Feb 27, 2013, 6:15 PM EST
AZ pulled off the upset today, going to Amsterdam to hand Dutch titans Ajax a surprising 3-0 loss in the KNVB Cup semifinals. While the club still has significant relegation worries in the Eredivisie, two goals by Jozy Altidore and a John Gudmundsson tally in between have pushed AZ into the Dutch Cup final.
There AZ will take on PSV, the league-leaders posting their own 3-0 win at PEC Zwolle on Wednesday. The winners get a ticket into Europa League, but if PSV holds off Ajax to take a league they currently lead by two points, AZ make Europe thanks to their place in the final.
With his double, Altidore now sits on 23 all-competition goals this season, equalling the mark Clint Dempsey posted for Fulham last year. Between league and cup, AZ’s schedule gives Altidore 11 games to set a new mark for U.S. internationals.
Sunday’s visit to RKC Waalwijk, a team that’s winless in nine, will be Altidore’s first chance to notch No. 24.
Here’s Altidore’s first goal of the day:
It’s probably not a good idea to let Altidore attack your right back like that. Ricardo van Rhijn, Ajax’s defender on the play, only gives up one inch in height to Altidore. The Dutch international also has a lot of experience as a center back, none of which helped on the play.
Jozy’s second on the day? Here’s where it gets fun:
True, the goal was a bit of a gift, but we see other players miss that shot all the time. Besides, Altidore may have deserved a second for his holdup play on Gudmundsson’s score, effort that have the big American an assist.
Two goals and one assist in a win at Ajax? Jozy may play this game for 15 more years and not have a better day than that.
I hope he’s enjoying his night in Amsterdam. You put up that kind of night against Ajax? You deserve it.
- UEFA rules set up Arsenal, Manchester City for tough Champions League Round of 16 draws 0
- No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11 0
- UEFA Champions League recap: Barça, Chelsea, Dortmund claim groups; Arsenal through; Juve out 0
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- Arsenal advance in Champions League, but Napoli out despite win 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"