Feb 28, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
The Rapids would be Mwanga’s third team. The Philadelphia Union took the Zaire-born talent who moved to the United States in 2006 with the first pick in the 2010 MLS SuperDraft. He scored 12 goals in 61 games for the club before getting traded to Rose City in the middle of last season. He made 18 appearances, netting three goals, during the disappointing campaign in his adopted hometown.
It’s possible that the move could help the forward find his form. He has struggled to figure out a place in Philly and Portland, needing the ball to create and not getting it enough. That said, Mwanga still has the pace and skill to succeed and more in the Rockies. Buddle’s absence, combined with the Rapids’ overhaul, will mean there is a place for the forward who is still only 21. The question is can he take advantage? (It’s not a great sign that the Union and the Timbers have already given up on him…)
Bad time to mention that when I spoke to Danny Mwanga when drafted No. 1 overall, he said he hoped to play in French league within 2 years?
— LeanderLastNameNoFit (@LeanderOnFOX) February 28, 2013
Speaking of Caleb Porter and Gavin Wilkinson — we were, weren’t we? — rumors are flying that they plan to announce the signing of forward Frederic Piquionne, who is perhaps best known for scoring the 10,000 goal in Premier League history when he was with West Ham. He’s an interesting acquisition, a player with plenty of talent but one who is getting up in years. How do we think his 34-year-old knees and joints will fare on the artificial turf at JELD-WEN? We shall see. We shall see.
- FOLLOW LIVE — 2015 Copa America: Hosts Chile vs. Peru in semifinal no. 1 0
- Men in Blazers podcast special: USWNT’s Klingenberg talks defense, Germany, karate 0
- It’s official: Petr Cech has swapped London clubs, Chelsea to Arsenal 4
- Spanish football league becomes first to take legal action over Qatar World Cup dates 3
- England’s case of World Cup fever just what the doctor ordered for women’s soccer in Britain 3
- Agent confirms Carlos Bacca has reached agreement with AC Milan 0