Feb 28, 2013, 9:40 AM EST
MLS commissioner Don Garber put a modern flourish Wednesday evening on his annual talk to help kick off the new season. A Google+ Hangout, produced at Google’s New York City office, was the delivery device as Garber fielded questions from journalists and fans.
Among the significant touchstones:
- A lot of the questions were about New York’s second franchise. Long story short here, MLS continues to plan on the 20th club landing there, and says development plans on the new stadium in Flushing Meadows are moving along, but with “a lot of work to do.”
- In fact, getting that stadium for a second NYC club represents “the biggest challenge we’ve ever faced,” Garber said.
- The Cosmos, about to begin play in domestic soccer’s second tier, will not be that team. Not without a meaningful sea change on the relationship between the new-old club and MLS. Garber: “They had a choice to make: Do they want to vie for a New York City MLS team or do they want to go to the second division? They decided to go into the second division and we support that and continue to support the NASL and the USL.”
- He did identify Orlando, Miami, Minneapolis and Atlanta as the current bunch of secondary expansion candidates. It does not sound like anything is close in any of those markets, although Orlando’s aggressive posture on stadium plans seems to have the Florida city better positioned than others.
- Garber spoke on the new initiatives aimed at tamping down certain undesirable behaviors along the sidelines and involving the referees. More on that here and here.
- He said the league does intervene occasionally as MLS clubs negotiate with foreign clubs over player sells, indicating that MLS does have interest in player valuation that may not always align with individual club interests. He said the league was “very involved” with the recent Brek Shea talks, which stalled before the FC Dallas winger was finally sold to Stoke City for a total just below $4 million.
- Along those lines, Garber indicated that he would prefer the league “never sell a player.” More on this one later at ProSoccerTalk.
- Garber expressed support for Landon Donovan, who remains away from the Galaxy for another few weeks. “This young guy has been holding the responsibility as the leader of the sport on the field since he was 15, 16 years old. None of us have had to do what Landon has had to do. … Think about it. It’s unprecedented for a single athlete in a professional sport.”
- The single-table format questions that will always come up at these things? Not. Going. To. Happen. As always, Garber reiterated that Major League Soccer’s board of governors remain bullish on a playoff structure.
Here’s the video of Garber’s address, and the question-and-answer session:
Dec 11, 2013, 7:46 PM EST
Once you narrow the list to 15 or so, it’s nearly impossible to decide from there:
Dec 11, 2013, 6:59 PM EST
That assumes, of course, that the former U.S. manager was ever a serious candidate:
Dec 11, 2013, 6:11 PM EST
Tough draws await Arsenal, Manchester City in the knockout round.
Dec 11, 2013, 5:31 PM EST
Demba Ba’s 10th minute goal was enough to give Chelsea Group E.
Dec 11, 2013, 4:47 PM EST
Brazilian star’s hat trick helps Barcelona rout Celtic, claim first in Group H.
Dec 11, 2013, 4:43 PM EST
One good club from Group F was bound to be odd team out on Wednesday as Champions League group play finished with a high-wire tension.
Dec 11, 2013, 3:32 PM EST
There’s more to “coaching discussions” right now in domestic soccer than those four MLS openings:
Dec 11, 2013, 2:31 PM EST
He keeps performing for “club” … but when it will translate to performance for “country?”
Dec 11, 2013, 2:15 PM EST
Hull chairman Assem Allam is ready to risk backlash with choice comments and a formal application for name change.
Dec 11, 2013, 1:45 PM EST
From East Coast goalkeeper to West Coast coach in under five hours.
Dec 11, 2013, 1:28 PM EST
Which venues will the USA be playing in next summer? We take an in-depth look at them, right here:
Dec 11, 2013, 1:12 PM EST
Next stop: politicians. David Beckham’s bid for a stadium in Miami is moving ahead.
Dec 11, 2013, 12:34 PM EST
New York City FC is on the verge of getting a palace in the Bronx.
Dec 11, 2013, 12:09 PM EST
What? Roy Keane back down from a fight? Sir Alex and Keano still bitter after all these years.
Dec 11, 2013, 11:33 AM EST
Dwyer suggested a transfer abroad was imminent, but has backtracked.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:54 AM EST
Longtime Revs keeper and Boston Marathon bombing hero retires with 75 clean sheets and 110 wins.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:15 AM EST
Former Inter star sends Juve down to the Europa League with help from Didier Drogba.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:00 AM EST
Who’s hot and who’s not? Check out how the sides stack up after a double dose of action last week:
Dec 11, 2013, 9:50 AM EST
Any takers on these three countries as potential upset-springers in Brazil?
Dec 11, 2013, 8:52 AM EST
Could Newcastle set a standard in offering exclusive access to paying media members?
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- Arsenal advance in Champions League, but Napoli out despite win 0
- Venue Guide: Check out where the USA will play at 2014 World Cup in Brazil 5
- Premier League Power Rankings: Everton flying, Manchester United nosedive – Week 14-15 1
- Three 2014 World Cup dark horses across three continents 3
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"