Feb 28, 2013, 9:40 AM EDT
MLS commissioner Don Garber put a modern flourish Wednesday evening on his annual talk to help kick off the new season. A Google+ Hangout, produced at Google’s New York City office, was the delivery device as Garber fielded questions from journalists and fans.
Among the significant touchstones:
- A lot of the questions were about New York’s second franchise. Long story short here, MLS continues to plan on the 20th club landing there, and says development plans on the new stadium in Flushing Meadows are moving along, but with “a lot of work to do.”
- In fact, getting that stadium for a second NYC club represents “the biggest challenge we’ve ever faced,” Garber said.
- The Cosmos, about to begin play in domestic soccer’s second tier, will not be that team. Not without a meaningful sea change on the relationship between the new-old club and MLS. Garber: “They had a choice to make: Do they want to vie for a New York City MLS team or do they want to go to the second division? They decided to go into the second division and we support that and continue to support the NASL and the USL.”
- He did identify Orlando, Miami, Minneapolis and Atlanta as the current bunch of secondary expansion candidates. It does not sound like anything is close in any of those markets, although Orlando’s aggressive posture on stadium plans seems to have the Florida city better positioned than others.
- Garber spoke on the new initiatives aimed at tamping down certain undesirable behaviors along the sidelines and involving the referees. More on that here and here.
- He said the league does intervene occasionally as MLS clubs negotiate with foreign clubs over player sells, indicating that MLS does have interest in player valuation that may not always align with individual club interests. He said the league was “very involved” with the recent Brek Shea talks, which stalled before the FC Dallas winger was finally sold to Stoke City for a total just below $4 million.
- Along those lines, Garber indicated that he would prefer the league “never sell a player.” More on this one later at ProSoccerTalk.
- Garber expressed support for Landon Donovan, who remains away from the Galaxy for another few weeks. “This young guy has been holding the responsibility as the leader of the sport on the field since he was 15, 16 years old. None of us have had to do what Landon has had to do. … Think about it. It’s unprecedented for a single athlete in a professional sport.”
- The single-table format questions that will always come up at these things? Not. Going. To. Happen. As always, Garber reiterated that Major League Soccer’s board of governors remain bullish on a playoff structure.
Here’s the video of Garber’s address, and the question-and-answer session:
Jun 29, 2015, 11:25 PM EDT
A huge blow for Mexico as an injury will keep Mexico’s best defender off their Gold Cup squad.
Jun 29, 2015, 10:26 PM EDT
Ronaldinho is on the move again, and (thankfully) he’s not coming to MLS.
Jun 29, 2015, 9:23 PM EDT
Chile will play for their first Copa America title on Saturday. A chance to make history at home.
Jun 29, 2015, 8:31 PM EDT
Guus Hiddink is out as Dutch national team manager after less than a year in charge. Who do they turn to now, ahead of EURO 2016?
Jun 29, 2015, 7:04 PM EDT
It’s No. 1 vs. No. 2 in the world, but it’s only a semifinal.
Jun 29, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
By the end of tonight, either Chile or Peru will have booked their place in the final.
Jun 29, 2015, 5:10 PM EDT
A goal and an assist — finally a dominant performance — in the weekend’s biggest rivalry game earns Darlington Nagbe POTW honors.
Jun 29, 2015, 4:27 PM EDT
“Rivalry Week” is in the books, and a number of derby day conquerors find themselves on the last MLS Team of the Week.
Jun 29, 2015, 3:21 PM EDT
Rog talks with the USWNT’s Meghan Klingenberg about the team’s lockdown defense, her karate training, and living with Jeff Van Gundy’s family.
Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup fifth round preview: Cosmos look to do MLS’ N.Y. double, Charlotte hits Chicago
Jun 29, 2015, 3:07 PM EDT
Here’s what’s on tap for Tuesday and Wednesday as the USSF tournament stays regional.
Jun 29, 2015, 2:23 PM EDT
Toronto FC and L.A. will kick off at 10:30 p.m. ET on Saturday. The Galaxy have won two of their last three matches.
Jun 29, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
You think gossip’s going to take a Monday off? Pssh, please.
Jun 29, 2015, 12:52 PM EDT
Guangzhou Evergrande have added a big name to their title charge in the Chinese Super League.
Jun 29, 2015, 11:39 AM EDT
Many if not all neutral fans expect Argentina and Chile to make it through their Copa America semifinals en route to a border battle final.
Jun 29, 2015, 10:45 AM EDT
That picture is weird, but we’ll get used to it once the Premier League season begins in August.
Jun 29, 2015, 10:06 AM EDT
Less talking, more ranking. Feel free to debate in the comments section.
Jun 29, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
FIFA’s weather-related move of the 2022 World Cup from to November-December has its first legal challenge.
Jun 29, 2015, 7:57 AM EDT
Could women’s football in England be en route to a Brandi Chastain moment of their own?
Jun 28, 2015, 11:37 PM EDT
Some vacationing footballers enjoying a bit of head-tennis
Jun 28, 2015, 9:54 PM EDT
Final: Timbers 4-1 Sounders
- Chile 2-1 Peru: Vargas’ wondergoal puts the hosts through to Copa America final (video) 0
- Men in Blazers podcast special: USWNT’s Klingenberg talks defense, Germany, karate 1
- It’s official: Petr Cech has swapped London clubs, Chelsea to Arsenal 4
- Spanish football league becomes first to take legal action over Qatar World Cup dates 3
- England’s case of World Cup fever just what the doctor ordered for women’s soccer in Britain 3
- Agent confirms Carlos Bacca has reached agreement with AC Milan 0