Feb 28, 2013, 4:00 PM EST
Before anyone fires off the angry emails, recall that several talented creators who could be classified as attacking midfielders have already made their way onto other lists, mostly the rosters of top left-sided and right-sided midfielders.
We’re talking about Brad Davis, Mauro Rosales and Graham Zusi mostly.
Our ranking of the Top Ten attacking midfielders in Major League Soccer:
1. D.C. United’s Dwayne De Rosario (pictured)
2. Columbus Crew’s Federico Higuain >
Lots of guys had seven assists last year in MLS. Then again, most of them played in 28-30 games. Higuain collected his seven in 13 matches, and was far less than 100 percent for a couple of them, carrying and injury but playing on as Columbus pressed desperately for a playoff spots. Extrapolating that sum over a longer period puts the Crew creator in the 15-16 range, usually good enough to challenge for league best.
3. Real Salt Lake’s Javier Morales
4. FC Dallas’ David Ferreira
5. Montreal’s Felipe Martins
6. Portland’s Diego Valeri >
Heady, skillful and just experienced enough at age 26, the Argentine playmaker is central to Caleb Porter’s makeover at Jeld-Wen Field. The manager did choose Valeri over U.S. international Mix Diskerud.
7. Toronto FC’s Luis Silva >
There are some exciting, younger types on this list, none more than TFC’s creator, who was so impressive as a rookie last year, never mind the season of woe roiling around him. Silva is better operating out of the midfield but may need to play higher up the field until DP striker Danny Koevermans is back from injury.
8. Sporting Kansas City’s Benny Feilhaber
9. Colorado Rapids Martin Rivero >
The DSG Park playmaker will miss another few weeks recovering from a broken foot. Bummer, too, as manager Oscar Pareja now has a team that should synch up better with Rivero’s style.
10. Chivas USA’s Miller Bolaños
- Some very interesting names now available through Major League Soccer’s re-entry process 0
- Premier League Playback: Everton in the mix, miserable Mourinho, basement boys battling 0
- United States national team 2014 friendlies coming into view 2
- Swansea 1-1 Hull: Danny Graham breaks his long scoring drought for the visitors (video) 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (33)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014