Feb 28, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
The Rapids would be Mwanga’s third team. The Philadelphia Union took the Zaire-born talent who moved to the United States in 2006 with the first pick in the 2010 MLS SuperDraft. He scored 12 goals in 61 games for the club before getting traded to Rose City in the middle of last season. He made 18 appearances, netting three goals, during the disappointing campaign in his adopted hometown.
It’s possible that the move could help the forward find his form. He has struggled to figure out a place in Philly and Portland, needing the ball to create and not getting it enough. That said, Mwanga still has the pace and skill to succeed and more in the Rockies. Buddle’s absence, combined with the Rapids’ overhaul, will mean there is a place for the forward who is still only 21. The question is can he take advantage? (It’s not a great sign that the Union and the Timbers have already given up on him…)
Bad time to mention that when I spoke to Danny Mwanga when drafted No. 1 overall, he said he hoped to play in French league within 2 years?
— LeanderLastNameNoFit (@LeanderOnFOX) February 28, 2013
Speaking of Caleb Porter and Gavin Wilkinson — we were, weren’t we? — rumors are flying that they plan to announce the signing of forward Frederic Piquionne, who is perhaps best known for scoring the 10,000 goal in Premier League history when he was with West Ham. He’s an interesting acquisition, a player with plenty of talent but one who is getting up in years. How do we think his 34-year-old knees and joints will fare on the artificial turf at JELD-WEN? We shall see. We shall see.
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 0
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 2
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Bayern Munich star Toni Kroos fails to rule out Manchester United move 6
- Manchester United set to bid $50 million for Southampton’s star duo 0
- In MLS, West is best… at least for a weekend 1
- TV Ratings for MLS Season Opener Increase 283% in 1 Year
- Liga MX Radar: Michael Arroyo Scores a Quad
- Sounders FC Monday Morning Breakdown
- Maidana Stars in Impressive Philly Newbie Trio
- Barnsley Send Brek Shea Back to Stoke after Fight with Fan
- Yanks in Mexico: Torres Scores in Tigres Win, Garza Gives Solid Display
- Julio Cesar Put his Semester in Toronto at Risk
- Getafe Fire Luis Garcia, Hire Cosmin Contra as New Manager
- Former Sounders Teammates Rosales and Hurtado Faced off in LA
- The Clock is Ticking for Tim Sherwood at Spurs