Mar 3, 2013, 11:58 PM EDT
It took just 10 minutes to see that matches involving the Portland Timbers, under new coach Caleb Porter and a whole new style, would be infinitely more watchable than before.
The atmosphere was always lovely, of course. Now there’s eye-pleasing soccer to match the atmospheric aesthetic, with higher pressure, overlapping fullbacks, quicker passing. And Diego Valeri! He’s going to be something for the Timbers.
Not to mention that wider field (two yards on either side, four yards total, all of which helps more than you might think).
And what a match! Truly, the Timbers’ 3-3 draw with New York on Sunday from Jeld-Wen Field (sold out for a 35th consecutive time) proved wildly entertaining.
The full highlights are here – and they are splendid:
- PST’s MLS Rookie of the Year: Shipp, Hagglund, Akindele or Birnbaum? 0
- It’s official: World No. 3 Colombia to face USMNT in London on Nov. 14 0
- VIDEO: Top 10 goals of the MLS season (heading into the final weekend) 2
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Madrid clubs, Borussia Dortmund roll 0
- Three things we learned as Real Madrid rout Liverpool 0
- Arsenal’s Podolski, Gibbs break Belgian hearts in left-for-late win 0