Mar 3, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
Dig around ProSoccerTalk for more layered analysis of opening night in Major League Soccer’s 18th season – or just hit the high points here if that is more to your liking:
Night’s biggest upset: That was in Seattle, where the second-year Montreal Impact, under a new coach, used a Davy Arnaud goal to slip past Seattle.
Night’s least surprising result: That was at the echoing and embarrassingly empty Home Depot Center, where the first match of the Jose Luis ‘Chelis’ Sanchez Sola’s team looked like a team without a plan in falling to Columbus, 3-0. It’s not surprising because Chivas USA seems to be going into 2013 with a very shaky course of action; we told you Columbus looked a team that could surprise a lot of people.
Best individual performances: Graham Zusi was in on all three goals as visiting Sporting Kansas City overcame an awful first 30 minutes to pull a 3-1 win out of Philadelphia. Ricardo Clark was strong for Houston in the club’s 2-0 win over D.C. United. And in Dallas, center backs George John and Matt Hedges were the backbone of FCD’s 1-0 win over Colorado, where the visitors ran the midfield but couldn’t get past Dallas’ commanding center backs.
The night’s best goal: Federico Higuain picked up where he left off for Columbus – before that late injury that slowed the Argentine playmaker’s momentum in 2012. Watch his shot from almost 30 yards last night.
The night’s howler: That was in Dallas, where Colorado goalkeeper Steward Ceus will need to put this one out of his mind … and right quick.
- FOLLOW LIVE — Copa America final: Messi, Argentina face hosts Chile 0
- Report: Robin van Persie agrees to personal terms with Fenerbahce 3
- Copa America Final preview: Argentina looks for first title since 1993 against hosts Chile 0
- Transfer Rumor Roundup: KPB to Orlando City, Liverpool in for Brazilian teen 4
- Klinsmann on USMNT’s win over Guatemala: “I’m not happy with that performance” 3
- 2011 Women’s World Cup final loss still burns in Abby Wambach’s memory 1