Mar 3, 2013, 12:38 AM EDT
- If U.S. international Juan Agudelo cannot start for this team, I’m not sure what to say. He apparently had some sort of foot injury, although there was no official injury report this week, so it’s difficult to sort that one. Agudelo did come on at halftime in Columbus 3-0 win.
- About manager Jose Luis Sanchez Sola and his “8-second rule” to regain possession that we heard about? I didn’t see much evidence of anything like that.
- On the other hand, the Chivas USA manager, the man they call El Chelis, looked as sharp as any MLS coach. Ever.
- The ol’ halftime double change for Chivas USA, with Miller Bolanos and Agudelo coming on? Generally speaking, it never says good things about a pre-game plan to expend two subs after 45 minutes. In this case, as the team and the manager are so new, perhaps they should get a pass.
- And the third Chivas USA sub was on in the 56th minute. Why wait, eh? What could possibly go wrong?
- Columbus was definitely the more organized team; then again, Columbus has always been a tight-and-right team under Robert Warzycha, not always winning, but always a bugger to play against because of that well-drilled structure.
- Federico Higuain’s early second half goal was a seeing-eye gem, from just short of 30 yards. Do yourself a favor and watch it below.
- Best battle most of the night: Eric Avila along the Chivas right and Eddie Gaven along the Columbus left. Gaven did the two-way work all night and provided the assist on Columbus’ late insurance goal.
- Also fromColumbus, the debuting Glauber and Chad Marshall were a tough central defensive pairing for the visitors.
- While the passing and structure for Chivas USA will need tons of work, the club did create some reasonable chances. Agudelo’s shot from 12 yards in the 71st minute (it flew high) will really hurt.
Oh, and the crowd … oh, my. At least it gave everyone on Twitter a chance to roll out their best zingers.
Higuain’s wonderful goal is here.
- Van Gaal has interest in Ronaldo, doesn’t think Real Madrid will sell 2
- Americans Abroad preview: Guzan looks to keep Villa rolling 0
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 5 1
- Euro 2020 semis, final to be played at Wembley Stadium 1
- Sloppy USWNT 4-0 win over Mexico adds fuel to turf conversation fire 0
- MLS’s new logo: Reddit (yes, Reddit) may have a way to solve the league’s new problem 19