manager have dropped heavily today.
May 20, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
Wherein we justify the selection of a center back, which always seems to be a requirement in these things:
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market 8
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. 28
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? 4
- Looking back at Week 6 of the NWSL season 2
- Movement in the LA Galaxy-Omar Gonzalez situation 6
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (28)
- Portland ball kid correct to deny Mario de Luna (12)
- More on Landon Donovan and the U.S. national team roster (11)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (11)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- Play Video: Premier League drama set to thrill
- Play Video: Premier League: Real English drama
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team