ProSoccerTalk’s preseason predictions for: Conference champs, MLS Cup winner

Mar 1, 2013, 4:02 PM EST

2012 MLS Cup - Houston Dynamo v Los Angeles Galaxy Getty Images

ProSoccerTalk’s Noah Davis says …

As for conference champions, I like D.C. United and the LA Galaxy. Ben Olsen can work magic, except it’s not really magic, it’s just hard work. Perry Kitchen will continue to develop into a leader and Nick DeLeon and Chris Pontius will lead the attack (barring injury of course, a big if with those two). As for the Galaxy, it’s a boring pick, but it’s the right one. The squad is too good, too skilled, too well-coached to suffer through another early-season slump.

On MLS Cup: Seattle Sounders. I don’t know; I just have a feeling. The playoffs are such a crapshoot, and it’s about time, you know?

ProSoccerTalk’s Richard Farley says …

As conference champions, I like D.C. United and the LA Galaxy.

Confession: I was the main push behind putting San Jose number one on our list two weeks ago, but now knowing a bit more about the Earthquakes and Galaxy, I’m flipping the script. I think San Jose is in survival mode to start the season, given their injuries. I also get the feeling they’re taking the long view of the season and might be willing to sacrifice points in April and May to get their guys ready for September and October. I think LA’s defense and Robbie Keane will keep them decent through the third act of the Donovan saga, and given how tight the West could be, I think that’s enough to switch the order.

In the East, I like D.C.’s team to continue improving. I’m not sold on the changes Sporting’s had to incur, and I think Ben Olsen and team will take a lot of pride in not only competing for the conference but potentially taking the Supporters’ Shield. This is D.C., after all.

For MLS Cup, I’ll take the Houston Dynamo.

Why now when they couldn’t win in 2011 or 2012? Because come December, I think Houston’s going to have the best team in the league. I’m not sure Dominic Kinnear is going to ride them so hard that they take the East, but come playoff time, I expect them to make their now-typical run. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a third-straight LA-Houston final, and nine months out, I like the Dynamo to take that one.

ProSoccerTalk’s Steve Davis says …

I’d like to be bold and pick Seattle to make the big breakthrough in the West – but I just cannot quite get there. The LA Galaxy back line is just too much better, and Robbie Keane will get 14-16 goals easily if he can carry all that momentum from the back half of 2012 into this year.

In the East – Here’s where I rescue this post from the rather boring prospect of all three of us picking the same doggone teams! – I’ll take the New York Red Bulls to slip past a D.C. United team that I do like a lot. (Man, the East is just stacked and packed this year, eh?) RBNY is just a shade under-strength on the outside midfield spots, but powerful everywhere else. Plus, if the look under Mike Petke most closely resembles a 4-2-3-1, they don’t really have flank midfield spots. Speaking of Petke, the players seem to be taking to him, and that added element of chemistry will go far. So, yes, I’m going there. I am picking the Red Bulls, ignoring the flashing red lights of history!

MLS Cup champion? I’m going back to the LA Galaxy. Reason: By summer, Landon Donovan will be dashing about at Full Donovan, and I can only assume a Frank Lampard or a Kaka will be bouncing around and getting the job done at the Home Depot Center. Three-peat! I’m calling it.

(MORE: full roster of PST preseason predictions and previews)

Latest Posts
  1. Men in Blazers podcast: Kyle Martino joins to talk Thanksgiving and tie knots

Nov 26, 2014, 10:45 AM EST

meninblazers

Rog and Davo scrutinize Arsenal, Manchester United and Liverpool and welcome Kyle Martino to the pod.

2. Champions League Wednesday preview: Arsenal can advance, Liverpool need kick-start

Nov 26, 2014, 10:19 AM EST

FBL-EUR-C1-LIVERPOOL-LUDOGORETS Getty Images

Eight Champions League matches take place today as Arsenal and Liverpool both look to rebound from Premier League losses.

3. Cesc Fabregas offended by Sergio Ramos’ comments

Nov 26, 2014, 9:25 AM EST

Chelsea v Arsenal - Premier League Getty Images

Spanish defender Sergio Ramos questioned some players loyalty to the national team, which didn’t sit well with Cesc Fabregas.

4. Darren Bent on loan to Championship side Brighton & Hove Albion

Nov 26, 2014, 8:35 AM EST

Aston Villa v FC Dallas - Pre-Season Friendly Getty Images

The Aston Villa striker will be looking for minutes as he heads down the ranks to the Championship on a one-month loan.

5. FIFA releases 20-man shortlist of top defenders

Nov 26, 2014, 7:45 AM EST

FBL-ENG-PR-MAN CITY-LIVERPOOL Getty Images

Four Premier League defenders found their way onto FIFA’s shortlist for the 2014 FIFPro World XI.

6. PRO general manager: LA/SEA referee Stott never issued “no second yellows” declaration

Nov 25, 2014, 11:15 PM EST

Zach Scott, Gyasi Zardes AP

There were a lot of fouls in the first leg of Los Angeles and Seattle’s Western Conference final, and some were quite serious.

7. WATCH: Nani makes Maribor’s defense look silly in Sporting CP’s UEFA Champions League win

Nov 25, 2014, 10:45 PM EST

Nani AP

Like many fun to watch goals, the magic of the shooter is magnified by the mistakes of the defenders.

8. Jose Mourinho to Schalke after Chelsea’s 5-0 win: “It’s not your fault”

Nov 25, 2014, 10:00 PM EST

FBL-EUR-C1-SCHALKE-CHELSEA Getty Images

“I think they have to accept we were too strong for them,” added Mourinho.

9. Bob Bradley’s talks with a Swedish club have broken down; Staying at Stabaek?

Nov 25, 2014, 9:16 PM EST

Digitalsport.no Digitalsport.no

We’ll be following who else comes calling for the Princeton man.

10. Manchester United assistant Ryan Giggs thinks Chelsea’s the top dog, compares Louis van Gaal to Alex Ferguson

Nov 25, 2014, 8:05 PM EST

Manchester United v Chelsea - Premier League Getty Images

Giggs calls the Stamford Bridge club “head and shoulders above the Premier League” on the strength of their back four.

11. New York City FC rolls out jet black road jersey; How’d they do?

Nov 25, 2014, 7:13 PM EST

@NYCFC @NYCFC

These will be hot in the summer. But are they hot now? What do you think?

12. Out with the old? Colorado declines options on Buddle, Wynne, LaBrocca, but won’t rule out returns

Nov 25, 2014, 6:51 PM EST

Colorado Rapids v Real Salt Lake Getty Images

Eleven players had their options declined on Tuesday, but Colorado says they could be back with the club in January.

13. UEFA Champions League roundup: Chelsea win group, Man City’s late show, classy PSG

Nov 25, 2014, 6:03 PM EST

Recapping all the action from around Europe after a pivotal matchday in UCL play.

14. West Brom, England striker Saido Berahino arrested for drinking and driving

Nov 25, 2014, 5:55 PM EST

Chelsea v West Bromwich Albion - Premier League Getty Images

Berahino scored in the next match after his arrest, but has since gone cold.

15. VIDEO: Robbie Rogers discusses new book, coming out on NBC’s “Today”

Nov 25, 2014, 5:32 PM EST

Robbie Rogers, Micheal Azira AP

Rogers talked about how working with gay and lesbian youth organizations made him realize the impact he could make as an openly-gay player.

16. Manchester City ready for almighty clash with AS Roma for last 16 spot

Nov 25, 2014, 5:22 PM EST

Frank Lampard Frank Lampard

City’s late show sets up pulsating clash in the Italian capital next month.

17. Manchester City 3-2 Bayern Munich: Aguero’s hat trick hands Citizens lifeline

Nov 25, 2014, 4:46 PM EST

Sergio Aguero Sergio Aguero

Citizens grab last-gasp win to boost their chances of making the last 16.

18. Schalke 0-5 Chelsea: Blues with an untouchable performance against old boss

Nov 25, 2014, 4:33 PM EST

Germany Soccer Champions League AP

Five different players netted as Chelsea picked up its largest road Champions League win since 1999.

19. VIDEO: Luis Suarez scores first goal for Barcelona

Nov 25, 2014, 4:10 PM EST

FBL-EUR-C1-APOEL-BARCELONA FBL-EUR-C1-APOEL-BARCELONA

Suarez is off and running for Barca with a goal of exceptional class. What else did you expect?

20. Lionel Messi breaks Raul’s record for Champions League goals (video)

Nov 25, 2014, 3:46 PM EST

FC Barcelona v SL Benfica - UEFA Champions League Getty Images

The only other active players in the Top Ten are Chelsea’s Didier Drogba (44) and Thierry Henry (50), who obviously isn’t active with a UEFA Champions League club.

Week 12: Premier League recap