Mar 3, 2013, 11:58 PM EST
It took just 10 minutes to see that matches involving the Portland Timbers, under new coach Caleb Porter and a whole new style, would be infinitely more watchable than before.
The atmosphere was always lovely, of course. Now there’s eye-pleasing soccer to match the atmospheric aesthetic, with higher pressure, overlapping fullbacks, quicker passing. And Diego Valeri! He’s going to be something for the Timbers.
Not to mention that wider field (two yards on either side, four yards total, all of which helps more than you might think).
And what a match! Truly, the Timbers’ 3-3 draw with New York on Sunday from Jeld-Wen Field (sold out for a 35th consecutive time) proved wildly entertaining.
The full highlights are here – and they are splendid:
- Report: Marco Reus is out for 2014 with torn ankle ligament 0
- Premier League Sunday preview: Liverpool, Spurs take to road to face fellow strugglers Palace, Hull 1
- Premier League roundup: Wins for Manchester United, Chelsea, Burnley (video) 0
- WATCH: Messi’s teammates repeatedly toss him in air after breaking La Liga record 1
- Marquee win proves van Gaal’s Manchester United on the right track 0
- Three things we learned from Manchester United’s big win at Arsenal 0