Mar 3, 2013, 5:20 PM EDT
This is why our piece from earlier today, about the ongoing struggles of Chivas USA, has become such a real pressure point with MLS:
Because there are other, increasingly attractive options out there.
Sports Illustrated’s Grant Wahl reported today that MLS Commissioner Don Garber may be gaining more interest in South Florida as a potential league market. The Miami Fusion were I the league from 1998 until 2001, of course, but the Fusion demise was more about ownership that didn’t exactly have the financial staying power to play at the big table, less about flagging support in the market.
So, while Chivas USA languishes, an increasing number of attractive markets continue to present themselves.
A big popular debate around MLS is whether Garber is right to more or less insist that New York gain the league’s 20th franchise. It’s a point of contention because other markets, particularly Orlando, continue to build the case.
So … more and more, as the Chivas USA situation becomes untenable, people are asking: why can’t MLS do both?
- MLS Preview: Portland Timbers at LA Galaxy 0
- Goal, assist from Neymar give Brazil win, prolong Mexico’s woes 1
- MLS Preview: Houston Dynamo at Montréal Impact 0
- USA can theoretically clinch a World Cup berth in their next match 3
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team 25
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team (25)
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public