ProSoccerTalk’s preseason predictions for: Conference champs, MLS Cup winner

Mar 1, 2013, 4:02 PM EST

2012 MLS Cup - Houston Dynamo v Los Angeles Galaxy Getty Images

ProSoccerTalk’s Noah Davis says …

As for conference champions, I like D.C. United and the LA Galaxy. Ben Olsen can work magic, except it’s not really magic, it’s just hard work. Perry Kitchen will continue to develop into a leader and Nick DeLeon and Chris Pontius will lead the attack (barring injury of course, a big if with those two). As for the Galaxy, it’s a boring pick, but it’s the right one. The squad is too good, too skilled, too well-coached to suffer through another early-season slump.

On MLS Cup: Seattle Sounders. I don’t know; I just have a feeling. The playoffs are such a crapshoot, and it’s about time, you know?

ProSoccerTalk’s Richard Farley says …

As conference champions, I like D.C. United and the LA Galaxy.

Confession: I was the main push behind putting San Jose number one on our list two weeks ago, but now knowing a bit more about the Earthquakes and Galaxy, I’m flipping the script. I think San Jose is in survival mode to start the season, given their injuries. I also get the feeling they’re taking the long view of the season and might be willing to sacrifice points in April and May to get their guys ready for September and October. I think LA’s defense and Robbie Keane will keep them decent through the third act of the Donovan saga, and given how tight the West could be, I think that’s enough to switch the order.

In the East, I like D.C.’s team to continue improving. I’m not sold on the changes Sporting’s had to incur, and I think Ben Olsen and team will take a lot of pride in not only competing for the conference but potentially taking the Supporters’ Shield. This is D.C., after all.

For MLS Cup, I’ll take the Houston Dynamo.

Why now when they couldn’t win in 2011 or 2012? Because come December, I think Houston’s going to have the best team in the league. I’m not sure Dominic Kinnear is going to ride them so hard that they take the East, but come playoff time, I expect them to make their now-typical run. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a third-straight LA-Houston final, and nine months out, I like the Dynamo to take that one.

ProSoccerTalk’s Steve Davis says …

I’d like to be bold and pick Seattle to make the big breakthrough in the West – but I just cannot quite get there. The LA Galaxy back line is just too much better, and Robbie Keane will get 14-16 goals easily if he can carry all that momentum from the back half of 2012 into this year.

In the East – Here’s where I rescue this post from the rather boring prospect of all three of us picking the same doggone teams! – I’ll take the New York Red Bulls to slip past a D.C. United team that I do like a lot. (Man, the East is just stacked and packed this year, eh?) RBNY is just a shade under-strength on the outside midfield spots, but powerful everywhere else. Plus, if the look under Mike Petke most closely resembles a 4-2-3-1, they don’t really have flank midfield spots. Speaking of Petke, the players seem to be taking to him, and that added element of chemistry will go far. So, yes, I’m going there. I am picking the Red Bulls, ignoring the flashing red lights of history!

MLS Cup champion? I’m going back to the LA Galaxy. Reason: By summer, Landon Donovan will be dashing about at Full Donovan, and I can only assume a Frank Lampard or a Kaka will be bouncing around and getting the job done at the Home Depot Center. Three-peat! I’m calling it.

(MORE: full roster of PST preseason predictions and previews)

Latest Posts
  1. Africa Cup of Nations roundup: Tunisia, DR Congo draw in group finale, advance to QF

Jan 26, 2015, 7:10 PM EST

Ahmed Akaichi, Tunisia Ahmed Akaichi, Tunisia

After two more places in the knockout rounds were booked on Tuesday, half the quarterfinal matchups are set.

2. Chile vs. USA preview: Who’s here to stay as USMNT kicks off 2015?

Jan 26, 2015, 6:15 PM EST

Wil Trapp (left), Columbus Crew Wil Trapp (left), Columbus Crew

Half the current USMNT roster was built with the Gold Cup in mind, while the other half is about next year’s Olympics. So, who’s who, then?

3. Report: Juan Agudelo close to signing with his former MLS team, New England Revolution

Jan 26, 2015, 4:05 PM EST

Juan Agudelo, FC Utrecht Juan Agudelo, FC Utrecht

After eight months without a club, Juan Agudelo is reportedly returning to the place he should have been all along: MLS.

4. VIDEO: Legendary Argentine playmaker Juan Roman Riquelme retires

Jan 26, 2015, 2:59 PM EST

Juan Roman Riquelme Juan Roman Riquelme

As the soccer world will no longer see the maverick skills of the Argentine playmaker, here’s a look at some of his best moments.

5. FA Cup fifth-round draw: Arsenal vs. Middlesbrough, Midlands derby, minnows at home

Jan 26, 2015, 2:38 PM EST

Here’s the draw for the last 16 of the FA Cup, as PL big boys get more tough tests.

6. Head of Dutch FA, Michael van Praag, will challenge Blatter for FIFA presidency

Jan 26, 2015, 1:57 PM EST

UEFA Europa League Handover In Amsterdam Getty Images

Van Praag announces his intentions to run against Blatter, says he has the backing of five federations.

7. Drinks on her! Lady wins $24,000 after $3 bet predicted huge FA Cup upsets

Jan 26, 2015, 1:00 PM EST

Hartlepool United v Blyth Spartans - FA Cup Second Round Getty Images

Betting on five underdogs away from home in the FA Cup will win you serious cash.

8. Diego Fagundez says he was “tired of waiting for the U.S.” after choosing to play for Uruguay

Jan 26, 2015, 12:32 PM EST

FBL-U20-SOUTHAM-URU-COL FBL-U20-SOUTHAM-URU-COL

Fagundez explains why he couldn’t wait any longer to select his national team.

9. Chelsea’s Andre Schurrle rumored to want Wolfsburg move. Should he move on?

Jan 26, 2015, 12:00 PM EST

Swansea City v Chelsea - Premier League Getty Images

If Wolfsburg can agree a fee for Schurrle, should he leave Stamford Bridge?

10. Transfer ban for Real Madrid? Probe launched after signing of Venezuelan kids

Jan 26, 2015, 9:20 AM EST

Official logo of the spanish football team, Real Madrid. Official logo of the spanish football team, Real Madrid.

The signing of two Venezuelan youngsters could put Real in plenty of trouble with FIFA, as Barcelona-esque transfer ban could be on the cards.

11. VIDEO: South Korea beat Iraq to reach first Asian Cup final since 1998

Jan 26, 2015, 8:34 AM EST

FBL-ASIA2015-KOR-IRQ FBL-ASIA2015-KOR-IRQ

The Koreans will face either Australia or the UAE in Saturday’s final in Sydney.

12. City’s Pellegrini concerned at home form after Arsenal, Middlesbrough losses

Jan 25, 2015, 11:33 PM EST

Britain Soccer FA Cup AP

“I am concerned, not because of Chelsea but because we didn’t score in our last two home games,” Pellegrini said.

13. Eto’o passes physical at Sampdoria, move from Everton all but official

Jan 25, 2015, 10:50 PM EST

twitter.com/sampdoria twitter.com/sampdoria

The 33-year-old Cameroonian striker joins a Sampdoria side currently tied for third in the table with 34 points.

14. Rodgers: Sturridge could face Chelsea in League Cup, certain to be back for Saturday vs. West Ham

Jan 25, 2015, 10:13 PM EST

Liverpool FC Training Session Getty Images

“If he’s not ready for Tuesday then he’ll be back, for sure, against West Ham next weekend,” Rodgers said.

15. Scotland, Wigan mid joins Chicago Fire as third Designated Player

Jan 25, 2015, 9:22 PM EST

twitter.com/chicagofire twitter.com/chicagofire

Maloney turned 32 on Saturday and will be unveiled by Chicago on Monday.

16. Sepp Blatter keeps talking trash at UEFA regarding FIFA election

Jan 25, 2015, 8:31 PM EST

FBL-FIFA-BALLONDOR-AWARD Getty Images

Sepp Blatter: Kind of like “The Godfather”. But let’s be clear, we’re talking “The Godfather: Part III”.

Top five Premier League goals: Week 22