Mar 3, 2013, 12:38 AM EDT
- If U.S. international Juan Agudelo cannot start for this team, I’m not sure what to say. He apparently had some sort of foot injury, although there was no official injury report this week, so it’s difficult to sort that one. Agudelo did come on at halftime in Columbus 3-0 win.
- About manager Jose Luis Sanchez Sola and his “8-second rule” to regain possession that we heard about? I didn’t see much evidence of anything like that.
- On the other hand, the Chivas USA manager, the man they call El Chelis, looked as sharp as any MLS coach. Ever.
- The ol’ halftime double change for Chivas USA, with Miller Bolanos and Agudelo coming on? Generally speaking, it never says good things about a pre-game plan to expend two subs after 45 minutes. In this case, as the team and the manager are so new, perhaps they should get a pass.
- And the third Chivas USA sub was on in the 56th minute. Why wait, eh? What could possibly go wrong?
- Columbus was definitely the more organized team; then again, Columbus has always been a tight-and-right team under Robert Warzycha, not always winning, but always a bugger to play against because of that well-drilled structure.
- Federico Higuain’s early second half goal was a seeing-eye gem, from just short of 30 yards. Do yourself a favor and watch it below.
- Best battle most of the night: Eric Avila along the Chivas right and Eddie Gaven along the Columbus left. Gaven did the two-way work all night and provided the assist on Columbus’ late insurance goal.
- Also fromColumbus, the debuting Glauber and Chad Marshall were a tough central defensive pairing for the visitors.
- While the passing and structure for Chivas USA will need tons of work, the club did create some reasonable chances. Agudelo’s shot from 12 yards in the 71st minute (it flew high) will really hurt.
Oh, and the crowd … oh, my. At least it gave everyone on Twitter a chance to roll out their best zingers.
Higuain’s wonderful goal is here.
- As Alex Ferguson says goodbye, Manchester United’s cupboard remains stocked 0
- Bayern Munich finish German season 25 points ahead of Borussia Dortmund 0
- England’s top four: Games that matter in the English Premier League’s last round 0
- Jamie Carragher set to close out his 16-year career at Anfield 0
- NWSL Game of the Week: Washington Spirit at Portland Thorns FC 1
- Live: Preakness Stakes preview show
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- Day 1 of Indy 500 Qualifying
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Chargers ink Freeney for 2 years, $8.5 million
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team
- Play Video: Red Bulls pull off win on the road
- Play Video: Highlights: Montreal extinguish Chicago