Mar 1, 2013, 11:13 AM EST
For all we soccer geeks, this 72-hour off-season for Major League Soccer is about the best thing this side of free wi-fi.
OK, it was a little longer than 72 hours – but not much.
From last kick of 2012 MLS Cup until Saturday’s first kick of 2013, a mere three months has gone by. (For clubs and players, the down time was somewhere between six and 10 weeks, depending on when they bombed out of the post-season picture; preseason practices began around Jan. 18 for most clubs.)
For those of us who find a little more pep in our step once MLS regular season passing and trapping begins anew, the freshly compressed off-season time frame is a whole lot of awesome. It does, however, add some element of difficulty as clubs go through the off-season paces of roster fortification.
The league’s shortest off-season yet has made it more difficult for teams to get their rosters set within a more ideal time frame.
Thus, quite a few clubs continue to make significant roster moves, still adding and trimming, continuing to create the best possible personnel assembly, never mind that first kick is now about 24 hours away.
We find this, for instance, in Seattle, where the Sounders continue to finalize plans on importing Obafemi Martins into Century Link Field. ”We are on the verge of finalising everything and it should be another step in my career,” Martins told BBC Sport.
We told you this morning about Portland Timbers adding English league veteran Frédéric Piquionne, who will not be available for the Timbers opener Sunday against New York.
Of course, there are all kinds of comings and goings in Toronto, where the makeover will apparently stretch into … well, hard to say how long. Just yesterday, Torsten Frings announced his retirement, subtracting one of the club’s most experienced men.
And if you believe the reports today, Welsh international Robert Earnshaw is on his way to BMO Field. (Earnshaw is pictured above.) (FYI, the wise Bobby McMahon from Fox Soccer Report calls Earnshaw the “poor man’s Robbie Keane.” Brilliant.
Elsewhere, some late preseason signings are just now signing up, such as Andrew Driver in Houston, who made his first Dynamo practice just this very morning.
More moves are certainly on the way. Remember, whereas the international transfer window closed Jan. 30 in many parts of the world, it remains open in MLS through May 6. Plus, players out of contract may move into MLS at any time.
Dec 12, 2013, 11:00 PM EST
Unless a player lifts his shirt over his head, you may never see Intel’s contribution to Barcelona’s uniforms.
Where They Stand: Europa League’s 32 knockout round teams (and their potential effect on UEFA’s coefficients)
Dec 12, 2013, 10:05 PM EST
Italy and Ukraine could see big boosts to their coefficients, with each federation placing four teams in Europa’s knockout rounds.
Dec 12, 2013, 9:04 PM EST
How close is PRP to blood doping? Close enough to get the Premier League’s attention.
Dec 12, 2013, 8:02 PM EST
The two-time Defender of the Year rejoins former Crew boss Sigi Schmid in Seattle.
Dec 12, 2013, 7:09 PM EST
The Dash join the Portland Thorns as MLS-backed teams in women’s league.
Dec 12, 2013, 6:17 PM EST
Recovery timeline could leave Portland winger passed over by Costa Rica.
Dec 12, 2013, 5:31 PM EST
Like other notable quality American outfielders (e.g. Clint Dempsey), Cameron is a late-developer who has really evolved.
Dec 12, 2013, 4:38 PM EST
D.C. United upgraded half their defense on Thursday. But what are they getting for the money?
Dec 12, 2013, 3:38 PM EST
We saw this coming. Portland traded up on Thursday to snare the former Zip.
Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018
Dec 12, 2013, 3:01 PM EST
Klinsmann’s signed up for another cycle, the U.S. hoping to extend its evolution beyond Brazil.
Dec 12, 2013, 2:01 PM EST
This marks the first time a Bundesliga club has played in the league’s summer showcase.
Dec 12, 2013, 1:05 PM EST
Two big questions this weekend: 1) Can Spurs stop Luis Suarez? and
2) Does City’s midfield rival that of Arsenal?
Dec 12, 2013, 10:26 AM EST
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, Young says, but “for me, the referees have made decisions and that’s it.”
Dec 12, 2013, 9:15 AM EST
Would Moyes really loan Zaha to a competitor like Everton or Newcastle?
Dec 12, 2013, 8:01 AM EST
When looking back at the biggest UK Twitter “surges” of 2013 there is one topic that dominates the landscape: footy.
Dec 11, 2013, 11:46 PM EST
You can’t been drawn against a team from your own federation – a rule that will hurt Arsenal, Manchester City on Monday.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:24 PM EST
The defenses need to get better in both places. A lot better:
No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11
Dec 11, 2013, 9:23 PM EST
A little social media brush fire over the new Miami expansion outfit was promptly, mercifully extinguished:
Dec 11, 2013, 8:33 PM EST
Highlights from all Wednesday’s games, which saw Barça’s newest start break out, Italy’s reigning champions eliminated.
Dec 11, 2013, 7:46 PM EST
Once you narrow the list to 15 or so, it’s nearly impossible to decide from there:
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 2
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 1
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 4
- Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018 3
- MLS announces Bayern Munich as opponent for 2014 All-Star Game in Portland 5
- WATCH: Can Tottenham stop Luis Suarez and can City beat Arsenal? 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (16)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Group B: No Walk In The Park