ProSoccerTalk’s preseason predictions for: Conference champs, MLS Cup winner

Mar 1, 2013, 4:02 PM EDT

2012 MLS Cup - Houston Dynamo v Los Angeles Galaxy Getty Images

ProSoccerTalk’s Noah Davis says …

As for conference champions, I like D.C. United and the LA Galaxy. Ben Olsen can work magic, except it’s not really magic, it’s just hard work. Perry Kitchen will continue to develop into a leader and Nick DeLeon and Chris Pontius will lead the attack (barring injury of course, a big if with those two). As for the Galaxy, it’s a boring pick, but it’s the right one. The squad is too good, too skilled, too well-coached to suffer through another early-season slump.

On MLS Cup: Seattle Sounders. I don’t know; I just have a feeling. The playoffs are such a crapshoot, and it’s about time, you know?

ProSoccerTalk’s Richard Farley says …

As conference champions, I like D.C. United and the LA Galaxy.

Confession: I was the main push behind putting San Jose number one on our list two weeks ago, but now knowing a bit more about the Earthquakes and Galaxy, I’m flipping the script. I think San Jose is in survival mode to start the season, given their injuries. I also get the feeling they’re taking the long view of the season and might be willing to sacrifice points in April and May to get their guys ready for September and October. I think LA’s defense and Robbie Keane will keep them decent through the third act of the Donovan saga, and given how tight the West could be, I think that’s enough to switch the order.

In the East, I like D.C.’s team to continue improving. I’m not sold on the changes Sporting’s had to incur, and I think Ben Olsen and team will take a lot of pride in not only competing for the conference but potentially taking the Supporters’ Shield. This is D.C., after all.

For MLS Cup, I’ll take the Houston Dynamo.

Why now when they couldn’t win in 2011 or 2012? Because come December, I think Houston’s going to have the best team in the league. I’m not sure Dominic Kinnear is going to ride them so hard that they take the East, but come playoff time, I expect them to make their now-typical run. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a third-straight LA-Houston final, and nine months out, I like the Dynamo to take that one.

ProSoccerTalk’s Steve Davis says …

I’d like to be bold and pick Seattle to make the big breakthrough in the West – but I just cannot quite get there. The LA Galaxy back line is just too much better, and Robbie Keane will get 14-16 goals easily if he can carry all that momentum from the back half of 2012 into this year.

In the East – Here’s where I rescue this post from the rather boring prospect of all three of us picking the same doggone teams! – I’ll take the New York Red Bulls to slip past a D.C. United team that I do like a lot. (Man, the East is just stacked and packed this year, eh?) RBNY is just a shade under-strength on the outside midfield spots, but powerful everywhere else. Plus, if the look under Mike Petke most closely resembles a 4-2-3-1, they don’t really have flank midfield spots. Speaking of Petke, the players seem to be taking to him, and that added element of chemistry will go far. So, yes, I’m going there. I am picking the Red Bulls, ignoring the flashing red lights of history!

MLS Cup champion? I’m going back to the LA Galaxy. Reason: By summer, Landon Donovan will be dashing about at Full Donovan, and I can only assume a Frank Lampard or a Kaka will be bouncing around and getting the job done at the Home Depot Center. Three-peat! I’m calling it.

(MORE: full roster of PST preseason predictions and previews)

Latest Posts
  1. Manchester City’s Zabaleta believes Diego Costa luckily escaped red card

Sep 21, 2014, 10:09 PM EDT

manchester-city-pablo-zabaleta Getty Images

Manchester City defender Pablo Zabaleta thinks the referee let Diego Costa off without a red card during their encounter that spurred a red card for the Argentine.

2. Barcelona stays undefeated with 5-0 drubbing of Levante

Sep 21, 2014, 9:07 PM EDT

FC Barcelona v SL Benfica - UEFA Champions League Getty Images

Barcelona beat Levante 5-0 on Sunday to continue their winning streak in all competitions.

3. Joe Hart’s Manchester City future in limbo, Liverpool may target the goalkeeper

Sep 21, 2014, 7:02 PM EDT

Can England start to churn out talents such as Joe Hart from SGP on a regular basis? Getty Images

Manchester City goalie Joe Hart confirmed that he hadn’t discussed a new contract with the club, and Liverpool is a prime candidate for his services, according to the Metro.

4. Merseyside police to explore racist comments at Mario Balotelli

Sep 21, 2014, 5:48 PM EDT

hi-res-133f09d31924ea9d682e1f1a8a3ffef1_crop_north Getty Images

More racism was thrown at Mario Balotelli, but this time, it appears law enforcement will get involved.

5. Mesut Ozil, Danny Welbeck brandish skills in 3-0 win over Aston Villa

Sep 21, 2014, 5:09 PM EDT

Mesut Özil returns for Arsenal as they attempt to reclaim the top of the Premier League table with a win over Stoke. AP

Mesut Ozil and Danny Welbeck scored and assisted each other during the Gunners 3-0 win over Aston Villa.

6. WATCH: Alessandro Florenzi embraces grandmother in stands after goal

Sep 21, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT

Unknown Getty Images

Alessandro Florenzi hugged and kissed his grandmother in the Stade Olimpico stands following his goal in AS Roma’s 2-0 victory over Cagliari.

7. Roberto Martinez on Crystal Palace loss: ‘We didn’t have that real drive about us’

Sep 21, 2014, 3:34 PM EDT

Martinez AP

Everton manager Roberto Martinez laments loss to Crystal Palace, saying that his squad lost its drive for victory.

8. Daniel Sturridge reacts to Lampard’s equalizer against Chelsea

Sep 21, 2014, 3:06 PM EDT

Lampard Getty Images

One England international paid respects to another as a legend scored an emotional goal for his new team against his old.

9. Emotional Lampard just as shocked after pegging back ex-club Chelsea (VIDEO)

Sep 21, 2014, 1:55 PM EDT

Lampard AP

We didn’t see this coming, and neither did Frank Lampard.

10. Manchester City 1-1 Chelsea: Lampard shocks former club with late equalizer (video)

Sep 21, 2014, 12:57 PM EDT

Zabaleta AP

Pablo Zabaleta’s second yellow card changed the game, but a former Chelsea legend came back to haunt them.

11. Everton 2-3 Crystal Palace: Visitors overwhelm Goodson with deadly counters (video)

Sep 21, 2014, 12:55 PM EDT

PalaceEverton

Everton started early and saw much of the ball but Crystal Palace got a few breaks and took advantage to pick up their first win of the season.

12. Mario Balotelli mocks Manchester United on twitter

Sep 21, 2014, 11:21 AM EDT

Balotelli AP

Mario Balotelli put an LOL up on Twitter at Manchester United’s expense, and subjected himself to some horrible racial abuse.

13. VIDEO: Angel Di Maria scores stunning chip for Manchester United

Sep 21, 2014, 10:57 AM EDT

ManchesterUnited AP

Despite heavy defeat, United’s new attacker scores goal of the season contender.

14. Watch Live: Everton vs. Crystal Palace (Lineups)

Sep 21, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT

Everton Getty Images

Everton has sewn the seeds for a good run of form and are hoping to build on recent success against a struggling Palace squad.

15. Watch Live: Manchester City vs. Chelsea (Lineups)

Sep 21, 2014, 10:42 AM EDT

Costa AP

Diego Costa hsa been in fantastic form to begin his Premier League career, and has the chance to fire Chelsea five points clear at the top of the table.

16. Leicester City 5-3 Manchester United: Foxes complete comeback for the ages (video)

Sep 21, 2014, 10:26 AM EDT

LCFCvMUFC Getty Images

Manchester United were left shell-shocked after blowing a 3-1 lead against Premier League minnows.

17. Tottenham 0-1 West Brom: Baggies get off the bottom with deserved win (video)

Sep 21, 2014, 10:22 AM EDT

WestBrom Getty Images

Spurs offered little as James Morrison propelled West Brom off the bottom of the table.

18. Leeds United makes move for manager Darko Milanic

Sep 21, 2014, 9:33 AM EDT

Milanic Getty Images

Championship side Leeds is dipping into Eastern Europe to find their new manager.

19. Goals flying as Manchester United lead Leicester City 2-1 before 20 minutes

Sep 21, 2014, 8:53 AM EDT

ManchesterUnited Getty Images

King Power Stadium is bursting with attacking skill as three goals have come within the opening 20 minutes.

Week 5: Top five Premier League goals