ProSoccerTalk’s preseason predictions for: Most Valuable Player

Feb 27, 2013, 12:02 PM EDT

FC Dallas v Los Angeles Galaxy Getty Images

ProSoccerTalk’s Richard Farley says … Robbie Keane

Let’s put aside the fact that Keane was the league’s best player over its final three months. But Richard, you might say, that seems important. Just bear with me, because when the LA Galaxy get off to a decent start in their two Donovan-less months, we’re going to look at Keane’s contributions and build an early case for the 33-year-old Irishman. And as his numbers stay strong throughout the season, we’ll stop talking about his MVP case only to come back in October and say, “Gee, this was kind of a foregone conclusion, wasn’t it?”

ProSoccerTalk’s Noah Davis says … Landon Donovan

I know, I know he’s not going to play right away. But think about it: A rested and rejuvenated Donovan, who — oh-by-the-way — might want to prove a point or seven to the haters, remains the league’s most dangerous weapon, especially with the growing talent around him. David Beckham went bye bye in the off-season, which means the duty to create will fall directly on those newly lightened shoulders of Donovan. Robbie Keane, Mike Magee, and on-the-verge-of-breaking-out Jose Villarreal will be the recipients. Next year, Bruce Arena will hold preseason in Cambodia.

(MORE: full roster of ProSoccerTalk’s Major League Soccer previews and predictions)

ProSoccerTalk’s Steve Davis says … Omar Gonzalez

There’s a ton of fascinating possibilities, from the old reliables (Thierry Henry, Chris Wondolowski, Dwayne De Rosario, Robbie Keane) to the relative MLS newbies (Federico Higuain, Diego Valeri) to some really intriguing wild cards (Chris Pontius … yeah, I said that.)

And would anybody be super-shocked to see Landon Donovan come back and, if properly motivated, raise the Galaxy to another level in his belated April entrance, directing some serious MVP discussion his way? Clearly, Noah would not be.

But I’m throwing my money behind Galaxy center back Omar Gonzalez, the best guy on the field in December’s MLS Cup and the real savior behind the champs’ 2012 season, which had gone all kind of wrong before the commanding U.S. international arrived back from injury to put things right.

1. lonestarv - Feb 27, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Wow, really fellas?

2. pensfan603 - Feb 27, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Robbie Keene is an ok choose, but id go with Zusi.

3. wfjackson3 - Feb 27, 2013 at 3:09 PM

If SKC is anywhere near as good as they were last year, it will be hard not to give it to someone like Zusi. No Kamara, no Espinoza, a new striker, Bunbury sitting for months doing rehab, and Feilhaber trying to rescue his career, and you guys all pick LA Galaxy players? Omar Gonzales should worry about wrestling the Defender of the Year away from Besler, nevermind league MVP.

4. dreadpirate82 - Feb 27, 2013 at 3:36 PM

If New York improves this year, Rafa Marquez could win unanimously, in absentia.

• wfjackson3 - Feb 27, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Hahaha, the leagues inaugural Most Valuable Absence. I love it.

• dreadpirate82 - Feb 27, 2013 at 4:24 PM

I somehow don’t see MLS making this an official award.

• Richard Farley - Feb 27, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Who else can we include here? Obviously, not on Marquez’s lofty lefel, but Robson? Boyd? Salihi? I’m sure I’m missing some obvious ones.

• dreadpirate82 - Feb 27, 2013 at 5:53 PM

You could definitely make a case for the Scottish trio in the Pacific Northwest. I’m not coming up with anyone else, though. Most of the other major departures I’m thinking of had positive impacts on their teams. Could be someone whose absence opens up a spot for someone to break out, a la Luis Gil. Still not the same as Marquez. He’s a lock for this fake award.

I’m sure other teams would vote for Roger Espinoza, just because they’ll be happy he’s no longer badgering them constantly.

5. wfjackson3 - Feb 27, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Haha, thats another good one. The “Thank god he left for europe” award. I think that one goes to Espinoza, hands down.

As for who else to include, lets not leave out Denilson.

Week 6: Premier League recap