Feb 27, 2013, 12:50 PM EDT
Eighteen players represent less than a full MLS roster. It’s about three percent of the league, though depending on who Sports Illustrated’s Grant Wahl reached out to for these posts at SI.com (here and here), this could work. If you get the right people, your sample could reasonably reflect the population.
I’ll leave the rest of that to Nate Silver.
More likely, this is just the view of 18 dudes. Is it random? The people at the top of Wahl’s speed dial? Those who happened to be in New York recently to help the league’s preseason promotions?
Who knows, and it probably doesn’t matter. Parse it too much and you lose the fun of this exercise, where Wahl asked his sample a number of hot button questions about the league.
Here are some of the more conclusive outcomes:
- Thierry Henry got six votes for player with whom you’d most want to start a team. Nobody else got more than two.
- Players voted 15-3 to ban “artificial turf,” though it should be noted no Major League Soccer team plays on artificial turf. This insane discussion continues. So glad we’re making progress.
- Best atmosphere: Seattle 9, Portland 8. Which venue got the other vote? Somebody please tell me what I’m missing.
- New England got 12 votes for worst quality field. Next highest: Vancouver’s carpet with four. No surprises there.
- Columbus and Dallas both got six votes for least fun city in the league. No other destination got more than two.
- Fourteen players said retroactive punishment is necessary. Good. I think we saw the positive impact this had last season.
- Seventeen out of 18 said a gay player would be accepted. These seem like optimistic response, but I really hope it’s true.
- None of those surveyed knew of an instance of a player being approached by gambling interests.
- Sixteen agreed with Don Garber – MLS would be a top league by 2022.
Wahl’s survey is 25 questions long and worth your time (it won’t take more than a few seconds to skim it). It may only reach out to 18 players, but where there’s consensus, we get a good idea of where players stand. On some of the issues — retroactive punishment, gay players — that viewpoint’s enlightening.
Mostly, it’s just a fun exercise. There have been some early attempts to glean insight from it, but as Wahl intimates in his intro, this is a fun way to do a preseason preview. Some results were informative, but it’s not necessarily scientific.
It’s just a good snapshot.
Apr 19, 2015, 8:05 PM EDT
Despite losing to Chelsea over the weekend, Robbie Earle and Kyle Martino think Manchester United is already looking ahead to next season’s Premier League title chase.
Apr 19, 2015, 7:09 PM EDT
Philadelphia squandered a first half lead as New England rallied to earn a come-from-behind victory.
Apr 19, 2015, 6:02 PM EDT
Catch up on all of Sunday’s action from Spain and Italy’s top flights.
Apr 19, 2015, 5:07 PM EDT
Thousands of supporters boycotted Newcastle’s match today, as they dropped their sixth straight in the league. With 35 points and five to play, should the Magpies be worrying about relegation?
Apr 19, 2015, 4:15 PM EDT
Following Liverpool’s FA Cup semifinal loss to Aston Villa, the Reds’ boss said his side must learn how to deal with the occasion in big matches.
Apr 19, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT
The horrible attack comes the night before a local derby, but police have ruled out fan violence as a motive.
Apr 19, 2015, 2:34 PM EDT
Go inside the Manchester Derby match day experience with a pair of supporter groups.
Apr 19, 2015, 1:49 PM EDT
The Manchester City winger was sent home quickly from the hospital and he confirmed the “tests have gone well.”
Apr 19, 2015, 1:27 PM EDT
The Manchester City manager wouldn’t be drawn into questions about his future at the club.
Apr 19, 2015, 12:51 PM EDT
Spurs bracketed halftime with a pair of goals and they stood tall to Newcastle’s spotty threat.
Apr 19, 2015, 11:58 AM EDT
Villa will play Arsenal in the FA Cup final after beating Liverpool against all the odds.
Apr 19, 2015, 11:39 AM EDT
Mourinho plays up defensive masterclass. But how did he quell United’s attackers?
Apr 19, 2015, 10:44 AM EDT
Spurs search for a European place as they take on struggling Newcastle from St. James’ Park.
Apr 19, 2015, 10:35 AM EDT
The home side produced enough moments at the Etihad to see off a timid West Ham side.
Apr 19, 2015, 9:55 AM EDT
With his goal of an Eredivisie title secure, Memphis Depay will be a popular transfer target this coming summer.
Apr 19, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT
The West Ham defender flubbed an easy clearance and sent the ball into his own net as Manchester City have dominated West Ham in the first half.
Apr 19, 2015, 8:16 AM EDT
Thomas Tuchel will follow in Jurgen Klopp’s footsteps for the second time when he takes over at Borussia Dortmund this summer.
Apr 19, 2015, 7:52 AM EDT
A pair of slipping sides meet at the Etihad in a rematch of last seasons title-clinching win for Manchester City.
Apr 19, 2015, 7:31 AM EDT
It’s that time of year, where big clubs look to the bench to replace important players in big games.
Apr 19, 2015, 1:14 AM EDT
Keeping tabs on all the action from Week 7 of the 2015 MLS season.
- VIDEO: Is relegation a possibility for Newcastle United? 0
- Aston Villa 2-1 Liverpool: Gerrard denied fairytale ending as Villa stun Reds, reach FA Cup final 3
- Jose Mourinho: Chelsea had Manchester United’s stars “in our pockets.” Is he right? 1
- Manchester City 2-0 West Ham: Two first half goals put down poor Hammers 0
- Borussia Dortmund names Thomas Tuchel as Jurgen Klopp’s successor 0
- MLS roundup: Goals galore as Sounders, Crew SC, Galaxy cruise to three points 1