ProSoccerTalk’s preseason predictions for: Conference champs, MLS Cup winner

Mar 1, 2013, 4:02 PM EDT

2012 MLS Cup - Houston Dynamo v Los Angeles Galaxy Getty Images

ProSoccerTalk’s Noah Davis says …

As for conference champions, I like D.C. United and the LA Galaxy. Ben Olsen can work magic, except it’s not really magic, it’s just hard work. Perry Kitchen will continue to develop into a leader and Nick DeLeon and Chris Pontius will lead the attack (barring injury of course, a big if with those two). As for the Galaxy, it’s a boring pick, but it’s the right one. The squad is too good, too skilled, too well-coached to suffer through another early-season slump.

On MLS Cup: Seattle Sounders. I don’t know; I just have a feeling. The playoffs are such a crapshoot, and it’s about time, you know?

ProSoccerTalk’s Richard Farley says …

As conference champions, I like D.C. United and the LA Galaxy.

Confession: I was the main push behind putting San Jose number one on our list two weeks ago, but now knowing a bit more about the Earthquakes and Galaxy, I’m flipping the script. I think San Jose is in survival mode to start the season, given their injuries. I also get the feeling they’re taking the long view of the season and might be willing to sacrifice points in April and May to get their guys ready for September and October. I think LA’s defense and Robbie Keane will keep them decent through the third act of the Donovan saga, and given how tight the West could be, I think that’s enough to switch the order.

In the East, I like D.C.’s team to continue improving. I’m not sold on the changes Sporting’s had to incur, and I think Ben Olsen and team will take a lot of pride in not only competing for the conference but potentially taking the Supporters’ Shield. This is D.C., after all.

For MLS Cup, I’ll take the Houston Dynamo.

Why now when they couldn’t win in 2011 or 2012? Because come December, I think Houston’s going to have the best team in the league. I’m not sure Dominic Kinnear is going to ride them so hard that they take the East, but come playoff time, I expect them to make their now-typical run. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a third-straight LA-Houston final, and nine months out, I like the Dynamo to take that one.

ProSoccerTalk’s Steve Davis says …

I’d like to be bold and pick Seattle to make the big breakthrough in the West – but I just cannot quite get there. The LA Galaxy back line is just too much better, and Robbie Keane will get 14-16 goals easily if he can carry all that momentum from the back half of 2012 into this year.

In the East – Here’s where I rescue this post from the rather boring prospect of all three of us picking the same doggone teams! – I’ll take the New York Red Bulls to slip past a D.C. United team that I do like a lot. (Man, the East is just stacked and packed this year, eh?) RBNY is just a shade under-strength on the outside midfield spots, but powerful everywhere else. Plus, if the look under Mike Petke most closely resembles a 4-2-3-1, they don’t really have flank midfield spots. Speaking of Petke, the players seem to be taking to him, and that added element of chemistry will go far. So, yes, I’m going there. I am picking the Red Bulls, ignoring the flashing red lights of history!

MLS Cup champion? I’m going back to the LA Galaxy. Reason: By summer, Landon Donovan will be dashing about at Full Donovan, and I can only assume a Frank Lampard or a Kaka will be bouncing around and getting the job done at the Home Depot Center. Three-peat! I’m calling it.

(MORE: full roster of PST preseason predictions and previews)

Latest Posts
  1. MLS Snapshot: New England Revolution 3-0 Colorado Rapids

Jul 30, 2014, 10:43 PM EDT

New York Red Bulls v New England Revolution Getty Images

The Revs’ eight-game losing streak ends thanks to another strong night from Lee Nguyen.

2. MLS Snapshot: D.C. United 3-0 Toronto FC

Jul 30, 2014, 9:20 PM EDT

D.C. United's Eddie Johnson scored for the first time since being traded to the club this winter. His 84th minute goal left his team's game with Montréal tied, 1-1. (Photo: AP Photos) AP

The Red fall nine points back of second place United in the Eastern Conference.

3. Southampton’s replacement for Luke Shaw: Ryan Bertand, on loan

Jul 30, 2014, 8:27 PM EDT

Screen Shot 2014-07-30 at 3.46.35 PM

24-year-old defender loaned out for the seventh time.

4. Ugly scenes in Northern Ireland as Mexican U-19 player attempts to kick opponent’s head during Milk Cup brawl

Jul 30, 2014, 7:29 PM EDT

Screen Shot 2014-07-30 at 4.26.41 PM

Game is eventually cut short after a yet unnamed player aimed at the head of a fallen opponent.

5. Atlético Madrid latest club linked with Javier ‘Chicharito’ Hernández

Jul 30, 2014, 6:46 PM EDT

Chicharito Getty Images

Atlético’s interest could develop into Chicharito’s best option.

6. Nick De Santis no longer sporting director in Montréal

Jul 30, 2014, 5:58 PM EDT

500px-Montreal_Impact_(MLS)_logo

Nick De Santis will stay with the Impact, albeit in an administrative role.

7. Romelu Lukaku completes permanent, $47 million move to Everton

Jul 30, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT

MartinezLukaku Getty Images

Everton’s leading scorer returns to Goodison on a permanent basis.

8. NWSL implements cooling break procedure

Jul 30, 2014, 4:01 PM EDT

NWSL logo

With immediate effect, U.S.’s women’s league will pause mid-half if when it’s too hot.

9. VIDEO: Liverpool fan from New Jersey cries, loses the plot, after meeting Gerrard

Jul 30, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT

Liverpool fan

Liverpool roll into town and people freak out! Watch this incredible reaction to Stevie G signing autographs.

10. Report: US to play friendly vs. Colombia in San Antonio

Jul 30, 2014, 2:46 PM EDT

Brazil Soccer WCup Belgium US AP

Reports from Texas state Jurgen Klinsmann’s side are playing Colombia in September.

11. Philadelphia Union sign Algerian World Cup star Rais Mbolhi

Jul 30, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT

Germany v Algeria: Round of 16 - 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil Getty Images

Union grab Algerian goalkeeper Mbolhi, throw MacMath’s future in doubt.

12. FIFA’s senior vice-president Julio Grondona dies, Argentina mourns

Jul 30, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT

FBL-WC2014-QUALIFIERS-ARG-VEN Getty Images

One of the most influential men in world soccer passed away on Wednesday at the age of 82.

13. Premier League will use vanishing spray for 2014-15 season

Jul 30, 2014, 1:07 PM EDT

Morocco Soccer Club World Cup AP

After success at the 2014 World Cup, vanishing spray is coming to the PL.

14. Manchester United’s Luke Shaw agrees he’s not fit enough after Louis van Gaal criticism

Jul 30, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT

Luke Shaw Andrea Ranocchia AP

Shaw: “I didn’t come into United thinking it’s going to be much harder and that’s something I made a mistake on.”

15. PHOTOS: Scantily clad Cristiano Ronaldo poses for record-breaking magazine cover

Jul 30, 2014, 12:03 PM EDT

ronaldo cover final

Ronaldo flexing the abs as he is set to appear in the largest-ever Men’s Health front cover campaign.

16. VIDEO: Manchester United dominate Inter, win on penalties in Washington D.C.

Jul 30, 2014, 11:18 AM EDT

International Champions Cup 2014 - Inter Milan v Manchester United Getty Images

United make it three wins from three on their U.S. tour. Watch the highlights from Van Gaal’s men in action.

17. Manchester United reach “verbal agreement” on $80 million Arturo Vidal deal

Jul 30, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT

Arturo Vidal AP

Will United splash the cash to sign Vidal in central midfield?

18. Transfer Rumor Roundup: Cuadrado to Manchester United, Lukaku to Everton

Jul 30, 2014, 9:11 AM EDT

Colombia v Uruguay: Round of 16 - 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil Getty Images

United to splash the cash? Lukaku on his way out of Chelsea? All the latest gossip, right here.

19. Yaya Toure confirms he will stay at Manchester City

Jul 30, 2014, 8:27 AM EDT

Cardiff City v Manchester City - Premier League Getty Images

Toure: “My decision is that I will stay at Manchester City for as long as possible.”