Mar 4, 2013, 11:03 AM EDT
The changes around LA Galaxy’s business end were coming, as we all knew.
Today comes a big one as the Home Depot Center, now 10 years old but still one of the land’s premier professional soccer venues, is set to become the StubHub Center. The new name should be become official in June.
News was out last September that Galaxy owner Phil Anschutz would begin selling off AEG and his stake in the Galaxy. That included the Home Depot Center, just south of Los Angeles in suburban Carson.
News fell about six weeks ago that the Galaxy and Home Depot Center would not renew their agreement. That had been worth $70 million over 10 years for AEG.
StubHub, a giant in the “secondary ticket market,” which is a fancy way of saying they are sanctioned ticket scalpers, has been looking to increase its soccer attachments.
- Three things we learned from the USMNT’s late 1-1 draw in Switzerland 0
- Player ratings: Stars and flops for the USMNT in 1-1 draw at Switzerland 8
- Switzerland 1-1 USMNT: Another late equalizer cancels out Shea’s stunner 2
- VIDEO: Watch Brek Shea’s stunning free kick for USA against Switzerland 2
- Lineups out for USMNT vs. Switzerland: Williams, Morales, Shea come in; diamond in midfield 2
- VIDEO: Watch Real Madrid’s Gareth Bale dominate NBA’s half court challenge 0