Mar 4, 2013, 9:12 AM EDT
Chris Wondolowski’s first match as a newly anointed Designated Player, only the fourth U.S. man ever to gain Major League Soccer’s high-salary tag, could not have gone much worse.
The league’s scoring leader last year, with a record-matching 27 goals, missed several chances as the Earthquakes lost at home to Real Salt Lake. That’s hardly the way the reigning Supporters Shield winners envisioned the next campaign getting started. And it’s certainly not way “Wonder Wondo” wanted to launch his DP days.
But the leading goal-banger of Buck Shaw will be fine. He’s got 33 matches ahead (although likely Gold Cup duty will probably pull Wondolowski away for some summer matches.)
Goal scoring is not the only reason to like Wondolowski. The league’s reigning MVP has always worked hard and he doesn’t make waves. Plus, clearly, he’s OK taking responsibility.
A little unlucky, but pretty bad finishing by me. Horrible finishing by me. I had four clear looks and didn’t make Rimando make a save. … If I score those in the first half, it puts the game away. We’re cruising in the second half and have three points in our pocket.”
- Stock Falling: Which U.S. players’ statures are slipping … 1
- Get to your DVRs as soon as possible, because that Italy-Japan match was a classic 1
- Stock Rising: United States men whose values are rising out of Salt Lake 2
- MLS Preview: Portland Timbers at LA Galaxy 0
- Goal, assist from Neymar give Brazil win, prolong Mexico’s woes 2
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team (29)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Orlando City dumps Sporting Kansas City out of U.S. Open Cup, extend unbeaten streak to 14 matches (13)
- It’s time FIFA reconsiders the Confederations Cup bid to the Oceania region (13)
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public