ProSoccerTalk’s preseason predictions for: Conference champs, MLS Cup winner

Mar 1, 2013, 4:02 PM EDT

2012 MLS Cup - Houston Dynamo v Los Angeles Galaxy Getty Images

ProSoccerTalk’s Noah Davis says …

As for conference champions, I like D.C. United and the LA Galaxy. Ben Olsen can work magic, except it’s not really magic, it’s just hard work. Perry Kitchen will continue to develop into a leader and Nick DeLeon and Chris Pontius will lead the attack (barring injury of course, a big if with those two). As for the Galaxy, it’s a boring pick, but it’s the right one. The squad is too good, too skilled, too well-coached to suffer through another early-season slump.

On MLS Cup: Seattle Sounders. I don’t know; I just have a feeling. The playoffs are such a crapshoot, and it’s about time, you know?

ProSoccerTalk’s Richard Farley says …

As conference champions, I like D.C. United and the LA Galaxy.

Confession: I was the main push behind putting San Jose number one on our list two weeks ago, but now knowing a bit more about the Earthquakes and Galaxy, I’m flipping the script. I think San Jose is in survival mode to start the season, given their injuries. I also get the feeling they’re taking the long view of the season and might be willing to sacrifice points in April and May to get their guys ready for September and October. I think LA’s defense and Robbie Keane will keep them decent through the third act of the Donovan saga, and given how tight the West could be, I think that’s enough to switch the order.

In the East, I like D.C.’s team to continue improving. I’m not sold on the changes Sporting’s had to incur, and I think Ben Olsen and team will take a lot of pride in not only competing for the conference but potentially taking the Supporters’ Shield. This is D.C., after all.

For MLS Cup, I’ll take the Houston Dynamo.

Why now when they couldn’t win in 2011 or 2012? Because come December, I think Houston’s going to have the best team in the league. I’m not sure Dominic Kinnear is going to ride them so hard that they take the East, but come playoff time, I expect them to make their now-typical run. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a third-straight LA-Houston final, and nine months out, I like the Dynamo to take that one.

ProSoccerTalk’s Steve Davis says …

I’d like to be bold and pick Seattle to make the big breakthrough in the West – but I just cannot quite get there. The LA Galaxy back line is just too much better, and Robbie Keane will get 14-16 goals easily if he can carry all that momentum from the back half of 2012 into this year.

In the East – Here’s where I rescue this post from the rather boring prospect of all three of us picking the same doggone teams! – I’ll take the New York Red Bulls to slip past a D.C. United team that I do like a lot. (Man, the East is just stacked and packed this year, eh?) RBNY is just a shade under-strength on the outside midfield spots, but powerful everywhere else. Plus, if the look under Mike Petke most closely resembles a 4-2-3-1, they don’t really have flank midfield spots. Speaking of Petke, the players seem to be taking to him, and that added element of chemistry will go far. So, yes, I’m going there. I am picking the Red Bulls, ignoring the flashing red lights of history!

MLS Cup champion? I’m going back to the LA Galaxy. Reason: By summer, Landon Donovan will be dashing about at Full Donovan, and I can only assume a Frank Lampard or a Kaka will be bouncing around and getting the job done at the Home Depot Center. Three-peat! I’m calling it.

(MORE: full roster of PST preseason predictions and previews)

Latest Posts
  1. Frank Lampard could be fit to play in City’s match vs. West Ham

Oct 23, 2014, 5:43 PM EDT

Lampard AP

Manchester City’s Frank Lampard could be fit to play against West Ham in Premier League competition on Saturday.

2. Cristiano Ronaldo on El Clasico: ‘I won’t be playing against Messi. I’ll be playing against Barcelona.’

Oct 23, 2014, 4:53 PM EDT

cristiano_ronaldo AP

“I won’t be playing against Messi — I’ll be playing against Barcelona,” says Ronaldo, concerning his duel with Barcelona’s Lionel Messi.

3. Brendan Rogers has faith in Balotelli, but noncommittal on striker’s future

Oct 23, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT

Balotelli AP

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers likes what Mario Balotelli has to offer, but he’s unsure if the forward will last a while at Anfield.

4. VIDEO: Can Manchester United beat Chelsea? PST Extra breaks it down

Oct 23, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT

PST Extra - Oct. 23

Will the Blues lose their first game of the season away at Old Trafford on Sunday? JPW and Prindi analyze that and more.

5. Father auctions his son’s allegiance… Manchester United or Manchester City?

Oct 23, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT

FBL-ENG-PR-MAN CITY-MAN UTD Getty Images

Little Eddie won’t have a say in who he supports, but it’s all for a good cause.

6. Sunil Gulati backs Jurgen Klinsmann following MLS dispute, USMNT “on the same page”

Oct 23, 2014, 1:12 PM EDT

GulatiKlinsmann Getty Images

Gulati: “Jurgen is our coach and technical director, and I fully expect that to be the case through to the 2018 World Cup.”

7. Diego Costa remains a doubt for Chelsea amid illness, groin strain

Oct 23, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT

With Costa struggling to make the bench, plus Remy out, Chelsea are running out of strikers.

8. All eyes on Origi: Tim Howard, Everton wary of on-loan Liverpool forward

Oct 23, 2014, 11:04 AM EDT

Belgium v USA: Round of 16 - 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil Getty Images

Howard: “I know what he likes to do, but that doesn’t mean I will always be capable of stopping him.”

9. MLS Atlanta urges David Beckham, Miami to share stadium with Dolphins

Oct 23, 2014, 10:22 AM EDT

Cincinnati v Miami Cincinnati v Miami

Atlanta Falcons owner urges Beckham to link up with Miami Dolphins to sort out MLS stadium mess.

10. Everton fans reportedly attacked by gang in Lille ahead of Europa League clash

Oct 23, 2014, 9:36 AM EDT

FBL-EUR-C3-EVERTON-SUPPORTERS FBL-EUR-C3-EVERTON-SUPPORTERS

A gang of 100 local men reportedly ambushed Everton fans outside city center pub.

11. Report: Dutch star Dirk Kuyt heading to Southampton

Oct 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Will Saints swoop to sign former Liverpool star?

12. Reality check: Outclassed by Real Madrid, what now for Liverpool?

Oct 23, 2014, 8:34 AM EDT

Liverpool’s players react to Real Madrid humbling, as growing pains continue to spiral out of control.

13. After winless October, USA drop out of top 20 in latest FIFA rankings

Oct 23, 2014, 7:54 AM EDT

Klinsmann Getty Images

After two draws in October, the USA drops six places in latest world rankings.

14. Galatasaray’s 3-D Tifo has demanded all others to step their game up

Oct 22, 2014, 11:04 PM EDT

Screen Shot 2014-10-22 at 10.48.58 PM

How did the Galatasaray supporters pull off this Tifo before Wednesday’s match against Borussia Dortmund? How?!?

15. Thursday’s Europa League preview: Spurs go Greek, Everton faces Lille

Oct 22, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT

Britain Soccer Europa League AP

The pair of Premier League clubs remaining in the competition face quite different tests on Thursday.

16. PST’s MLS Rookie of the Year: Shipp, Hagglund, Akindele or Birnbaum?

Oct 22, 2014, 9:25 PM EDT

Nick Hagglund; Michael Bradley AP

Perhaps it isn’t the sexiest year for rookies in Major League Soccer, but there’s a quartet of names set to stick around for a while.

17. Arsene Wenger: We went big and it paid off against Anderlecht

Oct 22, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT

Belgium Soccer Champions League AP

“I had hope, it maybe didn’t look like it, but it happened,” Wenger said.

18. It’s official: World No. 3 Colombia to face USMNT in London on Nov. 14

Oct 22, 2014, 7:23 PM EDT

James Rodriguez AP

“So overall, it’s a squad with a lot of experience playing at the highest level, and this will be another great benchmark for us,” Klinsmann said.

19. Brendan Rodgers remarks on Balotelli and Pepe’s halftime shirt swap

Oct 22, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT

Britain Soccer Champions League AP

Of course many are claiming this “is the beginning of end” for Balotelli on Merseyside. That seems a bit much.

PST Extra: Can United beat Chelsea?