Mar 3, 2013, 8:49 AM EDT
No one likes to lose their home opener – most especially not the club that keeps obliterating attendance records.
But the Montreal Impact did the smash-and-grab thing last night to Seattle, downing the Sounders before 38,000-plus at Century Link Field.
Here’s why the Sounders throwing down a clunker will particularly resonate:
- It added misery to what was already a bit of a bummer day in the Sound; just hours before the kickoff, the club announced that it had bought out Christian Tiffert’s contract. The move was no stunner; the club is attempting to make room for Nigerian striker Obafemi Martins. They needed the cap space, the Designated Player slot and have ample midfield depth to cushion the blow. Still, no one relished seeing the German midfielder go.
- The loss, a shutout at home, adds pressure on the club’s ability to finalize the Martins deal. Sounds from all accounts like it will happen, but nothing is done until it’s done.
- Montreal is a team the Sounders should beat, especially at home. The Impact was great at home last year, especially for an expansion outfit, but just 2-12-3 away from Montreal. Plus, if there was a time that coach Marco Schallibaum and his men are vulnerable, it should be now, before the Swiss manager (an MLS newbie) gets more familiar with his team and the league.
- Finally, the Sounders have to get right quickly. Over the next 10 days they will decide their CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinal series against one of Mexico’s best of the moment, Tigres. First game in the home-and-away set is Wednesday in Monterrey.
Here is the goal that undid the Sounders, from Montreal captain and longtime MLS man Davy Arnaud:
Oct 1, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
Who’s more interesting than Jurgen Klopp?
Oct 1, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Alves is ready to move to the Premier League. So what clubs might he fit in?
Oct 1, 2014, 7:58 PM EDT
A great deal for the Revs, who will be able to add Sporting players on loan much like NYCFC can add Manchester City players.
Oct 1, 2014, 7:02 PM EDT
Maradona pledged his support for the Palestinian cause back in 2012.
Oct 1, 2014, 6:14 PM EDT
Liverpool’s struggles continue. Here’s three things we learned as they remain winless in four.
Oct 1, 2014, 5:51 PM EDT
Take in a top-flight football match anywhere in Turkey and you’ll be hard-pressed not to see at least a few flares among the fans.
Oct 1, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT
After eight games on Wednesday, here’s what happened around Europe.
Oct 1, 2014, 4:53 PM EDT
The Gunners provided one of their most stunning performances of the season on Wednesday, dismantling Group D opponents Galatasaray 4-1.
Oct 1, 2014, 4:42 PM EDT
Lackluster Liverpool now level on points with Basel, face Real Madrid in next two matches.
Oct 1, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
“He scores when he wants. He scores when he wants. Danny Welbeck, he scores when he wants.”
Oct 1, 2014, 3:37 PM EDT
A first-half brace from Danny Welbeck and a third from Alexis Sanchez handed Arsenal some breathing room against Galatasaray.
Oct 1, 2014, 3:37 PM EDT
Arsenal are flying, so too are Leverkusen. Check out all the half time scores, here.
Oct 1, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
The Gunners opened the Champions League group stage in disappointing form, losing 2-0 to BVB.
Oct 1, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
Can the Reds make it two wins from two in the Champions League?
Oct 1, 2014, 1:56 PM EDT
Zenit, Monaco remain top of Group C after a dour draw in Saint Petersburg.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:38 PM EDT
Thierry Henry may be on his way out of New York City as turmoil at the top could drive him out.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:26 PM EDT
The two sides had some internet fun after yesterday’s 1-1 Champions League draw.
Oct 1, 2014, 12:20 PM EDT
The former president of CONMEBOL told Uruguayan TV that Suarez could return earlier than expected.
Oct 1, 2014, 11:40 AM EDT
That Wayne Rooney implosion? You’re gonna need Rog and Davo to break it down.
Oct 1, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
The US fringe player picked a terrible time to be injured, with the international break on the horizon.
- Report: Diego Maradona nearing deal to manage Palestinian National Team 1
- Three things we learned after Liverpool’s latest defeat, this time vs. Basel 5
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Arsenal cruise, Liverpool lose, Real Madrid win 1
- Arsenal 4-1 Galatasaray: Welbeck’s hat-trick leads 10-man Arsenal to victory 0
- Hat-Trick Hero: Danny Welbeck nails three in thumping of Galatasaray 1
- Report: Red Bull’s days in MLS are likely numbered 10