Feb 28, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
Before anyone fires off the angry emails, recall that several talented creators who could be classified as attacking midfielders have already made their way onto other lists, mostly the rosters of top left-sided and right-sided midfielders.
We’re talking about Brad Davis, Mauro Rosales and Graham Zusi mostly.
Our ranking of the Top Ten attacking midfielders in Major League Soccer:
1. D.C. United’s Dwayne De Rosario (pictured)
2. Columbus Crew’s Federico Higuain >
Lots of guys had seven assists last year in MLS. Then again, most of them played in 28-30 games. Higuain collected his seven in 13 matches, and was far less than 100 percent for a couple of them, carrying and injury but playing on as Columbus pressed desperately for a playoff spots. Extrapolating that sum over a longer period puts the Crew creator in the 15-16 range, usually good enough to challenge for league best.
3. Real Salt Lake’s Javier Morales
4. FC Dallas’ David Ferreira
5. Montreal’s Felipe Martins
6. Portland’s Diego Valeri >
Heady, skillful and just experienced enough at age 26, the Argentine playmaker is central to Caleb Porter’s makeover at Jeld-Wen Field. The manager did choose Valeri over U.S. international Mix Diskerud.
7. Toronto FC’s Luis Silva >
There are some exciting, younger types on this list, none more than TFC’s creator, who was so impressive as a rookie last year, never mind the season of woe roiling around him. Silva is better operating out of the midfield but may need to play higher up the field until DP striker Danny Koevermans is back from injury.
8. Sporting Kansas City’s Benny Feilhaber
9. Colorado Rapids Martin Rivero >
The DSG Park playmaker will miss another few weeks recovering from a broken foot. Bummer, too, as manager Oscar Pareja now has a team that should synch up better with Rivero’s style.
10. Chivas USA’s Miller Bolaños
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 0
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 2
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Bayern Munich star Toni Kroos fails to rule out Manchester United move 6
- Manchester United set to bid $50 million for Southampton’s star duo 0
- In MLS, West is best… at least for a weekend 1
- TV Ratings for MLS Season Opener Increase 283% in 1 Year
- Liga MX Radar: Michael Arroyo Scores a Quad
- Sounders FC Monday Morning Breakdown
- Maidana Stars in Impressive Philly Newbie Trio
- Barnsley Send Brek Shea Back to Stoke after Fight with Fan
- Yanks in Mexico: Torres Scores in Tigres Win, Garza Gives Solid Display
- Julio Cesar Put his Semester in Toronto at Risk
- Getafe Fire Luis Garcia, Hire Cosmin Contra as New Manager
- Former Sounders Teammates Rosales and Hurtado Faced off in LA
- The Clock is Ticking for Tim Sherwood at Spurs