Feb 27, 2013, 8:30 PM EST
David Beckham made his first start fo Paris Saint-Germain on Wednesday, but as is usually the case when PSG plays, the day belongs to Zlatan Ibrahimovic. With both goals against Marseille, ‘Ibra’ led the Parisians to victory in the latest Classique, seeing rival Olympique Marseille out of the French Cup.
Ibrahimovic is now up to 26 goals in his 32 all-competition matches since moving to PSG this summer. He’s also added nine assists, with the Parisians still alive in all four of their competitions.
But as much as Ibra stole the day, Beckham’s first starting assignment will likely get receive much of the critical focus, with the former Manchester United, Real Madrid and LA Galaxy star assuming the regista’s role in midfield beside Blaise Matuidi. WIth the ranging French international doing much of the leg work, Beckham was left to do what he does best, distribute. In that role, he performed admirably. With a player like Matuidi beside him, there’s no reason Beckham can’t continue to have this kind of effect on big matches.
And today’s match was a relatively big one. PSG changed much of their team from this weekend’s Ligue 1 Classique, but Marseille still represents a high level of opposition. Against them, Beckham led the game in Opta’s “key passes.” Among the non-goalkeepers, only Marseille’s Joey Barton completed more long passes.
PSG head coach cast him in the role normally given to 20-year-old Italian Marco Verratti, and after seeing Beckham play 100 minutes in the role (between PSG’s last two games), it’s not exactly clear Verratti’s the better option. In fairness, it’s too early to tell, but the fact that Beckham can even be in this conversation at 37-year-old is beguiling.
Will you please start aging as fast as the rest of us?
Here are highlights of today’s game. You won’t get much Beckham, but particularly on the first goal, you’ll get enough Zlatan.
- PHOTOS: LA Galaxy, Real Salt Lake, Montreal Impact, Chicago Fire unveil new 2015 jerseys 1
- WATCH: Midweek Premier League TV schedule – Week 28 0
- 2015 MLS predictions: Cup winners? MVP? Lampard or Gerrard? Kaka or Giovinco? 2
- MLS Atlanta makes shrewd hire, bringing in Carlos Bocanegra as technical director 0
- BBC report: Sunderland’s Adam Johnson arrested on suspicion of sex with a 15-year-old girl 4
- Premier League Playback: Why Manchester City are throwing away the title 0