Mar 2, 2013, 5:04 PM EDT
Didn’t we all just know that Sebastien Le Toux was going to have a fabulous run in Philadelphia this year, back at “home,” back to the place where he was an out-of-nowhere All-Star three years back?
Clearly, it’s early, but what a fabulous start the man is having. On his return to PPL Park, the Union striker struck for Major League Soccer’s opening goal of 2013.
The likeable Frenchman had 25 goals over two seasons in Philadelphia. But things weren’t nearly as groovy early last year after a trade took Le Toux to Vancouver, nor in New York when the second trade of 2012 yielded similarly inferior results.
But here we are, and what a start Le Toux had in Major League Soccer’s opener. The Union striker found all the gaps in a Sporting Kansas City back line that, getting little help from a disheveled midfield, came close to being overwhelmed in this one.
The Union generated three good chances in the first eight moments. Not long afterward, Le Toux had the breakthrough on a great feed from Keon Daniel. (And how much better could Le Toux’s Union return been but for a 23rd minute miss, a real forehead-thumper!)
Here’s your first goal from MLS 2013:
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land 5
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? 16
- Champions League Final infographic: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich 0
- NWSL Game of the Week: Sky Blue FC vs. FC Kansas City 0
- Yahoo! reports: Mourinho to sign 4-year deal with Chelsea, will be unveiled June 2 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (16)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional