Mar 3, 2013, 11:58 PM EST
It took just 10 minutes to see that matches involving the Portland Timbers, under new coach Caleb Porter and a whole new style, would be infinitely more watchable than before.
The atmosphere was always lovely, of course. Now there’s eye-pleasing soccer to match the atmospheric aesthetic, with higher pressure, overlapping fullbacks, quicker passing. And Diego Valeri! He’s going to be something for the Timbers.
Not to mention that wider field (two yards on either side, four yards total, all of which helps more than you might think).
And what a match! Truly, the Timbers’ 3-3 draw with New York on Sunday from Jeld-Wen Field (sold out for a 35th consecutive time) proved wildly entertaining.
The full highlights are here – and they are splendid:
- Looking back on 2013: Talking through Real Salt Lake’s path to MLS Cup 0
- WATCH: PST Extra – Will Everton upset Arsenal? Can Man United bounce back vs. Newcastle? 0
- Prindi’s Premier League Picks: Sunderland and Everton to upset odds 4
- Kyle Martino chats Andre Villas-Boas drama and Premier League parity 0
- Mike Magee Wins 2013 MLS Most Valuable Player Award 5
- USA fear toughest ever World Cup draw but relish chance to make history 5
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: Everything you need to know 3
- Premier League Playback: Moyes needs more, Suarez is Superman, Altidore (finally) off the mark 4
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (20)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (18)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- World Cup Draw: United States in Pot Three (11)