Feb 28, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
Before anyone fires off the angry emails, recall that several talented creators who could be classified as attacking midfielders have already made their way onto other lists, mostly the rosters of top left-sided and right-sided midfielders.
We’re talking about Brad Davis, Mauro Rosales and Graham Zusi mostly.
Our ranking of the Top Ten attacking midfielders in Major League Soccer:
1. D.C. United’s Dwayne De Rosario (pictured)
2. Columbus Crew’s Federico Higuain >
Lots of guys had seven assists last year in MLS. Then again, most of them played in 28-30 games. Higuain collected his seven in 13 matches, and was far less than 100 percent for a couple of them, carrying and injury but playing on as Columbus pressed desperately for a playoff spots. Extrapolating that sum over a longer period puts the Crew creator in the 15-16 range, usually good enough to challenge for league best.
3. Real Salt Lake’s Javier Morales
4. FC Dallas’ David Ferreira
5. Montreal’s Felipe Martins
6. Portland’s Diego Valeri >
Heady, skillful and just experienced enough at age 26, the Argentine playmaker is central to Caleb Porter’s makeover at Jeld-Wen Field. The manager did choose Valeri over U.S. international Mix Diskerud.
7. Toronto FC’s Luis Silva >
There are some exciting, younger types on this list, none more than TFC’s creator, who was so impressive as a rookie last year, never mind the season of woe roiling around him. Silva is better operating out of the midfield but may need to play higher up the field until DP striker Danny Koevermans is back from injury.
8. Sporting Kansas City’s Benny Feilhaber
9. Colorado Rapids Martin Rivero >
The DSG Park playmaker will miss another few weeks recovering from a broken foot. Bummer, too, as manager Oscar Pareja now has a team that should synch up better with Rivero’s style.
10. Chivas USA’s Miller Bolaños
- Premier League transfer window grades – Which team did the best business? 0
- Done Deal: Radamel Falcao completes move to Manchester United 3
- Done Deal: Better late than never, Arsenal seals deal with Welbeck 2
- Americans Abroad wrap: Guzan stays unbeaten, Lichaj & Bedoya thrive 1
- Done Deal: Listing all the Deadline Day deals from the Premier League 5
- Southampton sign Toby Alderweireld, add $18 million winger Sadio Mane 0