ProSoccerTalk’s preseason predictions for: Conference champs, MLS Cup winner

Mar 1, 2013, 4:02 PM EDT

2012 MLS Cup - Houston Dynamo v Los Angeles Galaxy Getty Images

ProSoccerTalk’s Noah Davis says …

As for conference champions, I like D.C. United and the LA Galaxy. Ben Olsen can work magic, except it’s not really magic, it’s just hard work. Perry Kitchen will continue to develop into a leader and Nick DeLeon and Chris Pontius will lead the attack (barring injury of course, a big if with those two). As for the Galaxy, it’s a boring pick, but it’s the right one. The squad is too good, too skilled, too well-coached to suffer through another early-season slump.

On MLS Cup: Seattle Sounders. I don’t know; I just have a feeling. The playoffs are such a crapshoot, and it’s about time, you know?

ProSoccerTalk’s Richard Farley says …

As conference champions, I like D.C. United and the LA Galaxy.

Confession: I was the main push behind putting San Jose number one on our list two weeks ago, but now knowing a bit more about the Earthquakes and Galaxy, I’m flipping the script. I think San Jose is in survival mode to start the season, given their injuries. I also get the feeling they’re taking the long view of the season and might be willing to sacrifice points in April and May to get their guys ready for September and October. I think LA’s defense and Robbie Keane will keep them decent through the third act of the Donovan saga, and given how tight the West could be, I think that’s enough to switch the order.

In the East, I like D.C.’s team to continue improving. I’m not sold on the changes Sporting’s had to incur, and I think Ben Olsen and team will take a lot of pride in not only competing for the conference but potentially taking the Supporters’ Shield. This is D.C., after all.

For MLS Cup, I’ll take the Houston Dynamo.

Why now when they couldn’t win in 2011 or 2012? Because come December, I think Houston’s going to have the best team in the league. I’m not sure Dominic Kinnear is going to ride them so hard that they take the East, but come playoff time, I expect them to make their now-typical run. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a third-straight LA-Houston final, and nine months out, I like the Dynamo to take that one.

ProSoccerTalk’s Steve Davis says …

I’d like to be bold and pick Seattle to make the big breakthrough in the West – but I just cannot quite get there. The LA Galaxy back line is just too much better, and Robbie Keane will get 14-16 goals easily if he can carry all that momentum from the back half of 2012 into this year.

In the East – Here’s where I rescue this post from the rather boring prospect of all three of us picking the same doggone teams! – I’ll take the New York Red Bulls to slip past a D.C. United team that I do like a lot. (Man, the East is just stacked and packed this year, eh?) RBNY is just a shade under-strength on the outside midfield spots, but powerful everywhere else. Plus, if the look under Mike Petke most closely resembles a 4-2-3-1, they don’t really have flank midfield spots. Speaking of Petke, the players seem to be taking to him, and that added element of chemistry will go far. So, yes, I’m going there. I am picking the Red Bulls, ignoring the flashing red lights of history!

MLS Cup champion? I’m going back to the LA Galaxy. Reason: By summer, Landon Donovan will be dashing about at Full Donovan, and I can only assume a Frank Lampard or a Kaka will be bouncing around and getting the job done at the Home Depot Center. Three-peat! I’m calling it.

(MORE: full roster of PST preseason predictions and previews)

Latest Posts
  1. MLS Snapshot: FC Dallas 0-0 Seattle Sounders

Mar 28, 2015, 10:41 PM EDT

Zach Loyd, FC Dallas Zach Loyd, FC Dallas

A disappointing result for FCD, given Seattle’s lack of Dempsey and Martins, but a great one considering their early red card.

2. MLS Snapshot: Vancouver Whitecaps 2-1 Portland Timbers

Mar 28, 2015, 10:06 PM EDT

Vancouver Whitecaps Vancouver Whitecaps

Three more points for Vancouver, who win it late on Robert Earnshaw’s Whitecaps debut. He scores for everyone.

3. MLS Snapshot: D.C. United 1-0 LA Galaxy

Mar 28, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT

D.C. United D.C. United

It was the late, late, late show at RFK Stadium, and despite being thoroughly outplayed, D.C. United go home with three points.

4. MLS Snapshot: New York City FC 0-1 Sporting Kansas City

Mar 28, 2015, 9:04 PM EDT

Ike Opara, Sporting Kansas City Ike Opara, Sporting Kansas City

Sporting KC get their first victory of the season, while NYCFC suffer their first defeat of the year — and history.

5. EURO 2016 qualifying roundup: Netherlands, Italy rescue draws; Bale, Wales go top

Mar 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT

Gareth Bale, Wales Gareth Bale, Wales

It wasn’t a great day to be a traditional European giant, but it was a great day to be Gareth Bale and Wales.

6. MLS Snapshot: New England Revolution 2-1 San Jose Earthquakes

Mar 28, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT

Kelyn Rowe, New England Revolution Kelyn Rowe, New England Revolution

A dominant performance — and the three points to match — from the Revs…finally.

7. Orlando City SC field a four-man bench due to injuries, MLS playing through int’l window

Mar 28, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT

Kaka, Orlando City SC Kaka, Orlando City SC

Think that MLS playing through int’l windows isn’t a big deal? Let’s ask Orlando City what they think about it.

8. If you only read one story on Sol Campbell today, let it be this one.

Mar 28, 2015, 2:50 PM EDT

Preview Screening of 'Invincibles' Getty Images

Campbell was capped 73 times, and is England’s second-youngest captain. Clearly he knows that, too.

9. WATCH: Gareth Bale just scored a nice free kick for Wales… if you’re into that sort of thing

Mar 28, 2015, 2:21 PM EDT

Israel Wales Euro Soccer AP

A win would give Wales a two-point lead in Group B with a game-in-hand on both Israel and Cyprus.

10. Freddy Adu has joined a new club, this one in Finland

Mar 28, 2015, 1:39 PM EDT

CBMeXdCVIAAteBM-300x225

The Canaries finished in 7th place last season in the Veikkausliiga, Finland’s top-flight.

11. Klinsmann’s USMNT struggles, experimentation in friendlies: Does it really matter?

Mar 28, 2015, 12:54 PM EDT

Denmark Soccer Usa AP

Should the States’ losses in friendlies represent anything other than a concern at the lack of US youth readiness for the big stage?

12. Liverpool’s Glen Johnson linked with summer move to, January start date with Barcelona

Mar 28, 2015, 12:08 PM EDT

Liverpool Training Session Getty Images

This likely comes as a surprise to Liverpool fans, as Johnson is widely treated rightly or wrongly as a scapegoat by Reds supporters.

13. Klinsmann explains philosophy behind mad scientist lineups, formations for USMNT

Mar 28, 2015, 10:37 AM EDT

Denmark US Soccer AP

Does the embattled USMNT coach have a point? I’m again bracing for the comment section when I say… I think so.

14. Russia wants full points from match abandoned after Akinfeev struck in head by flare (video)

Mar 28, 2015, 8:50 AM EDT

Russia's Igor Akinfeev hit by flare at Montenegro, match later abandoned Getty Images

Given UEFA president Michel Platini’s concerned words and warning about fan violence just this week, could he do something even more harsh?

15. Marsch critical of Klinsmann’s experimentation, lack of USMNT “identity”

Mar 28, 2015, 7:55 AM EDT

Jesse Marsch AP

The States are 1-4 in their last five matches, all four coming on the road (Colombia, Ireland, Chile and Denmark).

16. Injury update: England likely facing Italy without Welbeck, Sterling

Mar 27, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT

England v Slovenia - EURO 2016 Qualifier Getty Images

Both Danny Welbeck and Raheem Sterling will most likely be out of England’s friendly vs. Italy on Tuesday.

Week 30: Headline PL moment