Mar 3, 2013, 11:58 PM EST
It took just 10 minutes to see that matches involving the Portland Timbers, under new coach Caleb Porter and a whole new style, would be infinitely more watchable than before.
The atmosphere was always lovely, of course. Now there’s eye-pleasing soccer to match the atmospheric aesthetic, with higher pressure, overlapping fullbacks, quicker passing. And Diego Valeri! He’s going to be something for the Timbers.
Not to mention that wider field (two yards on either side, four yards total, all of which helps more than you might think).
And what a match! Truly, the Timbers’ 3-3 draw with New York on Sunday from Jeld-Wen Field (sold out for a 35th consecutive time) proved wildly entertaining.
The full highlights are here – and they are splendid:
- Arsene Wenger says Arsenal could spend big in January, if the deals are right 0
- Real Madrid outclass San Lorenzo, win 2014 Club World Cup 6
- Premier League Sunday preview: Loaded morning sees Tyne-Wear Derby and Liverpool vs. Arsenal 0
- Premier League roundup: Goals galore as Saints, Tottenham, QPR, Man City win 0
- WATCH: Match of the Day – Recap Saturday’s madness in the Premier League 0
- After “two points dropped” at Aston Villa, Wayne Rooney says media was driving title talk 0