Feb 27, 2013, 9:40 AM EDT
The “firsts” are coming a little more often now for Stuart Holden on his long, long road to recovery.
That was probably the most significant of the “firsts,” as it was his first competitive match minutes in more than a year. Remember, the genesis of Holden’s injury struggles was from March 19, 2011, when Manchester United’s Jonny Evans mangled the U.S. international’s right knee in a nasty challenge.
Holden played his first league contest almost two years Tuesday, entering as a first-half sub in Bolton’s 1-0 win over Peterborough in England’s second tier.
- Seattle 2-0 L.A. Galaxy: Pappa the hero again, Sounders win 1st Shield 0
- Premier League roundup: Arsenal, Saints win, Manchester City stunned (video) 0
- Real Madrid 3-1 Barcelona: Real win El Clasico, Suarez returns 3
- Sunderland 0-2 Arsenal: Sanchez seals win after horrendous defending (video) 0
- VIDEO: Russell Brand crashes Sam Allardyce’s presser with a huge kiss 2
- West Ham United 2-1 Manchester City: Hammers stun reigning champs (video) 1