Mar 3, 2013, 8:49 AM EDT
No one likes to lose their home opener – most especially not the club that keeps obliterating attendance records.
But the Montreal Impact did the smash-and-grab thing last night to Seattle, downing the Sounders before 38,000-plus at Century Link Field.
Here’s why the Sounders throwing down a clunker will particularly resonate:
- It added misery to what was already a bit of a bummer day in the Sound; just hours before the kickoff, the club announced that it had bought out Christian Tiffert’s contract. The move was no stunner; the club is attempting to make room for Nigerian striker Obafemi Martins. They needed the cap space, the Designated Player slot and have ample midfield depth to cushion the blow. Still, no one relished seeing the German midfielder go.
- The loss, a shutout at home, adds pressure on the club’s ability to finalize the Martins deal. Sounds from all accounts like it will happen, but nothing is done until it’s done.
- Montreal is a team the Sounders should beat, especially at home. The Impact was great at home last year, especially for an expansion outfit, but just 2-12-3 away from Montreal. Plus, if there was a time that coach Marco Schallibaum and his men are vulnerable, it should be now, before the Swiss manager (an MLS newbie) gets more familiar with his team and the league.
- Finally, the Sounders have to get right quickly. Over the next 10 days they will decide their CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinal series against one of Mexico’s best of the moment, Tigres. First game in the home-and-away set is Wednesday in Monterrey.
Here is the goal that undid the Sounders, from Montreal captain and longtime MLS man Davy Arnaud:
Sep 2, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
At just 18 years old, Emerson Hyndman has come through the Fulham youth ranks and is turning heads at all levels. He speaks to ProSoccerTalk about the chances coming all at once.
Sep 2, 2014, 1:01 PM EDT
Blues sign full back to new long-term deal at Stamford Bridge.
Sep 2, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Scorpions reveal stunning stadium plans, as the latest lower-league side plans for MLS expansion.
Sep 2, 2014, 11:29 AM EDT
Cleverley arrives at Villa Park after late, late loan move on Deadline Day.
Sep 2, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
Speaking ahead of the USA’s clash in Prague, here’s what Klinsmann had to say.
Sep 2, 2014, 9:47 AM EDT
Bayern Munich midfielder to lead Germany after Lahm’s retirement.
Sep 2, 2014, 9:08 AM EDT
Where did the cash go? Who spent the most? Which records tumbled?
Sep 2, 2014, 8:26 AM EDT
Ronaldo’s not happy that Alonso, Di Maria were allowed to leave in the window.
Sep 2, 2014, 7:33 AM EDT
Is he a Red Devil or a Villan? Confusion over Cleverley.
Sep 1, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
“Today two powers were brought together, the hand of God and that of the Pope,” Maradona joked. No, really. That’s what he said.
Sep 1, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT
How do you think United will line up?
Sep 1, 2014, 10:29 PM EDT
From a 18-year-old Jamaican-English midfielder to a 34-year-old veteran goalkeeper, this team takes a ride through all types of players.
Sep 1, 2014, 9:38 PM EDT
In the end, the player had to come from the nine-goal thriller at Goodison Park.
Sep 1, 2014, 8:48 PM EDT
Rebecca Lowe, Robbie Earle and Robbie Mustoe bring you plenty of analysis on the summer transfer window’s Deadline Day.
Sep 1, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Passing or failing? Take a gander at how each Premier League team fared.
Sep 1, 2014, 8:32 PM EDT
Falcao signs for United, arrives on loan from Monaco with view to a permanent transfer.
Sep 1, 2014, 8:09 PM EDT
Manchester United’s Danny Welbeck went away to London for international break, and won’t return to the club after sealing a move to Arsenal.
Sep 1, 2014, 7:26 PM EDT
Nantes, Nottingham Forest and Aston Villa are all surprising early-season teams, and Americans are playing big roles in each club’s success.
Sep 1, 2014, 7:13 PM EDT
The biggest confirmed transfers on Deadline Day including Premier League teams.
Sep 1, 2014, 6:40 PM EDT
If Andre Villas-Boas thought Emmanuel Adebayor was hard to handle, wait til he gets a load of this American character.
- EXCLUSIVE: Fresh off his club debut, young Emerson Hyndman takes his USMNT chance in stride 0
- From Prague, with love: Klinsmann previews USA’s friendly vs. Czech Republic 4
- Record summer: Breaking the transfer window down, by the numbers 0
- Premier League transfer window grades – Which team did the best business? 3
- Done Deal: Radamel Falcao completes move to Manchester United 5
- Done Deal: Better late than never, Arsenal seals deal with Welbeck 2