Feb 28, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
The Rapids would be Mwanga’s third team. The Philadelphia Union took the Zaire-born talent who moved to the United States in 2006 with the first pick in the 2010 MLS SuperDraft. He scored 12 goals in 61 games for the club before getting traded to Rose City in the middle of last season. He made 18 appearances, netting three goals, during the disappointing campaign in his adopted hometown.
It’s possible that the move could help the forward find his form. He has struggled to figure out a place in Philly and Portland, needing the ball to create and not getting it enough. That said, Mwanga still has the pace and skill to succeed and more in the Rockies. Buddle’s absence, combined with the Rapids’ overhaul, will mean there is a place for the forward who is still only 21. The question is can he take advantage? (It’s not a great sign that the Union and the Timbers have already given up on him…)
Bad time to mention that when I spoke to Danny Mwanga when drafted No. 1 overall, he said he hoped to play in French league within 2 years?
— LeanderLastNameNoFit (@LeanderOnFOX) February 28, 2013
Speaking of Caleb Porter and Gavin Wilkinson — we were, weren’t we? — rumors are flying that they plan to announce the signing of forward Frederic Piquionne, who is perhaps best known for scoring the 10,000 goal in Premier League history when he was with West Ham. He’s an interesting acquisition, a player with plenty of talent but one who is getting up in years. How do we think his 34-year-old knees and joints will fare on the artificial turf at JELD-WEN? We shall see. We shall see.
Jun 20, 2013, 7:11 AM EDT
Atsu’s freakish pace and bags of talent mean he may end up knocking Stewart Downing from his rickety perch.
Jun 19, 2013, 11:05 PM EDT
MONTCLAIR, N.J. – Thursday’s United States women’s national team match falls smack in the middle of the inaugural National Women’s Soccer League season. It’s a friendly. It’s against the same team, Korea Republic, that the United States just handily defeated 4-1 on Saturday. But its relevance is critical, particularly to Abby Wambach – and for…
Jun 19, 2013, 10:21 PM EDT
Among the many assets in Jurgen Klinsmann’s portfolio, few are trending down.
Jun 19, 2013, 8:44 PM EDT
Confederations Cup completely worth it when it provides matches like these.
Jun 19, 2013, 7:35 PM EDT
There’re no shortage of players to praise after the U.S. completes a nine-out-of-nine run.
Jun 19, 2013, 6:47 PM EDT
Most U.S. players were still in the locker room an hour after final whistle Tuesday … watching a basketball game. Hmmm.
Jun 19, 2013, 5:58 PM EDT
Even while struggling, LA’s still the standard, but can they turn things around enough to keep Portland from the top of the West.
Jun 19, 2013, 5:25 PM EDT
Neymar’s show compounded problems for CONCACAF’s champions.
Jun 19, 2013, 4:52 PM EDT
The 42-year-old American revealed he is taking coaching courses to prepare for whenever his career is over.
Jun 19, 2013, 4:17 PM EDT
Some of those old issues of communication and understanding between Jones and Michael Bradley were on display once again in Utah:
Jun 19, 2013, 3:32 PM EDT
Montréal can open a gap atop the East with a win tonight. If Houston springs the upset, they’ll be within one point of the conference leaders.
Jun 19, 2013, 2:44 PM EDT
He didn’t exactly say much, but Pepe Reina’s club is Liverpool – at least, right now.
Jun 19, 2013, 12:04 PM EDT
Cameras caught a message from Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea, could it foreshadow a move?
Jun 19, 2013, 11:22 AM EDT
Fabio Capello is the latest manager to say “no” to the defending Ligue 1 champions.
Jun 19, 2013, 10:23 AM EDT
Liverpool take a huge net loss on the 24-year-old while West Ham set their transfer fee record.
Jun 19, 2013, 9:48 AM EDT
Tragedy struck Chivas USA’s youth squad Monday night.
Jun 19, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT
At the call of fans and media alike, the FA Cup final at Wembley will return to its post-league date.
Jun 19, 2013, 8:35 AM EDT
The United States had the perfect lineup to slowly whittle away at the Honduras defense before it finally broke.
- Stock Falling: Which U.S. players’ statures are slipping … 2
- Get to your DVRs as soon as possible, because that Italy-Japan match was a classic 1
- Stock Rising: United States men whose values are rising out of Salt Lake 2
- MLS Preview: Portland Timbers at LA Galaxy 0
- Goal, assist from Neymar give Brazil win, prolong Mexico’s woes 2
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team (29)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Orlando City dumps Sporting Kansas City out of U.S. Open Cup, extend unbeaten streak to 14 matches (13)
- It’s time FIFA reconsiders the Confederations Cup bid to the Oceania region (13)
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public