Mar 4, 2013, 5:31 PM EDT
American goalkeeper Brad Guzan was nothing less than outstanding, keeping Aston Villa in the game against defending EPL champion Manchester City. In the end, he couldn’t do enough as a gift goal to City was enough for a 1-0 win at Villa Park.
The game’s only goal Monday came courtesy a mistake from Villa defender Ciaran Clark – one that reminded me way too much of Claudio Reyna’s unfortunate mistake against Ghana as the United States crashed out of World Cup 2006.)
You, the good, sweet, clean U.S. Soccer supporter, should care about Guzan and Villa this for two reasons:
First, we don’t know the full extent of Tim Howard’s injury at Everton. If the longtime United States No. 1 cannot get himself sorted out in time, Guzan will be next man up for a huge U.S. World Cup qualifier. In just more than two weeks, Jurgen Klinsmann’s team will be in Denver to meet Costa Rica in a match that must be had – otherwise the American World Cup qualification effort will be nearing the skids.
Also, another point or three points dropped puts Guzan and Aston Villa a little closer to that perilous drop. Villa is currently in the drop zone, if only by virtue of goal difference. A drop into the English Championship probably won’t adversely dent Guzan’s development, but it might have some adverse effect. Or, if could prompt a sell-off, which might mean a move for Guzan. And we just never know how these things turn out.
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 0
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 2
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top (video) 0
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return
- Aberdeen March on in Scottish FA Cup
- 2014 MLS Season: Rebuilding The San Jose Earthquakes