Feb 27, 2013, 6:15 PM EDT
AZ pulled off the upset today, going to Amsterdam to hand Dutch titans Ajax a surprising 3-0 loss in the KNVB Cup semifinals. While the club still has significant relegation worries in the Eredivisie, two goals by Jozy Altidore and a John Gudmundsson tally in between have pushed AZ into the Dutch Cup final.
There AZ will take on PSV, the league-leaders posting their own 3-0 win at PEC Zwolle on Wednesday. The winners get a ticket into Europa League, but if PSV holds off Ajax to take a league they currently lead by two points, AZ make Europe thanks to their place in the final.
With his double, Altidore now sits on 23 all-competition goals this season, equalling the mark Clint Dempsey posted for Fulham last year. Between league and cup, AZ’s schedule gives Altidore 11 games to set a new mark for U.S. internationals.
Sunday’s visit to RKC Waalwijk, a team that’s winless in nine, will be Altidore’s first chance to notch No. 24.
Here’s Altidore’s first goal of the day:
It’s probably not a good idea to let Altidore attack your right back like that. Ricardo van Rhijn, Ajax’s defender on the play, only gives up one inch in height to Altidore. The Dutch international also has a lot of experience as a center back, none of which helped on the play.
Jozy’s second on the day? Here’s where it gets fun:
True, the goal was a bit of a gift, but we see other players miss that shot all the time. Besides, Altidore may have deserved a second for his holdup play on Gudmundsson’s score, effort that have the big American an assist.
Two goals and one assist in a win at Ajax? Jozy may play this game for 15 more years and not have a better day than that.
I hope he’s enjoying his night in Amsterdam. You put up that kind of night against Ajax? You deserve it.
- MLS Snapshot: New York Red Bulls 4-1 Seattle Sounders 0
- Premier League Sunday preview: Man City vs. Chelsea; Everton, Spurs, Man United in action 0
- Premier League roundup: Arsenal, Southampton win, Liverpool upset 0
- West Ham United 3-1 Liverpool: Early goals send Irons to big upset 2
- Newcastle United 2-2 Hull City: Cisse’s brace saves embattled Magpies (video) 0
- Aston Villa 0-3 Arsenal: Red-hot Ozil, Welbeck fire Gunners to victory (video) 0