Mar 4, 2013, 5:31 PM EDT
American goalkeeper Brad Guzan was nothing less than outstanding, keeping Aston Villa in the game against defending EPL champion Manchester City. In the end, he couldn’t do enough as a gift goal to City was enough for a 1-0 win at Villa Park.
The game’s only goal Monday came courtesy a mistake from Villa defender Ciaran Clark – one that reminded me way too much of Claudio Reyna’s unfortunate mistake against Ghana as the United States crashed out of World Cup 2006.)
You, the good, sweet, clean U.S. Soccer supporter, should care about Guzan and Villa this for two reasons:
First, we don’t know the full extent of Tim Howard’s injury at Everton. If the longtime United States No. 1 cannot get himself sorted out in time, Guzan will be next man up for a huge U.S. World Cup qualifier. In just more than two weeks, Jurgen Klinsmann’s team will be in Denver to meet Costa Rica in a match that must be had – otherwise the American World Cup qualification effort will be nearing the skids.
Also, another point or three points dropped puts Guzan and Aston Villa a little closer to that perilous drop. Villa is currently in the drop zone, if only by virtue of goal difference. A drop into the English Championship probably won’t adversely dent Guzan’s development, but it might have some adverse effect. Or, if could prompt a sell-off, which might mean a move for Guzan. And we just never know how these things turn out.
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public