ProSoccerTalk’s preseason predictions for: Conference champs, MLS Cup winner

Mar 1, 2013, 4:02 PM EDT

2012 MLS Cup - Houston Dynamo v Los Angeles Galaxy Getty Images

ProSoccerTalk’s Noah Davis says …

As for conference champions, I like D.C. United and the LA Galaxy. Ben Olsen can work magic, except it’s not really magic, it’s just hard work. Perry Kitchen will continue to develop into a leader and Nick DeLeon and Chris Pontius will lead the attack (barring injury of course, a big if with those two). As for the Galaxy, it’s a boring pick, but it’s the right one. The squad is too good, too skilled, too well-coached to suffer through another early-season slump.

On MLS Cup: Seattle Sounders. I don’t know; I just have a feeling. The playoffs are such a crapshoot, and it’s about time, you know?

ProSoccerTalk’s Richard Farley says …

As conference champions, I like D.C. United and the LA Galaxy.

Confession: I was the main push behind putting San Jose number one on our list two weeks ago, but now knowing a bit more about the Earthquakes and Galaxy, I’m flipping the script. I think San Jose is in survival mode to start the season, given their injuries. I also get the feeling they’re taking the long view of the season and might be willing to sacrifice points in April and May to get their guys ready for September and October. I think LA’s defense and Robbie Keane will keep them decent through the third act of the Donovan saga, and given how tight the West could be, I think that’s enough to switch the order.

In the East, I like D.C.’s team to continue improving. I’m not sold on the changes Sporting’s had to incur, and I think Ben Olsen and team will take a lot of pride in not only competing for the conference but potentially taking the Supporters’ Shield. This is D.C., after all.

For MLS Cup, I’ll take the Houston Dynamo.

Why now when they couldn’t win in 2011 or 2012? Because come December, I think Houston’s going to have the best team in the league. I’m not sure Dominic Kinnear is going to ride them so hard that they take the East, but come playoff time, I expect them to make their now-typical run. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a third-straight LA-Houston final, and nine months out, I like the Dynamo to take that one.

ProSoccerTalk’s Steve Davis says …

I’d like to be bold and pick Seattle to make the big breakthrough in the West – but I just cannot quite get there. The LA Galaxy back line is just too much better, and Robbie Keane will get 14-16 goals easily if he can carry all that momentum from the back half of 2012 into this year.

In the East – Here’s where I rescue this post from the rather boring prospect of all three of us picking the same doggone teams! – I’ll take the New York Red Bulls to slip past a D.C. United team that I do like a lot. (Man, the East is just stacked and packed this year, eh?) RBNY is just a shade under-strength on the outside midfield spots, but powerful everywhere else. Plus, if the look under Mike Petke most closely resembles a 4-2-3-1, they don’t really have flank midfield spots. Speaking of Petke, the players seem to be taking to him, and that added element of chemistry will go far. So, yes, I’m going there. I am picking the Red Bulls, ignoring the flashing red lights of history!

MLS Cup champion? I’m going back to the LA Galaxy. Reason: By summer, Landon Donovan will be dashing about at Full Donovan, and I can only assume a Frank Lampard or a Kaka will be bouncing around and getting the job done at the Home Depot Center. Three-peat! I’m calling it.

(MORE: full roster of PST preseason predictions and previews)

Latest Posts
  1. Sporting KC, Portland dominate in CONCACAF Champions League

Sep 24, 2014, 12:07 AM EDT

2013 MLS Cup - Real Salt Lake v Sporting Kansas City Getty Images

Sporting KC and the Portland Timbers both won easily in their CONCACAF Champions League group play matches.

2. MUST SEE: Full highlights of Liverpool’s epic penalty shootout

Sep 23, 2014, 10:46 PM EDT

Liverpool v Middlesbrough - Capital One Cup Third Round Getty Images

Watch the full, 15-round, 30-shot penalty shootout between Liverpool and Middlesbrough.

3. WATCH: Cristiano Ronaldo scores four as Madrid rout Elche

Sep 23, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT

Real Madrid CF v Elche CF - La Liga Getty Images

The 2013 Ballon d’Or winner awarded to the world’s best footballer now has nine goals in five games this season for Real Madrid.

4. Toronto FC breaks ground for stadium renovations

Sep 23, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT

Photo from Toronto FC. Photo from Toronto FC.

The two-phase plan is expected to be completed by May of 2016 and will cost an estimated $120 million.

5. Report: LA Galaxy eyeing move for Andrea Pirlo

Sep 23, 2014, 7:28 PM EDT

Comments Off
    Italy Training & Press Conference - 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil Getty Images

The 35-year-old midfielder won the World Cup with Italy in 2006 and is regarded as one of the best playmakers of his generation.

6. WATCH: Michael Bradley rips MLS, referees

Sep 23, 2014, 6:39 PM EDT

FBL-WC-2014-MATCH45-USA-GER Getty Images

The Toronto FC midfielder and U.S. international was fined for his harsh comments regarding the refereeing in Toronto’s draw with Chicago.

7. League Cup Roundup: Liverpool survive 15-round shootout, Arsenal out

Sep 23, 2014, 5:49 PM EDT

Liverpool v Middlesbrough - Capital One Cup Third Round Getty Images

Anfield played host to a match that saw two extra-time goals and a penalty shootout that went 15 rounds before the Reds could claim their place in the fourth round.

8. UEFA to investigate Partizan Belgrade for anti-Semitic banner

Sep 23, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT

FK Partizan v Neftci PFK - UEFA Europa League Getty Images

The Serbian club’s supporters were seen waving a banner displaying an anti-Semitic phrase during their Europa League match against Tottenham.

9. VIDEO: Jozy Altidore scores League Cup goal against Stoke

Sep 23, 2014, 4:08 PM EDT

Britain Soccer Premier League AP

Altidore is off and running for the 2014-15 season, watch his goal.

10. Three out of five is bad: CSKA Moscow faces racism charge for fan acts

Sep 23, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT

imgres

UEFA has already ruled — based on previous offenses — that CSKA’s match against Bayern Munich next week will be played in an empty stadium.

11. Manchester City’s Pellegrini won’t rule out Lampard loan extension

Sep 23, 2014, 2:22 PM EDT

Frank Lampard AP

What would Lampard want? Hard to tell from the weekend’s goal celebration or lack thereof?

12. ESPN sends Clint Dempsey out to ask people about USMNT captain (video)

Sep 23, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT

clint_dempsey AP

You do get the feeling they had to do a bunch of work to find people who failed to recognize Dempsey, if only because of the interviews that made the final cut.

13. League Cup third round preview: What qualifies as an upset?

Sep 23, 2014, 12:42 PM EDT

Britain Soccer League Cup AP

The possibilities for juicy upsets aren’t dancing through the slate of third round matches, but there’s plenty to look forward to…

14. Gyan to speak on journalist beating and refute human sacrifice rumors in press conference

Sep 23, 2014, 11:43 AM EDT

Brazil Soccer WCup Portugal Ghana AP

Ghana national teamer and Al Ain striker Asamoah Gyan has called a press conference to refute non-sensical claims that he killed his friend to gain magical powers.

15. Anfield $164m expansion approved; Liverpool’s home to near 59,000 cap

Sep 23, 2014, 10:53 AM EDT

_77766716_lfc_view01_final

Anfield has been Liverpool’s home since 1892, and the new construction is slated to finish in time for the start of the 2016/17 season.

16. PST’s Major League Soccer power rankings: Double(d) vision edition

Sep 23, 2014, 10:08 AM EDT

Sounders Union Soccer AP

Oh, the challenges that await a man altering another man’s power rankings.

17. US Soccer stands by Solo stance; Media backlash keeps on coming

Sep 23, 2014, 9:06 AM EDT

Mexico v United States Getty Images

Hope Solo advocates have been angered by some columns claiming she shouldn’t be playing, while a national pundit gives his take on the story

18. PST’s Major League Soccer player of the week: No question who was tops

Sep 23, 2014, 8:09 AM EDT

Bradley Wright-Phillips AP

Bradley Wright-Phillips, you may now step forward to collect your prize of Internet-based high-fives.

19. FIFA-outlined new head injury protocol will go up for vote

Sep 23, 2014, 7:40 AM EDT

West Ham United v Liverpool - Premier League Getty Images

It’s hard to imagine the new head safety measures won’t pass quickly, and reports say they could be in effect by October.

20. ICYMI: Insane 90-yard volley sets Bundesliga record for longest goal

Sep 23, 2014, 12:14 AM EDT

Stoppelkamp AP

Newly-promoted Paderborn is shocking the Bundesliga and providing quite the show in the process.

Week 5: Top five Premier League goals