Mar 3, 2013, 8:49 AM EDT
No one likes to lose their home opener – most especially not the club that keeps obliterating attendance records.
But the Montreal Impact did the smash-and-grab thing last night to Seattle, downing the Sounders before 38,000-plus at Century Link Field.
Here’s why the Sounders throwing down a clunker will particularly resonate:
- It added misery to what was already a bit of a bummer day in the Sound; just hours before the kickoff, the club announced that it had bought out Christian Tiffert’s contract. The move was no stunner; the club is attempting to make room for Nigerian striker Obafemi Martins. They needed the cap space, the Designated Player slot and have ample midfield depth to cushion the blow. Still, no one relished seeing the German midfielder go.
- The loss, a shutout at home, adds pressure on the club’s ability to finalize the Martins deal. Sounds from all accounts like it will happen, but nothing is done until it’s done.
- Montreal is a team the Sounders should beat, especially at home. The Impact was great at home last year, especially for an expansion outfit, but just 2-12-3 away from Montreal. Plus, if there was a time that coach Marco Schallibaum and his men are vulnerable, it should be now, before the Swiss manager (an MLS newbie) gets more familiar with his team and the league.
- Finally, the Sounders have to get right quickly. Over the next 10 days they will decide their CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinal series against one of Mexico’s best of the moment, Tigres. First game in the home-and-away set is Wednesday in Monterrey.
Here is the goal that undid the Sounders, from Montreal captain and longtime MLS man Davy Arnaud:
Jul 22, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
Inter Milan and Queens Park Rangers have swooped in for two of the Bluebirds’ best players, and Vincent Tan probably isn’t too happy.
Jul 22, 2014, 8:42 PM EDT
Shaw speaks to PST: “Manchester United are the biggest club in the world. I didn’t think twice when they wanted to sign me.”
Jul 22, 2014, 8:39 PM EDT
When a guy many consider a footballing genius gives the United States coach praise, that’s a pretty cool feather in Klinsmann’s cap.
Jul 22, 2014, 7:40 PM EDT
Premier Leaguers in the U.S. on Tuesday = A day of open training sessions, autographs, football helmets and golf clubs.
Jul 22, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT
The 19-year-old is a promising prospect, but is dealing with negative headlines after being subject to abuse on Tuesday in Croatia.
Jul 22, 2014, 6:24 PM EDT
Fraser Forster will be sticking at Celtic, for now, after Southampton reportedly lowballed the Scottish powers.
Jul 22, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Hand on shoulder, hair-coiffed, warm smile… next! Becks makes the rounds on the United’s U.S. tour.
Jul 22, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
There have been reports of where the 32-year-old American left sider will not be going, but little as to where he will.
Jul 22, 2014, 3:56 PM EDT
For every “stars… they’re just like us” moment a player gives you, there are moments like this, which will not happen to 99.9999% of us at work in our lives
Jul 22, 2014, 2:22 PM EDT
Xavi set to remain at Barcelona until January, at least.
Jul 22, 2014, 2:04 PM EDT
Yeah. This is actually happened… as Stoke pull off a major coup.
Jul 22, 2014, 1:34 PM EDT
Guardiola: “He trains well, he’s a good guy and my first idea is that he’s going to stay for the rest of the season.”
Jul 22, 2014, 12:56 PM EDT
Will Lovren become the third Saints player to join Liverpool this summer? If the price is right, it sure looks that way.
Jul 22, 2014, 11:51 AM EDT
Where will Rodriguez line up next season for Real? Here’s an in-depth look at the options.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT
Second time around, Dunga will lead Brazil’s new era.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
What do you get for $107 million in today’s world? A red-hot 23-year-old Colombian striker, that’s what.
Jul 22, 2014, 9:25 AM EDT
Klopp says Hummels is not for sale… not at the price reported anyway.
Jul 22, 2014, 8:51 AM EDT
James is officially a Real Madrid player.
Jul 22, 2014, 8:42 AM EDT
Douglas Costa: “We all run a deadly risk if we are in the region.”
Jul 22, 2014, 7:49 AM EDT
Will the Colombian winger be heading to Old Trafford this summer?
- EXCLUSIVE: Luke Shaw speaks out about Manchester United move 0
- Pep Guardiola praises Jurgen Klinsmann’s team concept, USMNT movement 0
- Premier League teams on US Soil: Tuesday’s roundup and look ahead 2
- Racial incident against Man City’s Fofana ends U-21 match in Croatia 0
- Sorting through the most recent DaMarcus Beasley-to-MLS reports 3
- Report: Xavi’s move to New York City FC collapses, will remain at Barcelona 4